News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Removed her heart...

Started by Flynt, December 31, 2011, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerman_27410

Here ya go Frank.... i had to pull the carbs to get this for you.

Main Jets = 148
Slow jets = 55
Slow air mixture screws = 1 & 1/8 out from seated (engine side bottom of carbs in front of float bowls)
Air bleed screws =  4 turns out from seated (air filter side- left hand hole )

KOokaloo!

Frank

Flynt

Quote from: racerman_27410 on August 05, 2012, 02:50:51 PM
i had to pull the carbs to get this for you.

Thanks so much Frank....  I'll let you know how it works for me. 

Marsh gets another donation thanks to the great membership we've got here.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Flynt

Main Jets = 148
Slow jets = 55

USPS says I'll have these Friday, so my Saturday is defined now...   :good:

Thanks again Frank!

Frank

racerman_27410

Quote from: Flynt on August 07, 2012, 06:22:57 PM

Main Jets = 148
Slow jets = 55

USPS says I'll have these Friday, so my Saturday is defined now...   :good:

Thanks again Frank!

Frank

Have fun and Hang on!   :good2:

KOokaloo!

Frank

Marsh White

Quote from: Flynt on August 05, 2012, 03:29:49 PM
Thanks so much Frank....  I'll let you know how it works for me. 

Marsh gets another donation thanks to the great membership we've got here.

Frank

Thank you Frank & Frank!!   :good2:  It is MUCH appreciated!!

racerman_27410

Quote from: Marsh White on August 09, 2012, 11:31:39 AM

Thank you Frank & Frank!!   :good2:  It is MUCH appreciated!!

Thank YOU Marsh!....  this is a great website full of good people   (just as you intended) :good2:

Kookaloo!

Frank

Flynt

Main Jets = 148--- check (was 150)
Slow jets = 55--- check (already had them it turns out)
Slow air mixture screws = 1 & 1/8 out from seated (engine side bottom of carbs in front of float bowls)--- check (was about right)
Air bleed screws =  4 turns out from seated (air filter side- left hand hole )--- check (this was WAY off, only ~1 turn open)

KOokaloo!--- check!!!

WOW  :good2:

She's much happier overall, even sounding better and with more stable idle.  Still feels slightly fat between 3,500 and 6,500 (probably good for break in).  The off idle and low speed roll-on are sorted...  you can practically drop the clutch at a stop sign and she just rolls on out.  Above 7K is unreal!!

What kind of timing are you running?  I'm at stock, but my plate has the 5 degree mod done and I'm tempted to throw in the advance and see what it does. 

Yep...  jets came yesterday and I needed to take 1/2 day off today to self gratify. 

THANKS FRANK!!!   :drinks:

racerman_27410

Frank,

i am running the dyna ignition on map 3... i would go ahead and put the advance in and see how she does.... it may take care of the rich midrange feeling you are getting.

just  thought....what kind of filters are you running? do you also have the bolt on optional air filter adapters?

I am using uni oiled foam pods with the adapters.

you have to be careful not to over oil them as that will change the tuning. I normally just lightly massage the oil into the foam with my fingers instead of dunking the filters and squeezing out the excess.

I can launch really hard from a standstill in second gear.... i find it makes things much more controllable..... WFO in first gear is definitely an eye opening experience!.... can you say wheelie while the back tire is spinning  :shok:
 I played with my ride height quite a bit to get the bike to behave right....with the ride height low the bike would hook up and want to loop a wheelie... i kept raising the rear end until the tire would light up out of the hole.... then i dropped it back down a bit so now it will lift the front tire about 6 inches before the tire starts spinning.... from a dead stop all of the guys i ride with on their sportbikes get a good look at my tail light all the way to the ton.... then i let them by since i dont think i have to prove anything else to them (or lose my license)  needless to say none of them talk shit about the "old" FJ anymore  :biggrin:

hang on and enjoy the ride my friend!   :good:

Kookaloo!

Frank

Flynt

Quote from: racerman_27410 on August 10, 2012, 01:25:13 PM

just  thought....what kind of filters are you running? do you also have the bolt on optional air filter adapters?

I have the filter adapters and individual Uni filters as well...  lightly oiled, outside only.  I have had foam filters on various things and like the light oil/clean regularly approach.

Anyway, rode for 150mi today in 100 degree weather and the mid range was much more crisp...  the last ride was about 65 degrees out and the midrange was fat, so the slightly fat hypothesis is supported.  I actually think that's fine and today I got about 32mpg on HWY 130 (twisty and slow), so I think we're fueling OK for break in purposes now.  :good2:

The biggest change is low end which is smooth as silk now and easy to depend on.  Top end is also quite a delight, although I am using in moderation out of respect for the new internals.   

