News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Dual compound tires are not for everyone.

Started by craigo, January 13, 2012, 10:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowOldGuy

I'll chime in for a third opinion.  I've tried 2 Roadsmarts on the front of my '93 and the sides are shot at about 3500 miles.  Love the handling, but for that kind of mileage, I can run a sport tire.  I will not buy another Roadsmart. 

I also loved the D205s, front and rear.  I still have one rear left

DavidR.

Harvy

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on March 11, 2012, 09:47:55 PM

I also loved the D205s, front and rear. 

DavidR.

100% agree.....shame they don't make them any more....
Just fitted a pair of Conti Road Attack2's....... I like em.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Alf

I loved the 205s too. My friend Mingo still has a couple fitted in OE sizes in his 1TX and the bike goes fantastic

rktmanfj

I really liked the 205s, but then I tried the Avon Storms and Shinko Ravens and liked them even more.

Alf

Quote from: FJ Flyer on March 11, 2012, 03:48:14 PM

FWIW, the FJR crowd didn't have a lot of luck with the original Roadsmarts.  Reports were the fronts felt awesome for about 3K miles, then went away fast and were horrible.  Rears seem to do better.  Lot of guys run the RS rears with some other front.

Mmmmmmmmm... the same happened to me with the D220: around 3-4000 kms fine and then horrible, sliding to side to side at the minimun effort.
I wanted to fit the Roadsmart, but now I´m thinking better another option

ribbert

I have been through a dozen or so tyres over the last three years and the only standout ones are the current Conti Attack 2's.  They have many attributes but mostly the bike has never steered like this. I would not have believed that a tyre alone could make so much difference.  I have previously tried all the major brands, dual compound and flavour of the month tyres with mixed results in grip, wear pattern, life, ride, steering etc. The Conti's are the bees knees. A bit of a cynic about manufacturers claims, I must say, with a few 1000 k's on them they do everything they claim and they are fantastic in the wet. However, with this level of performance I wouldn't expect high mileage, but if it sticks to the road and steers like a dream who cares.
Noel

The above post is about 6 mths old and I'm still loving the Conti's. I have had most of the tyres mentioned here recently and these are the first ones I would happily buy again.  Strangely enough I've found them to do everything the marketing blurb claims.  They are also wearing much better than I had expected.
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Just found another old post on Conti 2's....

No, but I did pay full price  because I needed them quickly.  I even removed/replaced the wheels so it was just fitting and balancing. However I'd pay it again in a heartbeat tomorrow for the difference it makes to the bike. I've been through a dozen or so tyres over the last 3 years, all the dual compound (hate the way the fronts triangulate as they wear), the sporty end of the touring selection from most of the major manufacturers and I don't think I've bought the same tyre twice, not by choice anyway.  While any new tyres always return a nice feel to the bike for a while, these tyres literally transform it into another bike.  They are Conti Attack 2's. They seem to have many advantages over the competition but what appealed to me initially was the "dual compound" effect is achieved by applying different amounts of heat during the manufacturing process resulting in a progressive transition from hard to soft rather than two distinct compounds (and a join). No previous tyre combo has even remotely produced the steering and cornering I'm experiencing now. I think this particular trait has more to do with the unusual front profile, almost slick like, than any other technical feature. They also need no scrub in and warm quickly.  If interested, find some reviews. Given the demands on our bike tyres and the consequences of them not being up to the job I've always considered good tyres cheap insurance.  The $100 you might have saved going cheap is not much consolation when you bunged up in a ditch or hanging from bull bar when circumstances (even unintentional for those "but I don't ride fast types") demands a little more of your average tyres and there's nothing left. For those of who read this to the end, yes, this a bit of a pet subject. Tyres to me are like helmets, "the money you spend on a helmet is the price you put on your head"
Noel

And they do get ridden hard.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

markmartin

Thanks for the post Noel, I just had the Conti -Road Attack 2's mounted on my new wheels.  Their advertisement sounded good on paper.  I'm glad to hear you're liking them.

Mark

The General

Thought I`d pose the Roadsmart questions direct to the top. I pointed out the negatives and perceptions per this and other forums on the original Roadsmarts and asked what are the improvements on the Roadsmart II.  Apart from his Rim size query, I plan to inquire more about tyre construction technique in the next week.  His  answer is as follows-------

Hi Doug

The improvements of RS ll over the original RS will be considerable.  We expect much improved mileage plus a more linear wear pattern as the tyre wears so it will retain smooth handling till tread end

I am however surprised the RS was ever fitted to FJ 1200s      We have never released this tyre in a suitable rear size for FJ1200 or FJ1100 ......  ( 150/80 - 16" ?)

best regards

Ken Wieden
National Motorcycle & Motorsport Manager
Dunlop Tyres
Tel 03 84167225
Mob 0419 253976
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: The General on March 12, 2012, 10:05:15 PM
I am however surprised the RS was ever fitted to FJ 1200s      We have never released this tyre in a suitable rear size for FJ1200 or FJ1100 ......  ( 150/80 - 16" ?)
best regards

Ken Wieden
National Motorcycle & Motorsport Manager
Dunlop Tyres
Tel 03 84167225
Mob 0419 253976

Yeah, ya pricks!  Just abandon us and the Concours group entirely. 
I spoke to a Dunlop Rep at the Motorcycle Show a few years ago and he assured me that they would produce the Roadsmart in all the sizes that the D205 was available in.  Guess what? No 150/80-16 ya numb nuts rep.  I hate it when people don't even know their own product!

DavidR.

moonrunnah

i have perillie deman sport and they handle pretty good
im not sure about the wear as they were on the bike when i got it  :unknown:
When in doubt throttle out

axiom-r

I will be mounting a set of Bridgestone BT-023's in the next few weeks to get ready for the WCR.  I love the BT45's on my vintage bikes and the 023's are a dual compound tire that has been receiving good reviews.  Anyone try these on their FJ or any other bike?  Hoping not to experience short life span like CraigO did with his dual compound tires but I am already acclimated to a 3500 mile rear and about a 4500 mile front wear out range.  I hated the AVON Venom and Sport Demon and this was a big part of the motivation to do the R1 conversion stuff.  This will be my first new tires on the FJ with the R1 wheels and I anticipate a noticeable improvement to the Kookaloo factor.

cheers-

tim
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

FJmonkey

I am currently at 2,932 miles on my new Dunlop Q2 rear, the 180 with one side machined off by the chain. I am just getting to the wear bars on the sides where I spend more time. However, I have spent at least a third of the tire's miles on the slab. So wear is not the best. I am real happy with grip. I had a pucker moment down south in a Left-hander leaned over as far as I am comfortable with, when I got hit by a gust of wind from the Left. For a brief moment I was way past my comfort zone and leaned in deeper than I ever do. Then it was gone and I returned to the line I was holding. After we stopped I checked my chicken strips. The Left was half the width than the right. The Q2s have a profile more rounded than competitive brands, intended for deeper corning at the track. So unless you are real corner junkie, plan to have a set of strips on your Q2 rear.

I just put a Q2 on my FZR front to match the rear for my very soon to be upgrade, I think I will put a 170 on back since the 180 is quite wide.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side