News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Won't start (Intermittant) and I'm OUT of ideas

Started by Capn Ron, May 16, 2012, 07:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvy

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on May 18, 2012, 11:17:36 AM
Harvy,
It's on my '85 in the stock location under the left side cover attached to the battery box.

This weekend, I'm going to start swapping out parts with the other Dyna setup that I have.  I intended to install the 2nd set on my '93, but I'm starting to think twice about it.

I put the system on the '85 out of fear that the stock ignition would fail.  It's been on there about 6 years.  A few weeks after installation, it stranded me on the side of the road when a coil went bad and the whole unit shut down.  This is different, at least I can limp home on 2 cylinders.  But I can't get it to do it long enough to figure out what's causing it.

DavidR.

Interesting David.....and sorry to hi-jack this thread.
Just wondering if your symptoms are heat related.

I installed mine in the tail section beside the tool kit.....stuffed it inside a stubby cooler for protection..... found the loom is just long enough in this location away from all heat sources.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Capn Ron

Just wanted to update this thread on the resolution.  After eliminating about everything we could figure would cause a bike not to start intermittently, it came down to timing.  When the bike started, it's timing was right on.  When it just cranked, the timing was off by 180 degrees.  The only thing on the bike that makes that timing decision is the ignitor.  A couple of you suggested that might be the culprit...thank you ALL for your input!!!  I then called our very own RPM Randy and ran this theory by him.  He asked a couple of pointed questions and said, "Yep...that's the only thing it could be!"

Now pondering how I could get my hands on a good ignitor to continue this (now likely)12000 mile trip, he volunteered:  "I'll just ship you out this one from my race car that I'm not using at the moment...just return it when you get back to Los Angeles."  Wow...just WOW.  It arrived in South Carolina in two days, plugged it in and all is well again.  I've put 1500 more miles on it in a week and it starts 100% of the time.

While the bike was non-operational, Randy also sent me out a new 17 tooth front sprocket and new 40t rear...super service and great prices.  yep...Randy rocks.  I got an EK ZZZ chain to replace the DID 530NZ the last dealer put on (yes you read that right).  The bike is like new again.

Thanks again to all...and especially Randy...  I'm off to Nova Scotia in a few days and will run Canada from East coast to West Coast and then down PCH to home.  Couldn't do this with out the support out there!

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

fj11.5

now thats fantastic service, , glad your kookaloo came back  :good2:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

miked

Quote from: Capn Ron on May 28, 2012, 11:03:50 PM
he volunteered:  "I'll just ship you out this one from my race car that I'm not using at the moment...just return it when you get back to Los Angeles."  Wow...just WOW.  It arrived in South Carolina in two days, plugged it in and all is well again. 
Thanks again to all...and especially Randy...  I'm off to Nova Scotia in a few days and will run Canada from East coast to West Coast and then down PCH to home.  Couldn't do this with out the support out there!

Cap'n Ron. . .

Well done mate, glad to hear your back on the road.

If Randy set up shop in Australia, he would be permanently drunk......Our currency for helping a mate out, is to buy him a beer.
This is just another reason why we should all be supporting such a marvelous asset, as having Randy in this group.
A pox on anyone who doesn't buy from him and use his services. :diablo:

Cheers

Mike.