Thanks again Frank...  we're not fully tapping the potential yet and I'm sure the dyno tuning will unleash a whole new beast, but she's happy and running well enough to keep me grinning full time right now thanks to some pretty minor adjustments based on very specific recommendations...  I love this site! :bye2:

Frank

racerman_27410

I think you will find these carbs are very sensitive to temp,humidity and altitude.....   Over the last few years i have found that tweaking the air and mixture screws is necessary when the weather turns from hot to cold or when i ride in the mtns above 3000ft (they make a really nice right angle screwdriver just for adjusting the mixture screws on these carbs)

if you are taking it easy you should be getting around 38-42 mpg.   Too rich is not good for the FJ engine... it has a very inefficient combustion chamber and too much fuel will just lead to unnecessary carbon build up and possible cylinder wall washing.

i'm not sure exactly how far the air screws will back out before they actually fall out but you might try backing them out another half to full turn or so to lean out that midrange
if the air screws start feeling loose ( i guess you could actually take them out and count the turns) you may need to drop another size on the pilot jets and turn the air screws back in a turn or so (2.5 to 3 turns out)  

I guess you have figured out by now that the air screws are used to fine tune the pilot circuit....  turning them out adds air to make it leaner, in reduces air to make it richer.... lots of adjustments on these carbs and lots of circuit overlap between the idle circuit, pilot circuit, needles and mains...... its amazing at how far you actually have to twist the throttle to even get on the mains! ( i know you know now cause you can feel it when it does  :biggrin: )   How is your accelerator pump working.... does it jump nice when you whack open the throttle from about 6000 RPM?

I think we can get you dialed in pretty good using the mileage figures..... dont be afraid to hammer on it..... the rings will break in and seal better if you get that pressure on them.... personally i like to break my engines in like i am going to be running them.... a lesson from my father..."if it was built right it wont break unless you're trying to break it"  :good:

Figuring out the Kehins has been quite a learning curve for me over the last few years and i like that what i've learned has helped you out a bit. (God knows no one around here where i live knew a damn thing about tuning them.)  Once you can get on a dyno with a EGA you can get perfect fueling (12.5 to 13.0 - 1 ) and see what it actually feels like when you're riding... then whenever you are out and about you will be able to feel exactly when you need to stop and make a quick adjustment for the conditions. (are we having fun yet?)

Just remember these carbs are not set and forget.... they are racing carbs that pretty much demand a hands on approach in order to maximize their true potential.... I know you are a hands on fella so this tuning/tweaking thing is right up your alley.  Enjoy the ride my friend!

KOokaloo   :good2: 

Flynt

Quote from: racerman_27410 on August 12, 2012, 02:14:46 AM

I know you are a hands on fella so this tuning/tweaking thing is right up your alley.

I had a 240z with triple Webers that had 3 set of jets...  summer, winter, and spring/fall.  It didn't like any altitude above about 4000 ft (I live at about 125ft).  My current 240z has TWM side draft injection with Electromotive stand alone fueling...  it takes care of all those variables and still gives the responsive Weber feel and awesome intake roar.  Maybe the FJ will need EFI at some point.

I can see a pattern developing here  :wacko1:

Frank

racerman_27410

Quote from: Flynt on August 12, 2012, 05:35:34 PM
Quote from: racerman_27410 on August 12, 2012, 02:14:46 AM

I know you are a hands on fella so this tuning/tweaking thing is right up your alley.

I had a 240z with triple Webers that had 3 set of jets...  summer, winter, and spring/fall.  It didn't like any altitude above about 4000 ft (I live at about 125ft).  My current 240z has TWM side draft injection with Electromotive stand alone fueling...  it takes care of all those variables and still gives the responsive Weber feel and awesome intake roar.  Maybe the FJ will need EFI at some point.

I can see a pattern developing here  :wacko1:

Frank

How weird is that...Besides also being named Frank I also have a 240 Z ,a 72 i bought with a blown engine in 79 (still have it) built a stomping stroker engine with my father and put triple mikunis on it..i was never satisfied with the triple weber setup..... also my experience that before every friday night cruise the carbs got a good tweaking.... didnt want any issues when the lights turned green ya know  :good2:

Steve Conklin was working on putting fuel injection on his big bore FJ... he was using a micro squirt setup with some first gen busa throttle bodies?  but i dont think he got too far along with the programming side of it.

KOokaloo!

Flynt

Quote from: racerman_27410 on August 12, 2012, 08:33:41 PM

but i dont think he got too far along with the programming side of it.

That's dyno work and a tuning guru...  otherwise you can really chase your tail.  Although they have auto tune systems now that use TPS, knock sensors, even MAF based although MAP is still the most common.  My z runs like a hose and I just balance the throttle bodies every few years to keep it that way.  It is a 3 liter with 260Hp roughly, or 225 at the wheels.  Full on track prep with custom Stoptech 4 wheel brakes.  Unreal body work and paint with full custom interior and lots of one-of-a-kind mechanical stuff...  Sadly, I think I'm going to sell it soon  :cray:

Frank

Flynt

On the coincidence part...  WOW!  I'm adopted, maybe we're twins as well? :rofl2:

Pics of your z?

Frank

BSI

OH...OH...OH 240Z???  :good2:....wow I've been envious of your bikes...but now Frank...and Frank...you've got me wanting to see your 240's, they sound awesome...I've got a 73' I bought in 79' and it unfortunately had to live thru the years I was trying to be Mario Andretti, it survived but needs lots of TLC...I also had a 72' that didn't survive a head on

I LOVE those cars and would love see what you'll have down...and of course I would understand if you didn't want to post pics of your precious gems...thanks guys

92' FJ1200
86' FJ1200
86' FJ1200 - just bought-not started in 2 yrs
04' Suzuki DRZ 400S - cornering on knobbies
76' Husky WR250 - bought in 81', needs lots of TLC