News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Found cause of nagging noise

Started by Mike 86 in San Dimas, December 26, 2011, 03:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike 86 in San Dimas

For years I have been trying to find the cause of a noise which occurs when I hit bumps. I have inspected, pushed, pulled, yanked on components trying see what might be loose and tried to simulate by compressing forks to no avail. I could not reproduce the noise in the garage. I posted my issue and received plenty of pointers. I concluded that what ever it was, it was not anything hazardous and have just tolerated it while continuing my search when doing other service. Well during the course of doing a HID light conversion I found that the reflector inside the headlight assembly was broken. I found a headlight on eBay for more than I wanted to pay (but did) and completed my installation today. Eureka noise is gone. Thought this might help someone else that may have been chasing a similar noise.

Mike

FJmonkey

Mike, how is your HID upgrade? Are you seeing the light?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Have not used it at night yet. I am not too crazy about this lamp. Cant compare since I have no other experience. The wiring exits the lamp at a 90 degree angle. Bottom line is it extremely difficult to get the retaining clip and rubber boot that seals the headlight on. I an not sure it can be done with the headlight installed. I had the headlight removed and getting the boot on was still difficult. Is the lamp you have like this?

Did a couple of quick runs on GMR (including this morning) and to Crystal lake the past several days (on vacation til the 3rd). Man the weather has been awesome! We are` very fortunate.   :biggrin:
Mike

bugboy

My source of the nagging noise turned out to be a little chinese woman that always seems to be in my house.  Those things are harder get rid of then rats.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mike 86 in San Dimas on December 31, 2011, 03:41:46 PM
The wiring exits the lamp at a 90 degree angle. Bottom line is it extremely difficult to get the retaining clip and rubber boot that seals the headlight on. I an not sure it can be done with the headlight installed. I had the headlight removed and getting the boot on was still difficult. Is the lamp you have like this?
Mike
I had no problems with the DDM kit on my bike or my truck. If the wires exit at 90 then the assembly is long enough to miss any obstacles. Not sure, I will have to look.

You up for a ride tomorrow?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Mine is "Speed Metal" brand. It fits OK. I just dread the idea of having to change the lamp someday. It really does does not fit the rubber boot. I was able to force it on (headlight removed from bike, so not so hard that way). Enough of that.
We are off to the beach today with Grandson and others for bicycle riding. 85 degrees love it.
Enjoy your ride!

Mike

88 gtu

I have a funny noise too that is in the front end that i can't seem to find. I've tried to tet it to make the noise several times to. It happens when i ride over crushed gravel or go down a bumpy trail. I'm starting to think it's the headset. It's a knocking sound. As i hit the bumps it wil go knock knock knock knock It's also chewing front tires like crazy! :dash2:

Mike 86 in San Dimas

To check the headlight reflector remove the light bulb and poke your finger in the opening (did not want to say hole, might get comments) and see if you can move the  bracket that adjust the headlight angle. Or see if the lamp holder pushes in in easily (it shouldn't). The bracket is what was broken on mine. With the headlight assembly removed it is easy to check but that's a big hassle if that was not the trouble.  I tried to remove the headlight lens to see if I could repair the bracket but the lens would just chip. Might be glued on.  Maybe I gave up too easily. I ended up buying a new headlight assembly. Noise gone now.
I have not heard of this happening to anyone else so it may not be a "common" failure.
Mike

oldktmdude

Quote from: 88 gtu on January 02, 2012, 09:07:48 PM
I have a funny noise too that is in the front end that i can't seem to find. I've tried to tet it to make the noise several times to. It happens when i ride over crushed gravel or go down a bumpy trail. I'm starting to think it's the headset. It's a knocking sound. As i hit the bumps it wil go knock knock knock knock It's also chewing front tires like crazy! :dash2:
Sounds like loose steering head bearings to me. Might be time for adjustment or replacement. Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Horse

Hello from Oziland, Yes fj headlights do seem to rattle themselvs to bits  :dash1: I found my inturnals sepparated & couldn't afford a newy so I stuffed it full of small bits of foam rubber (I know it sounds dodgy ) it hasn't melted yet  :unknown:, or started a fire :diablo: so I'm good with it for now .......  Happy New year to All :wacko3:
There is no great genius without some touch of madness
And Never Underestimate the Predictability of Stupidity !!

RichBaker

Quote from: oldktmdude on January 03, 2012, 07:57:39 PM
Quote from: 88 gtu on January 02, 2012, 09:07:48 PM
Sounds like loose steering head bearings to me. Might be time for adjustment or replacement. Regards, Pete.

The front fender makes a similar noise when the mounting tabs start breaking...... I didn't figure that one out until the whole rear 1/2 fell off.   :dash1:
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

Flyover Country Joe

You aren't kidding. My fender pieces never fell off, but they are in need of tab repair. Still going with the "streetfighter " look. :rofl2:
                                                                                                     Joe

axiom-r

Sometimes it is a weak center stand spring. When you hit a bump the stand drops away and then returns to rest resulting in the noise.

Tim
1992 FJ1200 w 2007 R1 Front & Rear

SlowOldGuy

Hey Joe (and anyone suffering from broken front fender tabs)
Did you remove the reflector bracket that mounts behind the fender tabs?  The thickness of this bracket is required to avoid overstressing the tabs.  Without the bracket in place, the tabs will crack when the fender bolts are tightened down.

I know some people like to "clean up" the appearance or their bike by removing all the DOT reflectors.  Just a heads-up

Also, back in October I promised to send you something.  Sorry for the delay, I'll get that in the mail soon

DavidR.

Quote from: Flyover Country Joe on January 10, 2012, 03:13:10 PM
You aren't kidding. My fender pieces never fell off, but they are in need of tab repair. Still going with the "streetfighter " look. :rofl2:
                                                                                                     Joe

Flyover Country Joe

Quote from: axiom-r on January 10, 2012, 03:47:42 PM
Sometimes it is a weak center stand spring. When you hit a bump the stand drops away and then returns to rest resulting in the noise.

Tim
Nope, not in this case. The PO removed the centerstand. But I do have a big rectangular magnet to JB Weld to the bottom of the left footpeg. The side stand does flop around quite a bit.
                                                             Joe