News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Dual Sporting @ The 2009 Spring Boone Rally

Started by Smola67, February 10, 2009, 07:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mst3kguy

dude, you're talking my language.  i love smoking a big ol' pork shoulder, i've done it twice with the alton-brown-food-network-good-eats-smoker aka the terra cotta smoker (look it up, it's way cool), and have done it with a dedicated smoker i bought.  i'd kill for one of those 55 gal drum smokers.

Quote from: Smola67 on February 11, 2009, 06:46:23 PM

Me too me too

I will most likely be a no show at the spring rally, but what about the east coast Pig roast, dirty bike, Tobacco, FJ, and Gun fest?
[/quote]

Well ill be bring all my toys to the fall rally as well. All I need now is to build a smoker and we could all pitch in on some Boston butts and Eric could Cook them all day since he wants too.  ;) Everyone who are interested in BBQ could bring their favorite sauce and share. I have a welder, small trailer, so all I need is a 50 gallon drum and some propane plumbing. I think that would be big enough for 6-8 butts. Buns, cole slaw, baked beans, beer and we are in business. oh if someone has some good smoking wood you could bring that as well.

Rally Food. Yum

[/quote]
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

mst3kguy

ya gots to have some hickory wood if you're making barbecue.  i believe jack gutshall (jack and nancy) and i had a discussion at the fall 08 rally that he has a bunch of hickory wood in his woods.  i was trying to figure out a way to get it from his house to mine.  ( :

Quote from: Smola67 on February 11, 2009, 06:57:30 PM
Great Frank!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

And that wood sounds great Eric.
dean

Smola67

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Smola67 on February 11, 2009, 07:47:27 PM
Sure I can bring the Welder.

and some angle? and some welding rods and some????? hickory wood. I really dont think I can carry much wood on the fj,,, or steel for that matter. I will however supply the skill to make a cooker and the proper rally attitude for cooking....
Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

TRoy

Peace & Love
86FJ 100K+
07Burg650
15Downtown300

rlucas

Quote from: Smola67 on February 11, 2009, 06:04:49 PM
Quote from: ddlewis on February 11, 2009, 11:35:11 AM
sounds great!  if we can get enough interest, I'll do it. 

Looks like 25 miles or more down there.. I'd say let's cram as many bikes into as few trailers as possible and pull them down from Boone.  Nice to carry tools and stuff.  And if we break one nobody gets stranded.

We can do that but I have been prepping my bike for a long dual sport trip and I am psyched to do it on Two OO Wheels. It would be very cool if Someone wanted to tow down and the few of us that wanted to ride would have a support vehicle to back us up if needed. Just an idea. So if someone wants to bring a full on trail or track bike Pisgah is waiting on you.  ;D

Jim, can I take this to mean that Pisgah allows full-on race bikes? Their website doesn't say. I'm fairly sure the KTM won't be *quite* legal by then, at least for actual street use...it's got lights, horn, turn signals, spark arrestor, etc....just no actual, ummmmm, registration. I could truck both bikes down, although I hadn't planned on it (also depends on whether I can get the truck prepped in time...it hasn't been driven in months and it's sitting in the driveway with a flat tire). Along with me learning to reliably start the Katoom...it takes a big ass or a very healthy boot to spin those 300cc's of smokin' two-stroke fun to life. The RM250 and the Exacta Trials, while it would be a hoot, are completely out of the question. As would be the Sikk Trail...I don't see me keeping up on a 125cc Chinese Honda motor, and it *definitely* aint legal, plus it attracts undue attention.

Or, in keeping with Nobby's inquiry, would this intended ride be doable on the WeeStrom? In other words, dirt and gravel roads but no nasty single-track? (or mud, logs, boulders, or rocky water crossings...that kinda thing)? I mean, Randy T., Danny Lewis and I conquered TN Forestry Service Road #217 a couple of years ago on FJs above Bald River Falls, and it got kinda gnarly in spots - actually, Danny cheated; he already had the Wee.  ;)

Big-ass sportbikes on one-lane dirt with big, embedded rocks and deep patches of river rock low-spot fill - potentially expensive. Unbelieving stares from Jeeps full of people going *downhill* - free. Danny's later comment - "Damn, your faster on that FJ in dirt than you are on the street..." - priceless.

