News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

New pads and a short (cold) ride

Started by FJmonkey, November 05, 2011, 09:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

I really hated having to put new pads on the front. I am springs, emulators, Master and lines away from upgrading to a 17" front. Since I am not close enough I had to put new pads to keep riding. My Clymer's manual has the minimum thickness of friction material as .5 MM. It also mentions to change them if you hit the wear indicators (the groove cut in the middle I assume). I went past the groove and still had 1.6 MM. Time to change them anyway, my ridding was affected knowing my front pads were quite low. My local store had Galfer organic pads $35 a set. The install went smooth and I took her for a short test ride to make sure the pads were in and were gonna grab when I need them. They needed little time before they felt bedded in. Not much difference from the EBC pads I took out. Still stock but they stop me when I grab the lever. Here are a few pics of old and new. The old one shown is the thinnest.

Then for a short 70 mile jaunt around my back yard to Newcomb's ranch for coffee and sprint back down the hill. I stopped and took a few pics of why my ride was a bit cold. Good thing I thought to bring my heaver gloves and neck warmer, I needed them. The roads were mostly clear, not too much debris (normal after a rain here) just some wet corners where the snow is melting. Riding on this cold day was good for one thing, I was one of few on the road, very few cagers and no LEOs the entire trip.

And after this trip I see that I will need new front tire soon, close to the wear bars. Damit I need to upgrade to 17" to get modern rubber in the front. The Avons are good but I feel there is much better out there in the 17" size.

Tomorrow I will throw the soft bags on and take some pics for ninjamuder.

The Climer's list the MIN thickness in the front (stock vented) rotor as 7.5 MM. Is this correct? If so then I am 0.5 MM  under spec.  :dash2: 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Arnie

As you say, time for a new front end.

Arnie

SlowOldGuy

You can save those pads for the rear after you upgrade.

DavidR.

FJmonkey

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on November 05, 2011, 10:28:16 PM
You can save those pads for the rear after you upgrade.
DavidR.
Thanks, I like thinking outside the box, but I already have a GSXR rear 17" on the bike with fresh pads. I will more likely donate them to a needy fellow FJ owner with a stock front. As it is my rear brakes are likely to last the life of the bike. I only use them when stopping for lights and slowing down when not leaned over. I avoid commuting and all other forms of traffic. It is a means to get to and from the twisties. It is amazing how invisible we are to the cagers. It is like we are some life form other than human....

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: FJmonkey on November 05, 2011, 10:36:32 PM
As it is my rear brakes are likely to last the life of the bike. I only use them when stopping for lights and slowing down when not leaned over.

First, you really need to do the front wheel mod.  I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but it was an amazing difference on my '85.  I've hardly noticed any difference with my recent YZF600 rear upgrade.

Secondly, it's funny how different riding styles are.  I go through 2 to 3 sets of rear brakes before I change fronts.  I changed fronts on my '93 back in '00.  Still have plenty of pad left up front.  Probably halfway through the second set of rears.

DavidR.

FJmonkey

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on November 05, 2011, 10:47:40 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on November 05, 2011, 10:36:32 PM
As it is my rear brakes are likely to last the life of the bike. I only use them when stopping for lights and slowing down when not leaned over.
First, you really need to do the front wheel mod.  I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but it was an amazing difference on my '85.  I've hardly noticed any difference with my recent YZF600 rear upgrade.
Secondly, it's funny how different riding styles are.  I go through 2 to 3 sets of rear brakes before I change fronts.  I changed fronts on my '93 back in '00.  Still have plenty of pad left up front.  Probably halfway through the second set of rears.
DavidR.
Just curious David, how is your front to rear tire replacement ratio? If you have more flat/straight up riding verses front to rear brake pad wear.... Do you tend to flat spot your tires or wear off the sides. I rode with a fellow member from TX and he was far from comfortable with canyon riding. Hell, his forks were almost empty and he thought it was OK till he tried to follow me when I was doing two up with his sister on pillion. Years ago I was a commuter and bought tires half price from a racer (in my 86 CBR 600 days) cuz he wore off the sides and I wore off the centers. 

