News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Header paint

Started by grannyknot, July 29, 2011, 06:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grannyknot

Another obvious topic but would like to know what you guys have tried and had success with.
1984 FJ 1100, steel pipes.
I've had some good results with ceramic coatings but depends very much on the guy doing the work.
Paint, again some success but not sure why sometimes it works and others it fails right away.
The 4 into 1 header and muffler that came with the bike are welded together courtesy of the P/O so not sure if ceramic coating is even an option. I figured paint was best way of dealing with bare steel welded onto a good chrome muffler.
All opinions welcome.
84 Yamaha FJ1100L
82 Honda CB450T
70 Suzuki T500
90 BMW K75S

Arnie

I've used VHT brand exhaust paint a few times with reasonable success.
Follow the instructions on the can. 

Make sure your pipes are CLEAN, spray in light coats and don't put on any more than needed.
You'll probably have to re-paint in a couple of years.

Arnie

fb747

I've heard you can get a good finnish if you clean them up well maybe even a light sand, then apply a first coat. Reinstall pipes and go for a good ride to cure the paint then remove, clean and apply a second coat and enjoy.
Life's pretty straight without twisties.

Dan Filetti

Quote from: fb747 on July 30, 2011, 06:19:05 AM
I've heard you can get a good finnish if you clean them up well maybe even a light sand, then apply a first coat. Reinstall pipes and go for a good ride to cure the paint then remove, clean and apply a second coat and enjoy.

The poor man's powder-coating!

Seems like a good idea, if a lot of work.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

JMR

I used to use HPC but now Jet Hot owns everything. If you are never going to sell the bike I'd recommend their coating inside and out.

markmartin

I use Rustoleum High Heat Paint, Black, Semi Gloss.  I paint the headers and the finned part of the motor once a year,  masking off the bike with newspaper, masking tape, and throw blankets.  Start the motor and let the headers and block get warm and spray paint.  It's a quick and superficial method, but I think it looks pretty good.

andyb

Proper ceramic coating.  Why bother doing it more than once?