News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Oil on my right boot ?

Started by leatherskin, September 04, 2012, 06:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leatherskin

I took the FJ for a ride this afternoon and discovered oil on my right boot (foot) when I returned home.I do vaguely remember another member asking a similar question about oil on his boot also but am unable to find it again.I would be appreciative if someone pointed me to the post in question. I also noticed the head gasket appears to be weeping oil on the front right side so I guess this is where it came from. I wish this was another one of those minor quirks I could ignore,but fear it may turn out to be terminal for the bike(at least temporarily). Can anyone offer me any insight as to the possible cause and obviously the cure ? I'm guessing a blown head gasket,but is this common ? I have no idea if the head has ever been removed in the past,probably has as the mileage is about 73000.It's an 86 1TX if that matters.

andyb

This and this were all I found with a quick searching.

Then I went to here and searched a little differently, and got some more hits.

Doublecheck the valavecover screws first though, they're a frequent source of leakage.

Derek Young

Check valve cover screws, valve cover gasket, front brake caliper and fork seals. 

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

fj1289

...also check the oil filler cap is screwed on!  DAMHIK!   :dash2:

Pat Conlon

Ok I'll play..... Not the valve cover bolts exactly, but the valve cover grommets that seal the bolts.
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN these valve cover bolts, you will strip the aluminum threads in the head.
It's the grommets that cause the leak.

Also...

On the right side, at the top of the crank case, there is a vent tube which should extend up to your airbox.
Check to see if this crank case vent tube is connected both at the airbox, and at the top of the crankcase..
We get a bunch of blow by from our engines, and with it carries a mist of oil.

Also,

Check around your cam chain adjuster.

When in doubt, wash your engine and blow corn starch or baby powder in the areas so you can easily see where the problem is....

Please report back to us, and let us know what you found..... Cheers!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

andyb

^^

This prolly will prove helpful.

Quotecam chain adjuster.

Often called a tensioner.   :good2:

leatherskin

Thanks for all the replies !
These are my observations ;
My forks don't leak
I have a crankcase breather from Randy  (relatively new and seems reasonably clean)
rebuilt the clutch slave and replaced the hose,no leaks
no leaks from the oil cooler or lines
the front calipers have also had new seals and don't leak
yes,the oil fill cap is tight and doesn't appear to leak
the timing chain tensioner and surrounds are oil free as is the valve cover
it doesn't appear to blow any smoke,hard to tell when riding
I do regular oil changes,it uses about a liter every 1000 or so miles (miles not km,it's a 1TX)
I use a well known motorcycle oil (don't want to mention brands and side track things)
haven't tested the compression yet,the compression tester is still on it's way
The oil is only on the right front upper corner of the cylinder where it meets the head,nothing on the head or above it.
Thanks for pointing me towards the previous discussions but this appears a little different
and finally sorry if I posted this twice,I'm not a computer geek and I timed out half way through typing(yes ,I'm a one finger typist,slow).
Brendan.

fj11.5

maybe the base gasket , I owned a gsx , used to leak oil from the base gasket onto my right boot, but would never spray back into the bike unless in a bad cross wind , only found where it was leaking from one day as it pooled behind the head near the starter motor cover
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

RichBaker

Quote from: andyb on September 04, 2012, 08:14:39 AM
This and this were all I found with a quick searching.

Then I went to here and searched a little differently, and got some more hits.

Doublecheck the valavecover screws first though, they're a frequent source of leakage.

More likely the VC screw seals.... they get old and deteriorate. DON'T try to just torque on them, they are stepped and WILL break.....
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

leatherskin

Thanks again for all the effort trying to diagnose my problem.I know it is very hard to do sight unseen.Took the bike into Bundy bike wreckers and got some free advice from the local guru Kerry Ellis.It is a leaking head gasket,but being such a small weep he suggested leaving things be till it becomes a problem.I'm currently saving to replace the timing chain (due to the mileage) so I guess that will be the time to deal with the leak as well.Big relief to know I can still ride her,but with a very watchful eye in case things progress . The best part is I now feel as though I am a member of the FJ owners family instead of just another dickhead with a bike.The support has been fantastic.In case you missed it THANKS VERY MUCH ,you deserve it.

racerrad8

Since there is no oil at the right side if the engine, I am still thinking v/c gasket & grommets.

The only place the head gasket can leak oil is from the left side studs which are the oil galley to the head, and in that location at the head gasket, there are dowel seals.

You need to clean the upper engine and pin point the leak.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Pat Conlon

Is this forum cool? That little nugget of info is good to know...thanks Randy!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

leatherskin

Quote from: racerrad8 on September 05, 2012, 11:08:12 AM
Since there is no oil at the right side if the engine, I am still thinking v/c gasket & grommets.

The only place the head gasket can leak oil is from the left side studs which are the oil galley to the head, and in that location at the head gasket, there are dowel seals.

You need to clean the upper engine and pin point the leak.

Randy - RPM
Now you got me worried again Randy.I will pull the fairings and tank of today and let you know what I find.As Pat says ,a very helpful bit of insight.Praises again!

racerman_27410

I have personally seen oil on the right boot before... but it was when hoffman left his oil filler cap at the service station during a rally ride.....he fashioned a crude substitute with a soda bottle cap, tape, a stick and some wire.... i've got a pic of it somewhere.

KOokaloo!

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: racerrad8 on September 05, 2012, 11:08:12 AM

Isn't the oil galley (up from the pump) on the right side of the motor (as sitting on the bike)?

I remember my manual saying to install the copper head washers on the left side of the head, but it seemed to make more sense to install them on the right side studs to seal the oil galley.

Am I missing something?

DavidR.