And YES I need the front end upgrade and a Penski rear to stop the pogo effect I feel every ride. I just need more $$$

SlowOldGuy

I don't commute so most of my miles are twisty when I get the chance. Lately it seems I've been wearing out the sides of the fronts about twice as fast as the rear. The Harley rear tire on my '85 lasted thru several fronts.

The Dunlop Roadsmart I've been running on the front of the '93 only lasts about 3K before it's worn out on the sides.  Sticks really good, though.

The Pilot Roads on the FZ both last about the same amount of miles.

With 3 bikes it's kind of hard to track. Sometimes I change before the tire is totally worn if I'm headed to Arkansas just so I don't run the risk of having to change in the middle of a trip.

There are a few Texans that know how to ride well: Schwantz, Edwards, and Spies come to mind. :-)

I'm not sure how they learned, must have spent all their time on the track cause there are very few curves around here.

DavidR.

Mark Olson

Hey monkey (Mark) what is the holdup with the upgrade ? whatcha need?
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mark Olson on November 06, 2011, 04:31:44 PM
Hey monkey (Mark) what is the holdup with the upgrade ? whatcha need?
Simi_Ed will sell me his Blue dots, once he changes over to his Gold dots, no rush as I need other thing as well. I need to rebush/build Ed's old 89' forks with emulators Race Tech or preferably Randy's. 0.95 straight rate springs. A 14 MM master, might use the Kawasaki one Ed has offered me. New steel lines form Orm Brothers (a local shop). I need to check the two front wheels I have to see which is straighter. A tire. Check the rotors for flatness and thickness, hopefully I won't need new rotors. Maybe some new bearings. Once all the parts are in then I need some wrenching time to switch over. Mostly the funds to get the parts. Not sure if I will rebuild the forks myself or pay someone else. I would like to do them myself as I like to know how different systems work and how to fix them. Not sure what tools I need. Very much a mechanical engineer type.

Mark Olson

well , sounds like a weekend project.  :rofl2:

Yeah I know it is hard to stop riding long enough to get anything done butt isn't it raining where you are at right now? :scratch_one-s_head:

Simi-Ed is cool as hell but if you wait on him it may be a year from now, Ask him about his fzr-wheel.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Mark Olson on November 06, 2011, 05:02:20 PM
well , sounds like a weekend project.  :rofl2:
Yeah I know it is hard to stop riding long enough to get anything done butt isn't it raining where you are at right now? :scratch_one-s_head:
Simi-Ed is cool as hell but if you wait on him it may be a year from now, Ask him about his fzr-wheel.
Rained like hell on Friday, changed the pads on Sat and snuck in a quick ride, then rained again today. No room in the garage so no working on the bike when it is raining. Another thing I need to fix....Get the girl inside and comfortable where I work on her as needed. Ed has been really helpful to me. He talked me into my first upgrade to my 86', HID light. I liked them so much I put them on my truck. When my project gets close enough I will offer to help Ed to switch out his Blue dots and won't take NO for an answer. You just have to ask the right way.....

Mark Olson

You just have to ask the right way.....

ohhhhh that is the secret . :shok:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

simi_ed

When Mark (fjmonkey) show up at my door, it's harder to resist him  :blum1: 
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

simi_ed

Mark, you can do the forks yourself, it's no big deal.  I already have made the too to disassemble the '89 forks.  You meet the minimum mechanical requirement to do this job, w/o a doubt.  :hi:
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

FJmonkey

Quote from: simi_ed on November 07, 2011, 02:42:15 AM
When Mark (fjmonkey) show up at my door, it's harder to resist him  :blum1: 
Man, nothing but love from ED.... Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...I wonder why he puts up with my crap?