News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Help! I used the wrong fuel

Started by FJTillDeath, July 18, 2011, 02:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJTillDeath

Okay I dont know what petrol is like across the world but in South Africa we have 2 kinds. Unleaded petrol and lead replacement petrol(LRP) and i filled my bike up on unleaded. I have ridden 5km so far on the petrol but found out I am supposed to use the LRP. I know it can damage my engine but I would like to know how much damage has already been done if any? I have another 2km to travel before I can completely drain the bike and put the proper fuel in. Somebody please tell me what my best options are right now? Also can somebody tell me where the place to drai the petrol is and if anything needs ro be disassembled or not? :dash2: :dash1: I am an idiot I know but I really need to know if the FJ will be fine or if the damage has been done
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling

jack02

I've been using unleaded in my FJ for the 11 years I've had it! As far as I know,all Japanese bikes have been designed to run on unleaded since around the mid 70's to satisfy some US emissions requirement. If you still wanna drain the tank,remove the two securing bolts at the rear,along with the fuel gauge connector and overflow tube,lift up the tank so's you can disconnect the fuel pipe (after using an 8mm flat-side spanner to turn the tap off!),connect a tube twixt tap and receptacle then crack the tap open.

RichBaker

Unless the octane is ridiculously low, you're OK.... Yamaha spec'd regular unleaded for the FJ11/1200s.  Relax and enjoy the ride....  :drinks:
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

FJTillDeath

Well I dont know if the unleaded you use is the same because my bike has battled to start even in the warm sun after using the unleaded fuel. The fuel is '95 unleaded and '95 LRP but I am just going by what the dealership has told me. The sound coming from the exhaust when the throttle was opened up was also slightly different more "tinny"

RichBaker

You guys use a different system than we do, ours is rated using the average of RON+MON. I think yours use RON only.... so 95 octane should be the same as, or slightly higher than the 87 octane I put in my tank.  The lack of lead is NOT a problem....
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire

FJTillDeath

Ok then I am really confused because the dealership told me (well actually stressed to me) that i must drain the fuel yet you are saying Yamaha recommend unleaded? it might be because i still had a litre of the LRP in when I refuelled so the 2 mixed but i am still really confused. the LRP is red and the unleaded is green, but then in your opinion which fuel is the better to use? the LRP or the unleaded?

RichBaker

Well, the FJ owners manual specifically states that unleaded regular is the recommended fuel, and I've been using US 87 octane ((RON+MON)/2) for many years...... IIRC, the manual states 92RON, but it's been a few years since I looked. We don't have an LRP fuel in the US, only 2 or 3 grades of unleaded, depending on the gas station and region.
Tennessee Squire

FJTillDeath

the USA is really spoiled for  choice then we only have Diesel, '95LRP and 95Unleaded and thats it the only diference is the brand name from different fueling stations. I understand how your petrol works in your bike but it still doesnt explain why my dealership stressed to me to use LRP otherwise it would damage my engine. Perhaps it is as you say that the fuel is low octane but i will do some research quickly and see what I can find.

RichBaker

Unless a previous owner had some major work done, either high-compression pistons or shaved the head to increase compression, there is really no need for the LRP. The main purpose of lead in gasoline is to lubricate the valve seats, to prevent the valve face from sticking to the seat and leave bits of valve face on there. A side benefit is increased "knock" resistance, but a sufficient octane rating precludes the need for tetra-ethyl lead.
Tennessee Squire

FJTillDeath

Thanks I think I will actually phone the previous owner and see exactly what he did not that it is a problem as LRP is cheaper than unleaded at any rate but yeah it would be nice just to know exactly what is cooking under the tank. I really enjoy this forum though because my knowledge about bikes is probably as good as a guys knowledge of the female brain but I am actually learning some very interestin things. I downloaded an extremely detailed document that shows how every part is put together on the FJ down to the very skrews so atleast when certain parts are mentioned I can look at the document and sort of know what to do

FJTillDeath

I really dont know if the bike has any modifications other than the exhaust as the dealership didnt tell me so for all I know it may be less stock than I know

billwest

Take it for a good run, and then st top it up with what you think should be in there.

Here in Oz we use the Unleaded, either 92 or 95 octane.

Bill.
Sold it!

oldktmdude

If you're worried about using the remaining unleaded fuel you can add a product which adds lubricant to the valves. It's added to your fuel, so it's easy to do. It should be available at your petrol station. I don't think you have to use it, but it may give you peace of mind.   Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

jack02

In my first job as a trainee dental technician aged 17, I had a dreadful Honda CB100N. I managed to run out of fuel upon my arrival one day,so in my incredible naivety tipped in half a gallon of a very pernicious fluid called methyl methacrylate (monomer). All I knew was that it was highly flammable so figured it'd be OK. The bike ran,and it did get me home,albeit accompanied by billowing black clouds and an overwhelming stench of pear drop sweets....

FJTillDeath

Well I got peace of mind finally, I took of the tank (first had to take off the seat and found a random bolt which i could not figure out where it belonged but) drained all the petrol was about 15 litres. then dropped another 15 litres of the LRP and noticed a considerable change from starting the bike up to its performance. Did it all during my lunch hour. So I am guessing that either my Bike just likes LRP or has had work done to it that requires LRP or the fact that a quarter of the petrol drained was LRP (so 3liters mixed with 12 of the green stuff) and so the mixture didnt agree with the bike. At least its done now so I am happy :good2: and when I run the tank dry I will try the unleaded so that the 2 petrols dont mix. Still sucks not to have any (well any that I know of) FJ riders in South Africa cos I dont have anybody to really ride with other than my friends who owns an R4 and the other who owns a CB400