News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Runs with Choke but dies without it.

Started by ForgottenFJ, July 10, 2012, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForgottenFJ

I am trying to get my 1986 FJ1200 back together and running after being off the road for 16 years, I took the carbs off and had a Tech here at work go through them.  He completely disassembled them and cleaned everything, I put them on and it will start with the choke but as soon as I shut off the choke it sputters and dies.  I took the carbs back off and checked the connectors, they look great they are still very pliable and have no cracks in them, I made sure the carbs were seated correctly and even used dielectric grease to help seal them, but I still have the same issue. I turned the idle screw on the bottom of the rack all the way in, but still no change. I try to rev it up with the throttle and it spits and sputters, I have no clue what to try next, I was so mad Saturday that I about pushed it out beside the road with a free sign on it.  I started this as a way to try to relax but find more aggravation than relaxation, I guess I will stick with cars at least I understand them (well the old ones anyway) all help appreciated, Thanks  :dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2:
1986 FJ1200

SlowOldGuy

Assuming everything is installed correctly and there's no huge vacuum leak, then it sounds to me like your "Tech" did not get the idle circuit clean.  Very small jets and passages in the idle circuit are easily clogged and sometimes hard to get totally clean. 

Ask him if he removed the idle mixture screws.

DavidR.

andyb

Ayup.  Pilots are pluggered up!

The pilot jets need cleaned, the mix screws need pulled, and the passage between the two needs cleaned.  Assuming nothing major is screwy, that'll sort it.

yamaha fj rider

Andy and David called it right sounds like it needs to go back to your tech for some more cleaning. Sorry for the bad news.  :sorry:

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

RichBaker

Yep... classic symptoms of a clogged pilot/mixture circuit.......
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

andyb

Well, before blaming the guy who did the cleaning... if you run gas that's full of particulate crap, it'll do this almost immediately to even the cleanest of carbs.

yamaha fj rider

Andy true after sitting that long could have junk in the tank. But either way it will need to be cleaned again.  (popcorn)

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

ForgottenFJ

I don't have the tank on it yet, I have been using a gas bottle hooked to the hose, and the carbs were completely disassembled and cleaned out, all the screws were removed and the passages cleaned. I looked over everything when he had them apart, he left nothing together. I will be taking them back off to have him recheck them anyway. Thanks for all the Help.  :good: :good: :good: :good:
1986 FJ1200

racerrad8

Make sure he took out the pilot jets...

They are down in the well behind the main jet and look like this; Pilot Jet

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Derek Young

With carbs there's clean then there's CLEAN! You need the latter. Also, when running without the tank on, make sure to plug the vacuum line that goes to the petcock.

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

ForgottenFJ

Well after a very long delay in getting my carbs back, Yes there was junk in the idle circuit like was suggested by many on here. I installed them this morning and it fired right up and purred like a kitten, it was an amazing feeling to see it sitting running after so long, it will need a good sync, but it lives.  I was excited to actually sit on it and feel it move by its own power as I pulled it back in the shed, it hasn't moved on its own since 1996.  My daughter especially loved the part when I throttled it up to pull up over the ledge in front of the door and it spit dirt off the back wheel, it kind of reminded me of the old dirt bike days.  Next project is to get the tank put back on and I need to do some repairs on my upper fairing and of course the reassembly of everything else, it needs a new mirror and maybe a side vent, not to sure mine can be fixed, but at least it runs again. Its been this long I don't think a few more weeks will make much difference, well thanks for all the help I am sure I will need more as this project progresses. :good: :good: :good: :good:
1986 FJ1200

FJmonkey

It is alive!!!! Good to hear, any life brought back is grounds for Kookaloo like celebration. Now get some miles on the beast and some smiles on your face..... 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

yamaha fj rider

Congrats on getting it running again. Check out the files section for mirror upgrade cheaper than stock. Keep us posted.  :yahoo:

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

ForgottenFJ

I am curious I found some pieces of what looked like plastic under the bike after it was running, I found some in the shed too. The pieces are kind of reddish brown and are flat and looked like they used to be circular, I don't remember anything that looked like that when I had it apart.  I thought about exhaust gaskets but never seen gaskets that were plastic like that in an exhaust system, I will have to take apart the pipes to see if that's where they came from... :dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2:
1986 FJ1200

yamaha fj rider

Quote from: ForgottenFJ on September 11, 2012, 03:52:30 PM
I am curious I found some pieces of what looked like plastic under the bike after it was running, I found some in the shed too. The pieces are kind of reddish brown and are flat and looked like they used to be circular, I don't remember anything that looked like that when I had it apart.  I thought about exhaust gaskets but never seen gaskets that were plastic like that in an exhaust system, I will have to take apart the pipes to see if that's where they came from... :dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2:
Send some pictures if you can. Hope this helps.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES