News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Wont start yet

Started by FJTillDeath, May 07, 2012, 12:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJTillDeath

So this is more an update than a problem.

Rebuilt the forks and the carbs, put bike back together with the new unipods, new oil and new iridium spark plugs.

Tried to fire her up, no good, battery dead from last attempt about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Charged it fully last night. Very chilly this morning. Tried on full choke, no luck.

Fuel tap on primer setting. not sure what to diagnose as yet. Cant balance carbs until I can get the bike started...Gonna try again later on this afternoon when its warmer as the bike would fire straight up on warm days before the rebuild.

Any ideas what it might be?(Yeah I know it could really be anything, just wanna know what I need to look out for first)
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling

Mark Olson

check the simple stuff first.

make sure plugs have correct wires on them , coil on left  goes to 1/4 right to 2/3

make sure fuel is reaching carbs by opening the drain screw at the bottom of each fuel bowl and see if fuel comes out.

did you squeeze the excess oil out of the uni-pods , if they are totally soaked, no air will flow to start your fj.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJTillDeath

Ah, I will try squeeze the pods of excess oil, I was not too sure of how much excess would be excess (I took a cloth and attempted to dry them off)

I didnt even realise the plugs had specific wires as I just put the ones I took off onto the same place plug

I will check the drain bowl as well as Im not sure if the carbs are indeed recieving fuel(I turned the idle screw up quite a bit just to make sure..cant really tell where it will idle until it starts). I only put 2 liters of fuel back into the tank as I wasnt sure if it would start and I would need to drain the tank again. This wouldnt be a problem though?

I will check during my lunch time as its warming up nicely outisde. That reminds me..I still have to put brake fluid back into the front brake reservoir and bleed the brakes :dash1: where'd I put that syringe...

flips

Might be time to try the "prime" position on the petcock too...

Cheers :drinks:

Jeff P
Stay rubber side down.

FJTillDeath

Quote from: FJTillDeath on May 07, 2012, 12:51:12 AM

Fuel tap on primer setting.
Quote from: flips on May 07, 2012, 03:37:42 AM
Might be time to try the "prime" position on the petcock too...

Cheers :drinks:

Jeff P

Haha already on the prime position :i_am_so_happy:. Just an hour til lunch now, so Im gonna go see if I can get her started in the heat, then ride her to the nearest motorcycle shop and get the carbs synced there. I figured I would rather get it done professionally for now

flips

Stay rubber side down.

FJTillDeath

So....

Bike would not start after everything. Eventually I tried turning the idle screw a bit more in, then a bit more and it fired up. My god it sounded like a tractor!

It seems I have exhuast leaks on all 4 exhuasts. There must be a problem with my exhuast ports as Randys gaskets fit stock bikes normally. When I put them in mine they fell out for being a slight amount loose. Still got them in though. It also appears as if one of the spark plugs is not firing.

Took the bike to nearest dealer, could not book in, but mehanic said there were exhuast leaks and sounded like a dead plug (I probably didnt install the boot correctly). Either way the bike felt like it had no power and struggled to get it past 60km/h. I think th bike may have overheated as it died several times on the way back to the office until it would not restart. So I had a wonderful push back to the office. I will see if the bike starts tonight. If not its a long walk home. Yamaha said they could only book me in tomorrow.

FJTillDeath

Diagnoses:

Carbs synced. However mechanic says I need to get a bigger main jets. I believe him because whenever I open up the throttle the bike really struggles to pull. Fine while low on throttle

Otherwise exhuast was sealed, not sure how and plug cable fixed. Bike has a weird rattle and what sounds like detonation

otherwise bike sounds like a demon with the pods on

simi_ed

Jessie, I'm suspicious of needing larger main jets.  What size pilot jets are you running?  #40 jets are really mandatory. 
Stock 112.5 main jets are probably OK.  What about shims under the needles?  I seem to remember 0.5mm spacer under the needle e-clip would do the trick.  Are your needles adjustable, or do you have the fixed (single groove) needles?
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

FJTillDeath

The pilots are already 42.5s

Im not sure what needles I have, got the ones that came in Randys kit? Are you talking about the needle that skrews into the carb and protrudes through it where you can feel it in the intake (front or behind the butterflies? If you are talking about that needle I can screw it in lower and higher, or in and out.

My main concern now is the exhaust leak I have. Whatever temporary solution the mechanic made, it has now expired as my bike died again this morning. Unfortunately with 0 cents ti my name and owing somebody 50 bucks, I really have to wait til payday again to work on the FJ

FJTillDeath

Damit, cant edit previous post

Were you talking about these screws?(circled red - note this was before the carbs were rebuilt)

miked

Hi Jesse,

No mate, they are the idle mixture screws. The needles are the long spikes attached to your diaphragms. The originals are not adjustable, but you can get away with putting a small washer under them I believe. The after market ones have several grooves on the top, with a circlip in the appropriate grove, to raise and lower the needle position.

Cheers

Mike

FJTillDeath

Ah okay, looks like  need to find a few washers then.

The reason I thought it was these was becuase I had forgotten to insert an oring with the one assembly. I figured since one didnt come out to leace it as it was

fj11.5

unless you have an aussie spec 1100 the needles have 6 adjustment slots  :rofl2:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

FJTillDeath

:dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2:

Stuffsakes!

So I traced where my exhuast leak came from. It seems the mechanic replaced the 2 studs (the onlt 2 studs the bike had for the exhuast) with stainless steel ones.

That however is not the problem. When I started the FJ up at lunchtime to take it home quickly and get my other bike it died within 2 minutes of riding, i thought this was too soon to have overheated again and should have cooled off from this morning.

As it stands, the new mounting bolt has clean broken from its mounting part. It gets better. the stud broke in half, and theres still half of it left inside the mounting point. Gets better...looks as though its stripped the thread as it broke loose. Gets even better, mechanic basically told me "fuck you, sort out your own problem". Gets better, cant get a trailer or anything to help me get the FJ somewhere safe and away from thieves.

And one final cherry on top: While inspecting the broken stud I noticed I had a rather heavy leak coming from the right side brake caliper. Got no idea where its leaking from as it never leaked before, but the disk is covered and so is the wheel. The only thing I did to the caliper before was take it off the wheel, detach it from the brake line and empty it of fluid. Then put new fluid in and bled. Yes i tightened the cap correctly, it had already been leaking fluid before I put new fluid in.

I know to fix the exhuast stud I will have to turn to helicoils. I know those arent cheap and not particularly easy either. Got no idea what to do about the caliper as I have no clue where its leaking from

May I repeat. STUFFSAKES!