News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

What's that noise ?!!!!!

Started by Yilt, July 07, 2011, 06:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flips

Quote from: Yilt on July 15, 2011, 08:17:05 AM
Just checked the sump, as i'm waiting for the gasket to arrive. I can confirm that the bits of metal that I found that resemble a thread, are indeed from the sump, and not the sump bolt that was in there. So the sump thread had been shred and fell off into the oil. Would that metal travelling around have caused the noise ? Cheers

Hi Yilt.
I suspect that the stripped thread peeled off the sump plug when you removed it to check the oil.While its never good to have any kind of metal shavings in the sump I would think it unlikely that
this was the cause of the noise,(disclaimer-Of couse not having heard the noise myself!!.You did say it was from the top end??)most likely it would just get stuck in the strainer on the oil pump pickup.Intermittant noises can be hard to pick :dash2:.If your pretty confidant that the headers arent leaking,I would suggest It may be worth the effort to remove the spark plugs and the rocker cover and turn the engine over and have a real good look/listen at the operation of the cams/valves/timing chain.Have a look at the colour of the  spark plugs as you pull them out.Any noticable discolouration may steer you in the right direction  (sticking valve??....)I would also do a compression test.Hopefully this may narrow your investigation....
Hope this helps... :empathy2:
Cheers
Jeff P.
Stay rubber side down.

flips

remove the spark plugs and the rocker cover

lol @ myself.......rocker cover!!.....should be cam cover....doh! :crazy:
Stay rubber side down.

Yilt

Final update as follows. The Cam cover was removed early in my investigation and all was fine there. The spark plugs are running at a nice tanned colour. I put the sump back together, ( New Gasket etc ). Exhaust was put back on and sealed tight. Started her up and was running sweet, very quiet. Took her for a ride, about 100miles or so, and she pulled in every gear like a Freight train. I'm going to leave it at that now, and hope that she'll stay as is. Thanks very much to you all for your support. ( KInd people who replied and tried to assist me, much appreciated ) I'm one very happy FJ owner, and absolutely love this bike. Cheers Yilt 

HydroDog

Quote from: ribbert on July 10, 2011, 09:51:54 AM
Quote from: Yilt on July 10, 2011, 09:31:27 AM
Just been outside and started the bike up, knock knock who's there ? I've noticed water pooling on the floor, and know it aint coolant because it aint water cooled. Condensation from inside the pipes and leaking out from a poorly sealed exhaust system, which is genuine. I let the bike run for approx' 10 minutes and couldn't feel any air coming out of the bike, or find any leaks, pinholes etc. Whilst I was checking the exhaust, I stood up and thought, hey the noise has gone. When the engine warmed up, the loud ticking noise disappeared. I'd love to know what the hell is going on with this bike ? Thanks again folks.
Yilt

Those symptons exactly can come from a loose exhaust pipe where it bolts onto the head. I can't begin to tell you how relieved I was to find that on a just built motor!  No idea on the water.
Noel
Thank You ribbert on the reply on this. My newly acquired bike just started doing this knocking sound like a bad wrist pin until I read this post. I stuck a stick between the pipes while running and pried them over one at a time until #3 pipe stopped knocking. All is good now!!! Thanks