News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Oil on my right boot ?

Started by leatherskin, September 04, 2012, 06:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leatherskin

Pulled the tank and fairings off today.The valve cover looks as dry as a nuns c--t.The wet spot(oil ?) is only on the right side front of the cylinder ,not on the head or the front or rear of the cylinder.More of a sweating or weep than a drip or leak as such.There is a screw on the right side that the clymer says is used to prime/bleed the oil system after a rebuild,it's not from there either.
Is it possible what I saw on my boot is actually fuel residue from the overflows working its way forward ?
Perhaps the oil at the cylinder head joint is another issue entirely ?
The oil (?) on the cylinder is only where the head and cylinder meet and extends about a half inch around the front and about two inches along the side of the barrel.It is only on the join ,not above or below.
Unfortunately the photos I took today are not very clear ,so I will try to get a decent shot tomorrow for you.

AustinFJ

I have actually had a very similar issue (oil on my right boot after a ride) and found it to be the crankshaft end seal.  Check the cap seal under the crankshaft cover plate.  Mine was a mystery for a while as it seems the airflow right there goes every which-way and blows a little oil into many, many places.  I got a replacement seal from Randy and while all the manuals say that you have to split the cases to change it, Randy had stated that you can fit the seal without doing so.  I had actually put a little silicone sealant around the old seal while still in place, just to see if that was indeed the issue, and have not had an oily boot since.  If that fails, I'll put the new seal in place.

Easy to check. And if that's not it, no harm done.   
Actually, a guy can live by motorcycling alone.

Although it might require multiple bikes. :D

racerrad8

David,

You are correct...after a 16 hour day at Disneyland, then dinner to follow, bed after 2am I wasn't thinking quite clearly at 8am when I wrote that.

The oil galley to the head is on the R/S, the two outer studs that are sealed around the dowels by the dowel seal.

L/S,

Make sure it is not the cooler blowing back onto the area you are talking about. The ports for the cooler are in the vicinity you are describing. Try and get the photo up when you get a chance.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

leatherskin

Sorry for not posting a photo,I can't get it to work.I did a search on how to and tried to follow fjmonkey's advice but to no avail.
The oil is only on the right side of the cylinder from the head gasket join down about four fins.It doesn't extend to the rear and has crept about an inch around the front.The oil isn't from the cooler or the lines nor the valve cover.It appears to be leaking from the head gasket and no where else.
The oil fill cap seems to have sweated or breathed a bit so that probably explains the oil on the boot.(Thanks Racerman,shows I should look first and panic last).  Doesn't explain the cylinder leak though !

leatherskin

Took the bike for a ride today,the oil isn't from the filler cap so must be from the head gasket.More money ! Does it ever end,perhaps I should admit defeat and buy a newer more reliable bike.

fj11.5

there is a good brand head gasket on eBay , cheap enough , in aus ,, he has a few other gaskets too , , not too hard to change, I did it after sitting at home for two weeks recovering from brain surgery , so you should be ok  :good2:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

FJmonkey

Quote from: fj11.5 on September 11, 2012, 06:15:30 AM
there is a good brand head gasket on eBay , cheap enough , in aus ,, he has a few other gaskets too , , not too hard to change, I did it after sitting at home for two weeks recovering from brain surgery , so you should be ok  :good2:
Now there is one hell of an endorsement.... Changing your FJ head gasket is not brain surgery, but you can do it right after it.......
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

leatherskin

Quote from: fj11.5 on September 11, 2012, 06:15:30 AM
Thanks for looking for me appreciate it and the words of encouragement are choice,just get a bit frustrated at times.

fj11.5

yes the girls can be frustrating mate,  , no worries about looking for you , all good ,,
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

racerrad8

Get some photos posted. If you cannot get them to the website, get the to a host website like Photobucket and I can take a look at them. The location you are seeing oil is troubling me as the only oil source is at the right two stud at the very right of the engine. For the oil to be at the front and in on the head does not seem like it could be coming from the outside stud grommet.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJmonkey

Leatherskin, take a crack at posting one photo. When we see the post (even if we can't see the pic) we can look at the code and guide you on what you need to do to post them. Then you will be able to post when ever you want.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

leatherskin

Thanks for the encouragement ,I will try again for a photo. p.s. this makes working on the carbys seem a piece of cake. Don't think it worked again,appreciate any help.

1tinindian

Quote from: leatherskin on September 14, 2012, 06:39:29 AM
Thanks for the encouragement ,I will try again for a photo. p.s. this makes working on the carbys seem a piece of cake. Don't think it worked again,appreciate any help.

Click on the IMG code next the picture in you photobucket account and it will copy automatically, then just paste it in you message box here on FJOwners.com, like this...

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

1tinindian

There, I did it again!
Easy Peasy, lemon squeezy!
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

leatherskin

Thanks for the pointers ,I actually cheated a bit and sent the pics to the ever helpful Randy. His diagnosis is the dowel seals on the outer studs as he stated in his last reply on this forum. How good is this fellow ? He has certainly won my praise,again !
Thanks 1tinindian for posting the pics for others to see,hopefully next time I will be able to manage it.