News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FJ Christmas present

Started by ribbert, January 02, 2012, 10:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

I bought it a sibling.
It's interesting how the mods sneak up on you.  Handling wise, I have improved the forks, brakes, lowered the front, raised the back, replaced the shocker, 17"rear and fitted the best steering tyres it's ever had on it. These things were done one at a time over a couple of years. The new bike is completely stock with good tyres and I was shocked at the difference riding it! There's nothing wrong with, just stock.
I bought it for a ready supply of spares, in boxes from two different locations and the motor sight unseen for $500. It had been extensively  (and unnecessarily) dismantled to remove the engine which was then taken to a mechanic a 100 km's away to split the cases to replace the countershaft seal - yes I know! ( for the benefit of some of the newcomers here, this job can be done with the motor in place)
Anyway, not being able to help myself, I reassembled it to find it only missing a fuel pump, and aside from the absence of aforementioned mods, It rides like new, although the plastics are a bit rough. So much for the parts bike. Not being familiar with the engine mount fix and not having the slightest interest in its appearance he had emptied a couple of cartridges of silicone all over the front end in a bid to rid it of rattles and vibes. I did the mounts before installation and took advantage of it being out to add some grease nipples.
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

rktmanfj

1tinindian

"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

racerman_27410

its always nice to bring one back from the dead .

Good onya mate!

KOokaloo!

ribbert

Quote from: racerman_27410 on January 02, 2012, 10:48:26 PM
its always nice to bring one back from the dead .

Good onya mate!

KOokaloo!

I did better than bring it back from the dead, he was thinking of turning into a Rat Bike.  Aaaaaahh.  Even just keeping another one on the road would be a better end than that.
And while I'm here, anyone who has a '91+ (rubber mounts) and hasn't done the engine mount fix. DO IT NOW!  Turbine smoothness above 3500 rpm (and all the way to redline) is your reward and very acceptable levels below. I wouldn't even call under 3500rpm vibrations, you can just feel the motor working.
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Arnie