News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Dual compound tires are not for everyone.

Started by craigo, January 13, 2012, 10:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynt

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 13, 2012, 11:23:14 PM
We have had problems in the past with 180/55 Dunlop D208's not clearing the chain

Thanks for the caution...  I have 180/55 Dunlop Roadsmarts on now (new at last WCR) and they clear fine.  I was thinking they would be about same width, but will check it out.  The Roadsmarts have begun to develop the "triangular" wear in the front, so I'm hoping the Q2s don't do the same.  Otherwise I think the Roadsmart is a great option as well.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

1tinindian

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 13, 2012, 11:23:14 PM
Ok thanks Frank, let me know if they fit.

Beware: We have had problems in the past with 180/55 Dunlop D208's not clearing the chain (scroll down to #8 in assembly): http://www.fjmods.btinternet.co.uk/MarcRittner.htm

However, if the Q2's fit your FJ (with the T-Ace swing arm conversion) they will fit mine....

Cheers!

FYI Pat, I have a 180/55/17 Dunlop Sportmax D208 on my stock 1991 swing arm and it clears the chain easily. The tire is on a  5.5 inch FZR1000 wheel.

Unless you were referring to the T-Ace swing arm ONLY.

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

terryk

I do not know if the Michelin PR2 are made in the correct sizes. However, they beat the heck out of the Dunlop Roadsmart 2 in handling and turn in pressure, far better tire. I have run 2 Dunlop rears and one Dunlop front on my Warrior and thought they were great until I put the PR2's on. World of difference.

Alf

I didn´t like at all the PR2. Even more, now I have fitted the previous PRoads and are much better, but both of them are very bad near the BT45s that fit my CBX or the BT020 fitted before my actual PRoads
BT021s were worst than BT020 for me because the sides of the front tyre were near disintegrated after only 4.000 km due to the dual compound, I think, combined with the hot weather and abrasive Tenerife tarmac

pdxfj

I'm in the same boat as Pat.  Sticky tire up front (Pilot Power), and dual compound on the back.

For my ride to S. Arizona and back I put a new PR3 on the rear.  Still had enough life left in the Power for the trip.

I can say the PR3 is a fantastic tire.  Even in the heaviest of rain I had ever ridden in (from S. Idaho all the way to Mexican Hat, UT) it always stuck to the road and never did anything to surprise me.  On dry roads it stuck just as well.

After the trip it's starting to show signs of squaring off a bit.  I know there's a ton of life left in it, but I may have a new one installed for the WC/CO rally combo this year.

When I was reading about the PR3, some articles said they are considering banning it from racing since it sticks so well in the wet.  I can see why.  Some of the rain I hit in S. Idaho was so bad I could hardly see the fog line in the dark.

I have been happy with the Michelin tires I've been running since I did the wheel upgrades to my '87.  First set was Pilot Powers front and rear, then the PR2 in the rear and swap out the front for another Power when necessary.

Alf

Well, I have no too much problems with the rain (last year it only rained 3 days by here), but the BT45 and BT020 are superb in the wet

Mark Olson

Quote from: pdxfj on January 16, 2012, 05:42:57 PM
I'm in the same boat as Pat.  Sticky tire up front (Pilot Power), and dual compound on the back.

For my ride to S. Arizona and back I put a new PR3 on the rear.  Still had enough life left in the Power for the trip.

I can say the PR3 is a fantastic tire.  Even in the heaviest of rain I had ever ridden in (from S. Idaho all the way to Mexican Hat, UT) it always stuck to the road and never did anything to surprise me.  On dry roads it stuck just as well.

After the trip it's starting to show signs of squaring off a bit.  I know there's a ton of life left in it, but I may have a new one installed for the WC/CO rally combo this year.

When I was reading about the PR3, some articles said they are considering banning it from racing since it sticks so well in the wet.  I can see why.  Some of the rain I hit in S. Idaho was so bad I could hardly see the fog line in the dark.

I have been happy with the Michelin tires I've been running since I did the wheel upgrades to my '87.  First set was Pilot Powers front and rear, then the PR2 in the rear and swap out the front for another Power when necessary.

Great tires .+1
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

motohorseman

Quote from: craigo on January 14, 2012, 06:16:43 AM

Odd about this though. My old GS1100 ate 2 rears for every front. But then, I used to commute on it.

That applies to almost every motorcycle I've ever owned.

I think I should consider laying off the throttle a bit more.....

Naw!  :yahoo:
Steve

The General

Quote from: craigo on January 13, 2012, 10:54:41 AM
I have a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts on my bike and they are dual compound tires. ...........
Which leaves me to wonder what tire is next. I will not buy the dual compound again.

Any suggestions?

