News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Which is the best...?

Started by racerrad8, January 17, 2012, 07:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the best, most complete & useful "aftermarket" service manual?

Clymer
3 (11.5%)
Haynes
23 (88.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: February 16, 2012, 07:54:44 PM

racerrad8

I am trying to determine which "aftermarket" brand of service manual to add to my inventory.

The newest vendor I just added at the end of 2011 has both Haynes & Clymer.

I really do not want to stock both as there is no need, but I do want to have the one that people use & find the most useful.

Please take a moment to vote for your recommendation.

Thank you, Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Arnie

Randy,

I have the Clymer and the Genuine Yamaha manual.
The Clymer is good, though it does have some 'difficulties'.
I don't have the Haynes.
So, I'll vote for Clymer, but have no knowledge of the Haynes for the FJ.

Please discount my vote appropriately. 
I'd guess most on this list also have one or the other, but not both.

Cheers,
Arnie

racerman_27410

i have had a haynes manual for just about every vehicle i've ever owned....  good step by steps with lots of pictures  :good2:

i also think the clymer is good but not as many pictures and someone without a lot of mechanical experience may have a tough time with the way clymer "words" things

KOokaloo!

SlowOldGuy

I have all three; GYSM, Haynes & Clymer.  I reach for the Haynes first.  The Clymer has good electrical diagrams, but so do the others.

DavidR.

bugboy

I have Haynes and Clymer, but use the Haynes most.  I'll refer to the Clymer if I'm fuzzy on something, hoping that the second source will help.  I vote Haynes.

Kurt

markmartin

I've got the Haynes and the Clymer.  They are both good but I'd vote for the Haynes because the pictures are of better quality.

Mark

fj11.5

haynes gets my vote, although i have the clymer and two different 84 1100 manuals  (popcorn)
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Derek Young

I have the clymer  manual for my FJ.  I've had a Haynes manual for every other vehicle I've owned.  The clymer is good, but I find the Haynes is more user friendly and easier to understand.  The pictures and diagrams are better and the instructions are easier to follow. If I didn't have one already, I'd definitely look for a Haynes first.

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

spsmith_fj1200

I have both and use the Clymer more.  I use the two to double check what I am doing when I get confused.

fj1289

Randy, I'll vote Haynes too on this one. 

What would be really cool would be for people to let you know what errors they've found (I think there are a couple critical ones in both the Haynes and Clymer) and include a one-page correction of notice with the manual. 

Chris

motohorseman

Oh man, sorry I can not help, I always use the factory manuals for everything.

The fricking Porsche 944 I bought a decade plus ago required a lot of them -

Complete sets of the 924 and 944 manuals are required for that car.....

I've got the FJ series manuals digital and I print the pages I need at the time, so far so good.
Steve

eddohawk

I have a Clymers and havent checked out the Haynes though. From a novices perspective I have found the Clymers to be ''ok'' and the odd error frustrating but on the other hand has made my learning experience that much more rewarding as its made me research deeper. I reckon I've learnt more from my mistakes!

andyb

The Haynes is nicer to use than the Clymer... but if I've got a question, the GYSM is the only way to go, and a lot easier to use than either. 

JCainFJ

I have all 3, and the GYSM is the best for an advanced tech. Haynes is the best aftermarket, it has fewer mestakes and is easier to understand. The Clymer has lots of problems. Torque specs and oil circut diagrams are problems with all of the manuals.

hein

I've got all three manuals and in order of preference I'd vote
1 GYSM
2 Haynes
3 Clymer
Hein.
What do you mean, you don't have a lathe?