News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Valve Cover Gasket / Fork Seal Replacement - AGAIN!

Started by Lotsokids, July 06, 2011, 10:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotsokids

This is getting old. I've replaced the valve cover gasket 3 times in about a year. I just had the cover off when I installed a new cam chain tentioner, and noticed a small lengthwise separation. I put it on dry when I installed it - I learned from my last replacement when my sealant ate the rubber gasket. It's leaking oil onto the head again.

I also need to replace the fork seals again. These are also less than 1 year old.

Will this bike stop leaking???

To top it all off, the closest Yamaha dealer to me in Hungary is about 40 minutes away, and they totally stopped selling parts. :dash2:
U.S. Air Force sport bike instructor (initial cadre), 2007-2009

I'm an American living & working in Hungary

fb747

Consider changing the brass (?) bushings inside the forks as well. If they are worn the excess movement can aid in seal blow outs or create enough movement to let oil seep out.

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3AForkR%2FBKit

these things ^^^^
Life's pretty straight without twisties.

racerrad8

One thing I have found over the years is that when the valve cover has been taken on & off a lot the seat area of the V/C shoulder bolt on the cam cap crushes and compresses the gasket too tightly causing it to slip. For those instances I put a small 6mm flat washer on the bolt to make up for the crush the cap has experienced.

Secondly, if the bolt grommets are old & hard they will not expand and allow the valve cover to rise due to heat and the gasket can slip.

As mentioned already, the forks probably need to be rebuilt not just re-sealed.

Don't worry about parts, I can send them to you anytime.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

RichBaker

The fork stanchion tubes (the fixed ones) can get burrs and scratches from stones, and these will cut the seal.  Run your hands over them if you can't see anything. If it can catch a fingernail, it'll cut the seal.  I use an Arkansas stone to remove them, but fine emery cloth works, too.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

Lotsokids

Quote from: racerrad8 on July 06, 2011, 12:42:32 PM
...if the bolt grommets are old & hard they will not expand and allow the valve cover to rise due to heat and the gasket can slip.

Don't worry about parts, I can send them to you anytime.

Randy - RPM

I just replaced all the valve cover bolt grommets. I'll look at the cam cap also.

I'm shopping on your website now, Randy. I had a great experience with you shipping the carb jets and gaskets, hopefully this will be just as painless. My FJ is scheduled for drag races on August 19 - 20!

Lotsokids

Quote from: RichBaker on July 06, 2011, 03:31:21 PM
The fork stanchion tubes (the fixed ones) can get burrs and scratches from stones, and these will cut the seal.  Run your hands over them if you can't see anything. If it can catch a fingernail, it'll cut the seal.  I use an Arkansas stone to remove them, but fine emery cloth works, too.

Yeah, I've looked at the tubes carefully. They appear perfect. I think the major problem is probably the Ebay seals I installed.

RichBaker

Ebay seals will do it..... OEM is the only way to go with them.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

weymouth399

84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Lotsokids

Randy - Parts ordered. Another $184 into this thing. :negative: There's so much more I want, but I had to stop. I sure would like the spin-on oil filter adapter and the fork brace one day.

racerrad8

Quote from: Lotsokids on July 06, 2011, 04:16:12 PM
Randy - Parts ordered. Another $184 into this thing. :negative: There's so much more I want, but I had to stop. I sure would like the spin-on oil filter adapter and the fork brace one day.

Parts are already on the way; just let me know and those other parts on your wish list can be headed to you as well.

Thank you,
              Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

srutherford

I am concerned severely on my bike burning oil on start up after it has sat for say 33 hours it smokes oil something awful then clears up also am leaking oil down the left front side of the engine any help fellas thanx.  86 fj1200 41k

srutherford

Excuse me I mean 3 hours I fat fingered the keyboard

Lotsokids

Quote from: srutherford on July 06, 2011, 11:16:28 PM
I am concerned severely on my bike burning oil on start up after it has sat for say 33 hours it smokes oil something awful then clears up also am leaking oil down the left front side of the engine any help fellas thanx.  86 fj1200 41k

Sounds to me like valve stem seals.
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Head%3AVSS&cat=39

Quote from: srutherford on July 06, 2011, 11:16:28 PM
Excuse me I mean 3 hours I fat fingered the keyboard  

Within a short time of posting, you can click "modify" to edit your original post.

srutherford

How difficult im a great parts changer can wrk my way throughout most task..motorcycle tech im not but I know one

Lotsokids

Quote from: srutherford on July 07, 2011, 07:05:32 AM
How difficult im a great parts changer can wrk my way throughout most task..motorcycle tech im not but I know one

I've never done this task myself. Anyone else experienced in this?