CraigO
Hey craigo, were they Roadsmart II or the model before. Trying to make up my mind between Dunlop, Pirelli (Angel ST) and Conti. (my priorities are grip, grip and more grip - 50/50 wet & dry - even though I`m on the "Sunshine Coast"
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

Alf

Quote from: motohorseman on January 18, 2012, 12:08:02 PM
Quote from: craigo on January 14, 2012, 06:16:43 AM

Odd about this though. My old GS1100 ate 2 rears for every front. But then, I used to commute on it.

That applies to almost every motorcycle I've ever owned.

I think I should consider laying off the throttle a bit more.....

Naw!  :yahoo:

My situation is the opposite: I ate 2 fronts for every rear in both of my bikes. The roads and the tarmac eat my front tyres by their sides. In fact the center is always near new

FJ Flyer

I've had only dual compounds on the FJR.  Got the bike with Avon Storms.  Rear lasted about 10K miles.  First front was done at 5K.  Second front had some good life left at 5K, but I pulled it to replace the set.  Next were PR2s.  Wore like iron.  Got about 16K miles with them, but I hated the way they felt and rode from day 1.  Next came Angel STs.  Liked these tires a lot.  Rode them at Boone.  But the rear was showing cord at 8K miles.  I'm currently running Avon Storm II Ultras.  Really like these tires, so far.  Got a bit over 8K miles.  Rear looks great, front is starting to square off, but has a lot of life left and still feels pretty good.  Just got a set of PR3s delivered and they are on deck.  Figured if I don't like the PR3s, I'll go back to the Storm IIs.

FWIW, the FJR crowd didn't have a lot of luck with the original Roadsmarts.  Reports were the fronts felt awesome for about 3K miles, then went away fast and were horrible.  Rears seem to do better.  Lot of guys run the RS rears with some other front.

I loved the Dunlop 205s on the FJ.  
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

The General

Per  Superbike mag ------
"The Dunlop RoadSmart II is new for 2011 and aims to be the do-it-all tyre for sporty road riders. Sound familiar?

An astonishing ride around Corsica. Started flat then into the mountains.The Dunlop Roadsmart II is, you've guessed, a replacement and development of the firm's orginal Roadsmart sports-touring tyre, launched back in 2008. Well, three years is a long time in tyre development and the chemical engineers have been busy with their test tubes, potions and beakers mixing up new polymers to improve the Roadsmart's wet weather performance without compromising its durability or 'sportier' abilities.

As was the case before, Dunlop let a group of Euro journos ride the tyre on the road on a variety of bikes – and if you ever get the chance to ride in Corsica, seize it – before spending time at the Mireval test facility to test the Roadsmart II in blind tests against the Michelin Pilot Road III and the Bridgestone BT-023. The tyres, mounted on Suzuki GSX-R750 and Honda CB1000R bikes, were ridden on the handling track, on the wet circuit and on the 'race' track.

Basically, the Dunlop came out on top, overall, though the Michelin was still (for me) a better tyre in the wet. In the handling and on track, the Roadsmart II had the Mich whipped. And the Bridgestone? Burn it. Start a tyre mountain, it's rubbish in the rain in comparison to the other two. IMHO of course.

There will be more detail of the test in the December 2011 issue of SuperBike, but in the meantime, you can roll on down to your dealer from October 1 and start haggling."
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

FJ Flyer

Never understand why they test dual compound sport touring tires on a sportbike.  I think a more accurate evaluation would be on a heavier ST machine that is harder on the tire.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

craigo

Quote from: The General on March 11, 2012, 03:34:30 PM
Hey craigo, were they Roadsmart II or the model before. Trying to make up my mind between Dunlop, Pirelli (Angel ST) and Conti. (my priorities are grip, grip and more grip - 50/50 wet & dry - even though I`m on the "Sunshine Coast"

As far as I know, it was the 1st gen Roadsmarts. I replaced it with the Conti Motion and as of 500 miles, I love this tire. I still have the Roadsmart on the rear. Even thought the tread patterns are opposite, they seem to work well together.

Thing about the Conti though. The tread pattern looks like it would channel water to the center of the tire. I do not ever ride in the wet so this does not concern me. But to all you all weather pilots out there, better get an opinion from some real world usage.

Ride safe all,

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

craigo

Quote from: FJ Flyer on March 11, 2012, 03:48:14 PM
FWIW, the FJR crowd didn't have a lot of luck with the original Roadsmarts.  Reports were the fronts felt awesome for about 3K miles, then went away fast and were horrible.  Rears seem to do better.  Lot of guys run the RS rears with some other front.

I loved the Dunlop 205s on the FJ.  

I had the same issues with the front Roadsmart. Was a good tire for about 3k, then it went to hell in a handbasket real fast. To the point it almost put me on my head. (See earlier post)

And I too loved the D205s. But I feel I like this Conti Motion better. Real supple feel and handles great. But I have not done any real hard cornering or high speed runs on it. Anything up to 90mph was fine. (Disclaimer: Your results may vary)

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200