News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Removed her heart...

Started by Flynt, December 31, 2011, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynt

Quote from: Klavdy on January 23, 2012, 06:02:54 PM
Bummer,now I feel bad about selling it to you.

I had it completely apart once already as you remember and it didn't look far enough off to detect by eye...  No cracks, no broken or pinched bolts, no obvious alignment troubles...  It actually rode very well and I had a suspension shop check how it rolled.  They said it was a little tweaked, but got it pretty square.  Frameman is taking it to factory spec, so who knows how frequently an old FJ frame actually measures in spec? 

I also said last yr that I'd be doing a big motor this year...  Bottom line, I'm a certified mod junkie and this is a great project.   :wacko3:

It was destiny that brought your bike to me when my beautiful old '90** really just needed Marc's parts, but you beat me to them...  But I would not have the wonderful rear subframe and Akra from Marc's bike.  The right answer would have been from Marc to just sell me his FJ, but then I'd have no project. 

:dash1: Destiny.

It will be truly a part of my life after this, so I'm OK.  For guilt relief I'd recommend you pay for the frame straightening!   :drinks:

Or a beer at the WCR...

Frank

** sold to a buddy that's dropped her twice in the garage and never cleans nor rides her...  really sad.
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

rktmanfj

Quote from: Flynt on January 23, 2012, 09:19:19 PM
** sold to a buddy that's dropped her twice in the garage and never cleans nor rides her...  really sad.

Now I feel guilty, lol.

The cash came along, just not at the right time.    :dash2:

Flynt

Quote from: rktmanfj on January 23, 2012, 09:41:34 PM

Now I feel guilty, lol.

He wants to sell...

rktmanfj

Quote from: Flynt on January 23, 2012, 10:01:15 PM
Quote from: rktmanfj on January 23, 2012, 09:41:34 PM

Now I feel guilty, lol.

He wants to sell...

Already started another project... convertibles are (apparently) about as bad as boats.     :sorry:

Flynt

Frame and everything else straight, except upper triple did not survive straightening...  I get it back tomorrow and will go to powder coating on Fri.  

Randy says motor is coming along.  Megacycle is gating, but worth the wait I hope.  The FCR39s look f-ing cool and they are obviously top notch kit.  Randy says the rattle like a bitch at idle, so I guess I can't hang out in that range much   :biggrin:

I've gotten most all of the parts I need, but this one looks tough...  any of you got the left hand motor mount for a '92 (PN 3XW-2140X-00-00)?  I have a NOS right side, but the left is unavailable now.  If not, anyone know of a place that will rebuild them with new rubber?

Other than that I think I need one rear brake line and I'm ready to re-assy, PC and motor build not withstanding.  

Pics will come when appropriate.

Frank

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Flynt

This update is a bit lame, but lots going on that's maybe interesting...   :negative:

Randy is continuing to manage megacycle cams with motor progressing nicely otherwise, the frame etc. is at coating and due back next weekend, YZF750 LDL handlebar conversion kit (new upper triple) coming within 2 weeks, tires getting ordered within a couple days (going to try the Q2 Dunlops), pre-reinstallation tweaking and tuning of various bits continues, ...  this is fun stuff. :dash2:

Still nothing to take a picture of, except of course for the dwindling funds allocated for this project...   :crazy:

Frank

PS - Notice I've dropped any reference to completion of this project...  The project will be at the WCR one way or another, but hopefully I will ride her there.

simi_ed

Frank, I know this is not a newsflash. but it will never be "done".  I had my original list that I started with back in 2005 (17" rear, 3.5"wide front).  That has long since been done, but the project continues...

More pix in a few days.

Ed
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

craigo

Frank,

I don't remember which wheel is on your bike. If you have the Yamaha wheel with the upper caliper mount, I have a SS brake line for you. If you have the GSXR wheel with the under slung caliper, you'll have to go fish.

IM me with mailing address and I'll send it your way. Hey, pay it forward is something I have learned here.  :good:

CraigO

CraigO
90FJ1200

Flynt

Quote from: simi_ed on February 17, 2012, 08:26:10 PM
the project continues...

Ed

Actually a good thing IMHO...  who knows what kind of trouble I could get into without these distractions.

This level of "done" should be a big step up from the last time I was "done" approx 1 yr ago.  I'm also doing some fine tuning on suspension and trying to close all gaps I had noticed in the past year.  We'll take this level for a bit and see what's next.

Frank

Mark Olson

keep gong frank , it will be awesome at the next incarnation . :good2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Klavdy

This build is going to be the best build yet, far better than "Black Sunshine" in so many ways.
This is going to be a professionally built street machine, a sleeper too.
A race  book in quaint old clothes.
I for one, love it.
You'll make money from magazine shoots too.
Welll done mate and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it.
All the best, mate.
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

racerman_27410

i know you're going to love your new engine.

did you say you found some Kehins?

they are the shiznit.......you better have a good grip!  :good2: :good2: :good2: :good2:

with the 1349cc pump you are going to need a couple size smaller main and pilot jets for the FCRs than what they are going to come with ..... remember a bigger pump will pull more fuel thru a smaller jet @ a greater velocity vs. a smaller pump with a larger jet @ a lower velocity.

The needles they come with are perfect for the FJ and the air jets are adjustable so you're golden as far as that part of the tuning goes.

get ready fer KOokaloo! :good2:

Flynt

Quote from: racerman_27410 on February 18, 2012, 07:18:43 PM
...did you say you found some Kehins?

I did...  supposedly the last set in the US, backorder from here on out.  

I also found a tuning shop in my neck of the woods with all the appropriate jets and a dyno, so we'll get her tuned with sniffer for correct AFR.  The set I got is jetted for an XJR1300, so I amy not be too far off.  With the cams, bigger values, P&P head, and Akra exhaust, etc. I want to do the dyno time to make sure it is right.

Frank

racerman_27410

Quote from: Flynt on February 20, 2012, 12:42:04 PM

The set I got is jetted for an XJR1300, so I amy not be too far off.  With the cams, bigger values, P&P head, and Akra exhaust, etc. I want to do the dyno time to make sure it is right.

Frank

yes mine were for the XJR 1300 also.... remember thats really just a 1250cc engine.

for sure take the dyno time and do the job right..... you will be most happy with the results.  :good2:

the only negative thing i can say about the FCR's is the lack of a choke but a few twists of the throttle will usually do the trick unless its really cold outside.

KOokaloo!