Also, unfortunately true.

Rossi
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

Smola67

Well some trails are big enough for trucks and I have seen 2 or 3 over my 4 trips. As for Nobby and your big bike You could ride the very easy trails but could not go were the billy goat XR400 goes. I would bring the KTM if it was me but dont let that stop you from bringing a bigger bike with good trail tires. I am sure Pisgah has some rules but I have seen hundreds of big 2 smokers blasting all over the place.
As for Single track it has tons.
As for Welding, I have a Lincoln MIG so no welding sticks needed. I can bring some steel and the small trailer to build the cooker on. This way I can bring it to each rally. Need someone to bring a saw or something to cut the steel and the drum. Please let me know if you have a drum or metal grate you can bring. Since you have the plans Eric, you know your job. I would love tons of input on this project and everyone is welcome to pitch in as they please.

Good to see ya TRoy! ;D

Mark Olson

Quote from: Yamifj1200 on February 11, 2009, 07:05:00 PM
Quote from: Smola67 on February 11, 2009, 06:57:30 PM
Great Frank!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Jim, Im sure we can get a 55 gal. barrel you gona bring the welder to Boone?? if so we can make up a cooker with the barrel and some 2x2 angle for a frame we also will need something to use as a grate bring a saw and we can make it up friday evening.....

Eric M

Get frank to bring some old fan guards off a/c units, they make great grills and grates, just don't use the painted ones.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

rlucas

I just checked the "official" Brown Mountain ORV site, and the *do* allow full-blown, unlicensed bikes inside. They don't even mention spark arrestors, which I thought were required inside any state-run area.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/brown_mountain_orv.pdf

This could be a possibility...

Rossi

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

rlucas

Oops, I take that back. Nowhere do they say it's required, but they do say, "Make sure your spark arrestor is working properly. You are responsible for any fires you start."

They also say, in effect, "If you make a poo-poo in the woods, bury it at least 6 inches deep and 200 feet from water."

And, "Don't drink from the creek." Duh.

Rossi

ddlewis

Quote from: rlucas on February 11, 2009, 08:21:36 PM..."Damn, your faster on that FJ in dirt than you are on the street..." - priceless.

Also, unfortunately true.

I swear I don't know why you even bother with the KTM, you should just ride the FJ..  :)

I'm fairly certain you can ride any dirtbike there (B.M.)   They allow Quads which aren't street legal anywhere, so surely a motocross bike would fly as well.

I have a buddy who went to Brown mountain. He likened it to a small scale Hatfield McCoy which means I wouldn't take my Wee there.  Probably, like HM, there are some places where you could get around, but high stress and low fun. 

I still think about those forest roads off the Cherohalla.. I would love to go exploring some more of those.. maybe we can drag 'ol Nobby along.  Check GoogleEarth.. there are lots of forest roads.

mst3kguy

Quote from: ddlewis on February 12, 2009, 06:33:59 PM

I still think about those forest roads off the Cherohalla.. I would love to go exploring some more of those.. maybe we can drag 'ol Nobby along.  Check GoogleEarth.. there are lots of forest roads.

i occasionally check google maps and check out the cherohala, and am real curious about all the little roads off the cherohala.  if anyone wants to rent me something that would handle whatever anyone else is bringing or equivalent, i'd be up for it.
dean

the fan

If you are tyrailering down you are more than welcome to my YZ Dean. Definately not street legal, but more than dirt worthy.

Its just the motivation I need to put it together.

mst3kguy

thanks bill.  let me know how i can help.  whereas if it were my bike, my guess is we'd make arrangements when we could meet up to get it ready.  since it's your bike, i'm guessing you'd like to make plans how to keep me away from wrenching on it.  ( :  so if you need any pizza delivery or coffee runs, let me know?

Quote from: the fan on February 12, 2009, 10:30:06 PM
If you are tyrailering down you are more than welcome to my YZ Dean. Definately not street legal, but more than dirt worthy.

Its just the motivation I need to put it together.
dean

Smola67

Dean off road. This is getting good. Can't wait. :)