News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Removed her heart...

Started by Flynt, December 31, 2011, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynt

Quote from: dixiethedog on August 16, 2012, 07:16:00 AM
Hmm...keep up the good work,as i enjoy all forms of modded FJ's. Good bad and indifferent. The FJ chop used to have the intake pipes set in that postion for shows,as they looked better. Its not my bike,but a friends. Or it was his until he became bored one day and chopped it up with an angle grinder. So it doesnt exist anymore. Mad Englishman and all that...

Reflecting on prior comments...  I was harsh.  As art it is not bad, but I'm kind of form follows function biased and appreciate machines that look like they will work well at least.  You can tell that lot's of effort went into the project, just not done to my taste...  to each his own.

Anyway, no offense intended.   :pardon:

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

dixiethedog

Thanks Frank,I understand exactly what you mean with the idea that things should work well and be useable. No offense taken by any means,different strokes for different folks and all that. Talking to the builder last night,I mentioned the comments made,and he laughed them off. But we both agreed,its great to see a well built performance orientated FJ,and your build, we are sure fits the bill perfectly. :good2:

fj11.5

Impressed with the supercharged fj, is that black sunshine? ? :good2:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Flynt

Quote from: Flynt on August 09, 2012, 11:16:45 PM

KOokaloo!--- check!!!

So I'm riding her quite a bit trying to get through break-in.  Rode with Randy on Saturday and we decided to advance the timing to the 5 degree mod I had done before.  I was holding off due to fear of pinging, bu tnof such behavior going up to Yosemite.

All I can say is holy shit!  This brightened the entire experience and made 6K+ into a fire breathing scramble for traction! This is a monster of bike now and is the most fun I have had riding in a very long time.

Flynt

yamaha fj rider

Flynt if it runs half as good as it looks WOW what a ride.  :good2:

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

Flynt

Made a big improvement with the LED instrument lights...   :i_am_so_happy:  check it out:

Major improvement over all 4 bulbs being burned out (forgot to check this before re-assy) last week.

Frank

Flynt

Quote from: racerman_27410 on August 15, 2012, 12:08:52 AM
only real issue i've found with the FCRs is lack of a choke.....

three full twists of the throttle , hit the starter....and repeat.....and repeat.... until a stable idle is achieved

Hi Frank,

I'm doing 2 twists, then holding open slightly...  "rolls" to a start immediately, then I ramp to and hold at 3000 rpm for 20-30 sec.  At that point it will idle a little slow...  maybe 950 rpm...  but it does idle and pull like a tractor going sharp right ahd uphill out of my driveway.

This is better than pre FCRs for me...  the Mikunis required 3 clicks for 15-20 sec, then 1 click to make it run OK out the driveway, then off as you rolled to speed away from the house.  FCRs take 20-30 sec to stabilize, then give me no further trouble thus far.

Frank

Flynt

Quote from: Flynt on September 27, 2012, 11:07:59 PM
This is better than pre FCRs for me...  

So today was a hot one for San Jose, about 95 degrees when I went out for a ride.  This is my first time out above about 75 with the carb adjustments from Frank and the 5 degree advance thrown in.  I know the tune likes hot weather, so I wanted to check it out a bit more methodically when the weather was a bit more FL.

Runs better across the range, but the mid range is still fat.  Clears up a little earlier and you hear the bike stop making noise and make much more power starting at 4,500rpm (this was about 5K at 75 degrees).  But here's the fun part... at about 7K rpm Dr Jekyll transforms, Mr Hyde is born, and the front wheel heads for the sky.  The temperature difference is getting me into some very sweet spot for the mains and the bike just explodes out from under you.  This should be what I can accomplish across the rev range with some dyno time.

Already having a blast and looking forward to next weekend.

Frank

Pat Conlon

Frank, how's your oil consumption?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Flynt

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 01, 2012, 10:48:24 PM
Frank, how's your oil consumption?

Lengthy and boring answer sent via PM...

Frank

racerman_27410

Have you had this beastie on the dyno yet?

KOokaloo!

Frank

Flynt

Quote from: racerman_27410 on October 04, 2012, 10:15:48 PM

Sadly no...  I had pre-arranged the tuning with Marc of Fabtech, but now that we're ready to go it has been hard to get scheduled.  Good news it she's already running well enough that I can't complain (thank you again Frank!).  I do hope to get the tuning done in relatively warm weather to keep some safety margin for the really hot riding days (from getting too lean).

Frank

fj11.5

scared to ask, but what's the damage to your wallet for the engine upgrades  :shok:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Flynt

Quote from: fj11.5 on October 05, 2012, 05:30:51 PM
scared to ask, but what's the damage to your wallet for the engine upgrades  :shok:

Sorry I missed this for so long...  but sadly I don't really have an answer for you since it is not complete quite yet.  I think you can expect the engine mods alone (no carbs or cams) would be $5K roughly if you fully outsource.  Randy can give more detail, but you'd want to talk with him and make some choices that will determine your bill.

Frank

Flynt

Quote from: racerman_27410 on October 04, 2012, 10:15:48 PM
Delivered to Factory Pro today...  they said it will take about a week, but at the end I'll have the cams set to give the power curve I want and the AFR set nicely for 80 degree SJ weather (they have a temp controlled dyno room).  I'll also have the dyno data of course... :gamer:

Exciting stuff...  and we'll be running nicely in Petaluma.  I'm mostly just glad to be getting away from the over-rich situation I've been experiencing since the build.  The smoke screen at WOT has been comical, but I'd rather make power out of the fuel.   :ireful:

Good news is even with Frank's tune, I've got more work to do and more Hp to gain! :yahoo:

Frank