News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

What's that noise ?!!!!!

Started by Yilt, July 07, 2011, 06:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJona86FJ

if your getting a shock then try replacing it.... swap the plug lead round to another cylinder ( remove it from the coil pack... they should have a shroud? that will unscrew then the plug wire should just pull out.... so .. say swap number three for number two ? hope this is making sense and see if the problem changes cylinders..... if you re getting any shock its faulty... you should be able to hang onto spark plug leads and have no drama.... when replacing try to get a steel core lead... i once went all fancy and bought a carbon splitfire lead... just added more headaches... stuttering clanking and no power over three grand.... went back to my 25 year old plug leads ( after some checking) and had no problems...
Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like,but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage.
W. Churchill

jvb_ca

Just a thought. Check your header pipes. If one of them are loose, it can sound like she's gonna blow. Makes a gawd awful scary sound.
HTH's

Cheers...Jake
Cheers...Jake
86FJ1200
Ontario

Yilt

Thanks for the replies guys, I very much appreciate you taking the time in trying to help me. I've been on a Military re-union away from home and just came back. I'll go outside and check those exhausts and see what I find. I'll keep you all posted. Cheers
Yilt

Yilt

Just been outside and started the bike up, knock knock who's there ? I've noticed water pooling on the floor, and know it aint coolant because it aint water cooled. Condensation from inside the pipes and leaking out from a poorly sealed exhaust system, which is genuine. I let the bike run for approx' 10 minutes and couldn't feel any air coming out of the bike, or find any leaks, pinholes etc. Whilst I was checking the exhaust, I stood up and thought, hey the noise has gone. When the engine warmed up, the loud ticking noise disappeared. I'd love to know what the hell is going on with this bike ? Thanks again folks.
Yilt

ribbert

Quote from: Yilt on July 10, 2011, 09:31:27 AM
Just been outside and started the bike up, knock knock who's there ? I've noticed water pooling on the floor, and know it aint coolant because it aint water cooled. Condensation from inside the pipes and leaking out from a poorly sealed exhaust system, which is genuine. I let the bike run for approx' 10 minutes and couldn't feel any air coming out of the bike, or find any leaks, pinholes etc. Whilst I was checking the exhaust, I stood up and thought, hey the noise has gone. When the engine warmed up, the loud ticking noise disappeared. I'd love to know what the hell is going on with this bike ? Thanks again folks.
Yilt

Those symptons exactly can come from a loose exhaust pipe where it bolts onto the head. I can't begin to tell you how relieved I was to find that on a just built motor!  No idea on the water.
Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

carsick

Combustion creates water as a byproduct, and a loose headpipe can heat up and seal itself, until the next cold start. I started an air cooled bike recently that sat for a decade in a dry spot (no wash, no rain, no dew), and it was dripping boiling water off the front of the head from an inaudible exhaust leak. Let's keep fingers crossed for you that it's a simple thing!

RichBaker

If you can't find an exhaust leak, fold a rag over a few times and cover the outlet with it between your hand and the outlet. You should be able to hear/find a leak then....
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

Yilt

Quick update for you all. I started the bike up today and warmed it up. The bike was rattling like hell. I thought to myself, let's rev the bike up a little, to about 4500 revs. Did this a couple of times and the noise went. I flushed the oil out and checked for bits of metal and saw metal in the oil that resembled thread off a bolt. Circular lumps of metal in there. I flushed it again, and changed the oil until it ran clean. Cleaned oil filter etc and put it all back together. Started her up, quiet as a church mouse, tivking overnice, no rattles at all. Took her out for a 100 mile blast, all roads andspeeds, performed faultlessly. Still quiet and sounding grand. I'm baffled, what the hell is going on ? Cheers for the people who tried to help me by posting.

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Yilt on July 12, 2011, 01:12:13 PM
.....I'm baffled, what the hell is going on ?

One of the many many engineering marvels of our FJ engines is the self machining feature.....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

mz_rider

Quote from: Yilt on July 12, 2011, 01:12:13 PM
Quick update for you all. I started the bike up today and warmed it up. The bike was rattling like hell. I thought to myself, let's rev the bike up a little, to about 4500 revs. Did this a couple of times and the noise went. I flushed the oil out and checked for bits of metal and saw metal in the oil that resembled thread off a bolt. Circular lumps of metal in there. I flushed it again, and changed the oil until it ran clean. Cleaned oil filter etc and put it all back together. Started her up, quiet as a church mouse, tivking overnice, no rattles at all. Took her out for a 100 mile blast, all roads andspeeds, performed faultlessly. Still quiet and sounding grand. I'm baffled, what the hell is going on ? Cheers for the people who tried to help me by posting.

Yilt,

Worrying news. Bits loose inside the engine is very bad. First off I wouldn't run the engine until I found out where bits in the oil came from. That bolt must have been holding something. The engine could go bang in a big way. FJ engines are bullet proof and don't do this (especially a low mileage motor) Since you have newly bought the bike it's possible that the previous owner stripped the thread on a bolt. I would contact him and ask if he had done any recent engine work. For a start I'd remove the cam cover and look for anything wrong. A bolt thread is too small to cause noise. I think there may still be something loose in there. Dropping the sump to check would make sense.

Stuart

NJona86FJ

well wasnt i miles out...lol good to see youve started find the problem. :good2:
Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like,but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage.
W. Churchill

Yilt

Thanks Stuart for that mate. I've already checked inside the rocker cover, and all is well in there. The sump is coming off asap. I'll let you know what I find. Cheers

Yilt

OK, took the sump off and it's clean as a whistle. No metal particles of any kind in there at all. Cheers

flips

Quote from: Yilt on July 13, 2011, 02:56:34 PM
OK, took the sump off and it's clean as a whistle. No metal particles of any kind in there at all. Cheers

Was the metal you found aluminium/alloy?.....could be stripped thread from over tightened sump plug....this happened to me.If so you will need to change the sump.It pays to buy a new sump plug washer when doing an oil change!!!

Cheers
Jeff P.
Stay rubber side down.

Yilt

Just checked the sump, as i'm waiting for the gasket to arrive. I can confirm that the bits of metal that I found that resemble a thread, are indeed from the sump, and not the sump bolt that was in there. So the sump thread had been shred and fell off into the oil. Would that metal travelling around have caused the noise ? Cheers