News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Opinions - what chain lube do you use and why

Started by terryk, April 01, 2012, 09:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj11.5

castrol ,sprays on foamy ,best use on a warm chain with the straw instead of exploding out of the can nozzle onto the tyre = lots of extra clean up , ,,last a month or so, or till the. links look dry, very little fling off if used properly , dousnt seem too attract dirt ,  :good2:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

simi_ed

-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

rktmanfj

Quote from: simi_ed on April 03, 2012, 03:02:28 AM
Randy, how do you apply the gear lube?

I just snipped a small opening off the tapered nozzle on the bottle and spin the rear wheel by hand for two runs of the chain.  One round I drizzle it on the outside of the chain at the rear sprocket, then another round on the inside on the bottom run.  If the chain is warm, it spreads right out.

eddohawk

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-V-System-Scottoiler-Chain-Lube-System-/190320204572?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c4ff7db1c

For those interested in buying a Scottolier hers where I sourced mine from. At a dealer in Melbourne they were asking $220 I got this one for AUD $135 incl postage. Havent worked out the likely pay back yet after taking into account oil refills, what I previously spent on chain lube and the likely longer life from chain and sprockets but just not having to lube my chain every week and clean the crud off is good enough for me.

DB Cooper

I made a semi-automatic chain oiler using clippard valve components. The resovoir is an old bicycle chain wax container, and I fill it with 80W90 hypoid gear oil. I have it set for one drip every 3 minutes, works a treat! Cost was about 60.00 Canadian. I flip the toogle to on before the ride, and hope I remember to flip it off after the ride. A 6 inch length of 20 guage wire inserted at the end of the hose just above the chain allows it to bend in just the right spot just above the chain and before the rear sprocket.

Kevin
I remember when sex was safe and skydiving was dangerous.

Arnie

Kevin,

Nice job.  I really like those Clippard parts.  Can you tell me where I could get the toggle valve?

I've got a similar system on my FJ. which uses a reservior just under the fuel pump and siphons (bar & chain) oil over to the left and along the swingarm before depositing on the chain.

Are you able to access the toggle valve with the seat and sidecover in place?

Arnie

DB Cooper

Hey Arnie.
Thanks!
Yes, it's easily accessable at any time, even while on the move if need be (especially nice for when I have a brain fart and forget to turn it on).  The website is clippard.com in the US, the toggle valve is clippard part # TV-2S, and the flow control valve is MNV-4K. A buddy of mine machined up the nipples, but you can get them from clippard as well. The hose came from clippard too (oil resistant stuff) but for the life of me, I can't remember the type or part number. I'll dig through my parts bin tomorrow, and get the part number for you if you need it.
Kevin

simi_ed

Nice oiler, Kevin.  Simple, not too much money.  I like it!
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

eddohawk

Pretty impressive set up you have there Kevin. I havent priced the ''scottolier refills'' as yet but I'm guessing they'll be expensive. I'll try gear oil when its time to top up.

baldy3853

Quote from: DB Cooper on April 03, 2012, 06:14:52 PM
I made a semi-automatic chain oiler using clippard valve components. The resovoir is an old bicycle chain wax container, and I fill it with 80W90 hypoid gear oil. I have it set for one drip every 3 minutes, works a treat! Cost was about 60.00 Canadian. I flip the toogle to on before the ride, and hope I remember to flip it off after the ride. A 6 inch length of 20 guage wire inserted at the end of the hose just above the chain allows it to bend in just the right spot just above the chain and before the rear sprocket.

Kevin
Very nice Kevin this was also going to be my responce as well but my switch was a common old garden tap diverter but they had to be replace every 6mths or so when they started to screw up, but a much better way the using chain lube
baldy

FJmonkey

Randy, get on with it, you have another project to add to your list. An RPM chain oiler....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Arnie

On the Clippard website they have solenoid operated valves that will turn the flow on/off automatically if you hook them to a switched lead.  Cost was about $50 plus shipping.  That's what I'll get soon instead of a manual valve I keep forgetting to turn off.

Part # ES-2S-12

http://www.clippard.com/store/byo_electronic/byo_es_valves.asp

Arnie

DB Cooper

Hey Arnie.
I did see the electric valve, but opted for the manual valve instead. I'm not really sure why. A buddy of mine ordered some stuff from Clippard at the same time as I did, and he got the electric valve instead.  It seems to work really well, and it's turn the key on / off and forget about it. He did install a simple back up switch on his so he could turn it off if for some reason the solenoid ever became stuck or whatever, but he's happy with the setup.
Thanks for all the kudos!
Kevin.

Dads_FJ

Quote from: Arnie on April 08, 2012, 09:20:58 PM
On the Clippard website they have solenoid operated valves that will turn the flow on/off automatically if you hook them to a switched lead.  Cost was about $50 plus shipping.  That's what I'll get soon instead of a manual valve I keep forgetting to turn off.

Part # ES-2S-12

http://www.clippard.com/store/byo_electronic/byo_es_valves.asp

Arnie

How do the lines hook up to that type of valve?
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

Arnie

Looking at the pic available on Clippard's site, you have a choice of 4/40 threaded connectors, or 1/16" barbs, or 1/8" barbs.

Arnie