News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Carb Sync

Started by chapindad, June 23, 2011, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chapindad

I just saw Andy's write up on the carbs and it has embolden me to sync my carbs in a few weeks.  I am sure they need it badly.  I plan to buy the sync tool from RPM.  

First:

Can this be done just with removing the gas tank? And how do I provide gas?

Second:

I saw where the sync screws are and looks like I just need a long flat head.  Correct?

Third:

Where do I plug up the sync tool too?

Ask a side note.  When I last looked at my carbs the four screws that hold on the tops diaphragm looks like they where brass and stripped out.  Should I drill them out and replace them?

Thanks again in advance.  The next project starts.  :diablo:
1989 FJ1200
1987 Corvette

Fudge

OK I'll take a stab at this one:

First - remove the tank, but leave the hoses connected.  Rest the tank on the seat with the front facing the rear of the bike.  I lay down a cloth and make sure it's secure, but it lays there nicely for a carb sync.

Second - sync screws are clearly visible between the carbs.  I forget the order of which carb numbers to sync first, I'll let someone else chime in.

Third - there are 4 vacuum nipples facing up on the intake runners that are very obvious.  Remove them and connect the sync tool.

Side note - personally I wouldn't touch them unless I had too.  I've used small vice grips to take those screws out because the screw heads are soft.  Replace them with better quality screws if you do take them out.

Good luck.

carsick

The tank flip only seems to work on fuel pump bikes, the earlier ones had less slack in the line and the vacuum hose to the petcock would need extending. A small plastic mower tank works good, probably free at your local small engine repair shop.

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

movenon

another idea, get an old lawn mower gas tank and rig it. Don't start a fire....... Be safe
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

racerrad8

Quote from: Pat Conlon on June 23, 2011, 06:16:33 PM
They have gone up in price.  IIRC mine only cost $38-39.00:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CB350-CB400F-CX500-CB750-CBX-GL1000-AUX-FUEL-TANK-/380348212983?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash

If there is a need & interest I can add a small auxiliary tank like that to my inventory as well. I will get some prices tomorrow.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ Flyer

I picked up a Motion Pro tank a while back that works well.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

Arnie

You don't need to run the engine for 1/2 hr to sync the carbs.  I use a 60cc syringe (disposable veterinary hypodermic) with a tube on the tip (no needle) and tie it with a wire to the handlebar.  Costs maybe $3.00 at any medical or laboratory supply house.  Gives you about 5min run time at idle.

Cheers,
Arnie  (cheapskate)

Dan Filetti

Pretty sure #3 (from left to right) is the fixed plate -no adjustment.  The other three must be adjusted to it.

Cheers!

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

chapindad

Quote from: Arnie on June 24, 2011, 09:01:20 AM
You don't need to run the engine for 1/2 hr to sync the carbs.  I use a 60cc syringe (disposable veterinary hypodermic) with a tube on the tip (no needle) and tie it with a wire to the handlebar.  Costs maybe $3.00 at any medical or laboratory supply house.  Gives you about 5min run time at idle.

Cheers,
Arnie  (cheapskate)

Now that is a great idea.
1989 FJ1200
1987 Corvette

Arnie

Dan, you've been playing with those Suzooks too long :-)

On the FJ you get 1 & 2 balanced with each other, then balance 3 & 4 to each other and finally balance the 1/2 to the 3/4 sets.
There are only 3 adjusting screws.

Arnie

Quote from: Dan Filetti on June 24, 2011, 09:04:05 AM
Pretty sure #3 (from left to right) is the fixed plate -no adjustment.  The other three must be adjusted to it.

Cheers!

Dan

Kurt J

Arnie is correct.
Number 1 carb is fixed or set. The other 3 need to be set to number 1 carb.
Ca. are like chickens, put a fox in the hen house and you will have chicken dinner every time.!

Men:
We spend 9 months trying to get out, and the rest of our lives trying to get back in!

markfj

Quote from: movenon on June 23, 2011, 07:24:01 PM
another idea, get an old lawn mower gas tank and rig it. Don't start a fire....... Be safe

I use a an old tank from a weed whacker.  It's clear and easy to hang.  I also ran hose and a shutoff.  But the syringe idea is a good one.  You really don't use much fuel doing a sync.  You can get epoxy syringes just about at any hardware store for next to nothing. 
So many projects - So little time

Scooterbob

Quote from: markfj on June 24, 2011, 09:34:45 AM
Quote from: movenon on June 23, 2011, 07:24:01 PM

I use a an old tank from a weed whacker.  It's clear and easy to hang.  I also ran hose and a shutoff.  But the syringe idea is a good one.  You really don't use much fuel doing a sync.  You can get epoxy syringes just about at any hardware store for next to nothing. 

I ended up using a Dawn Dishwashing Soap bottle.  Duct taped a hanger on the outsided of it, and drilled the cap for a tight fit around the clear fuel hose.  Was cheap and on hand at the time.  Worked perfect.
Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-----Bob G.-----

weymouth399

I used a 20oz plastic coke bottle with a  80/90 cap on top, stuck right in the fuel line pin hole on the other end. Worked great.

Bob W
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale