News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello FJ Owners

Started by Mandrake67, March 15, 2012, 09:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandrake67

I just found the site, looks good to me.  have an 85 FJ1100 with a scant 16k original on it. As usual finding parts are a pain. Heres my question, it sat forever and although shes up and running strong after a dang near total rebuild the gas cap leaks, particularly when it gets warm. The seal is toast, since I cant get it factory anybody know of an after market fix. I've tried different materials to make a new gasket/seal but nothing holds up against 91 octane.

Much love, ride on, keep it upright.     :drinks:   :good:

FJmonkey

Yet one more thing for Randy at RPM to consider offering......

Other than getting a different cap from compatible years, I have not heard of replacement seals. I will bet that other year/models of Yamaha bikes also used the same seal.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mandrake67

Tried that, Yamaha dealer said it came as a single unit, cap and all, and they told  me zero compatability. But I will win, in high school I used to goto the yamaha dealership after school and rub up on the FJ1100 and VMax's. Took me 20 years but I got one!

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mandrake67 on March 15, 2012, 10:03:18 PM
Tried that, Yamaha dealer said it came as a single unit, cap and all, and they told  me zero compatability. But I will win, in high school I used to goto the yamaha dealership after school and rub up on the FJ1100 and VMax's. Took me 20 years but I got one!
This a FRU problem... Field Replaceable Unit. OEMs have been doing it for years, my company does it for the same reasons. They only offer assemblies as replacements to allow more freedom to make changes inside the assembly. As long as the assembly bolts on then any changes made are backward compatible.... The tough part is learning what other bikes they used the same seal on. The cap assemblies may have different part numbers but the seal is likely used on other bikes. Similar years are more likely to have the same parts.

racerman_27410

personally i would take a good long look at the 85 RZ350 gas cap.

I dont know if you can get the seal seperately for it or not but i have one and it looks real close to the FJ gas cap.

i would be happy to measure it for you next time im at the shop.

KOokaloo!

fj11.5

is an 85 cap the same flip up one as an 84 , and not flush with the top of the tank, if so I have a spare cap with a key that's hiding, can send the cap for postage price
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

FJmonkey

Quote from: fj11.5 on March 16, 2012, 06:21:47 AM
is an 85 cap the same flip up one as an 84 , and not flush with the top of the tank, if so I have a spare cap with a key that's hiding, can send the cap for postage price
I love it, another Pay it Forward kind of guy......

Mandrake67

Yeah it flips back toward the rider, has a slide over keyhole cover, will post a shot when I can get to the mechanic. Thanks, but don't worry about sending one unless you have several, you may need it down the road. If you do have an abundance, let me know, that would be great.

fj11.5

Quote from: Mandrake67 on March 16, 2012, 09:19:43 PM
Yeah it flips back toward the rider, has a slide over keyhole cover, will post a shot when I can get to the mechanic. Thanks, but don't worry about sending one unless you have several, you may need it down the road. If you do have an abundance, let me know, that would be great.
hi, did you send me a message about the fuel cap, , i still have it but after checking it out the gasket isnt too healthy and i havnt looked for the missing key yet, ,i changed my tank too an 89 model so have a good 84 tank collecting dust
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne