News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Starter problem, oil and fuel warn lights on

Started by xt550, July 13, 2009, 08:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xt550

Hello
Last time i was out riding the oil and fuel warning lights went on, so i stopped only to hear that the starter motor was running.
It only stopped running after i turned of the key, after disconnecting the blue/wight cable to the starter relay i could turn the key on again.
So i push-started the bike and rode home.
At home i started testing things and found out that the starter motor and it's relay was fine, all other things seams OK but not a relay placed under the chocke/reserv switch panel in the fairing.
The relay has contacts grouped 4+1+4 and are little smaller than a pack of cigarettes.
Im not sure what this relay is, there's another relay for the sidestand and off/run switch (a blue normal sized relay).
Does anyone know more about this relay what it does, can this be the faulty "thing"???

FJ1200 -86

Arnie

Sounds more like the starter switch button has stuck ON.  Try pulling the button out and/or spraying contact cleaner into it.  You can also disassemble it to clean it properly.

Arnie

xt550

Thank you for the quick answer.
I have cleaned the starter button, so im fairly sure that that's not the problem.
It was just after a rain i was riding, and the starter just jumped in wile riding.
If i bridge the 2 blue/white cables going in to the relay the starter button works just fine, even with no key inserted.

xt550

Ok, so i found out more about this relay it's Nippon Denso 41R-71 FX257N it's a "do it all relay" used for "Flasher Relay" and "starting circuit cut-of relay".
Does anyone know what differs from 47G-41 FX257N2?
Or best of all if someone has a diagram over the relays or know where to get one?