News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Frame paint?

Started by grannyknot, July 27, 2011, 06:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grannyknot

Has anyone found a good rattle can equivalent to the silver paint on our frames?

I know I'm cheaping out but with good prep and application I have had some Duplicolor canned paint look good after 6 yrs. Unfortunately they don't have a great selection of colours. I'm not looking for exact, original colour match, just something in the ballpark that doesn't grab the eye.   
84 Yamaha FJ1100L
82 Honda CB450T
70 Suzuki T500
90 BMW K75S

fj11.5

Don't know about a silver ,but epoxy enamal? Works well.
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

carsick

I use Plasti-Kote #618 Steel Wheels in the aerosol can. Slightly different than the factory shade but passable. It's an epoxy resin, fairly tough. Dupli-Color has a WP101 wheel paint, however I find it a bit too brash, more of a cast aluminum look.

Lotsokids

I've been contemplating painting my frame black, but I like the swingarm silver. I'm afraid if the swingarm is the only silver part, then it will stand out too much.
U.S. Air Force sport bike instructor (initial cadre), 2007-2009

I'm an American living & working in Hungary

fj11.5

Actually they look good blacked out,, I did
mine after the pic I have on here , left the swingvarm as it was, matches well with the forks
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

DailyDriver

I've used ColorRite paint. You can get in professional quart sizes or aerosol cans. They have factory colors for body and frame as well as clear coat. However, they are a bit expensive. I'm working on a project myself at the moment and just finished shooting the frame and swing arm with the aerosol primer. One can was enough to get the job done. Good luck.

http://www.colorrite.com/
Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog sticks its head out the window of a moving car.

Gazza

A brand called Porclyn made a dead-on silver that completely matched the color of the frame.  It was their 620 Aluminum Silver epoxy enamel.

I used to be able to Google it and get results but am unable to right now so I emailed the company to see if they still make it and where it can be found.

grannyknot

Carsick, I use to use Plastikote all the time but can't find any distributors in the great white north anymore, seems like everyone has gone to Duplicolor  (which is not a bad rattle can paint).

Lotsokids, I have toyed with the thought of polishing the aluminum swing arm, sometimes I don't remember my own pain threshold.

DD, ColorRite has a Canadian distributor. They look like a good company, their colour samples are kind of generic looking so I would have to find a specific year and make and order that instead of choosing from their samples.
Thanks all.
84 Yamaha FJ1100L
82 Honda CB450T
70 Suzuki T500
90 BMW K75S