News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

DIY Bead breaker

Started by ddlewis, June 19, 2011, 06:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddlewis

Needed to replace this tire, so instead of using my normal method (Dirt bike kickstand on the sidewall)  I made this bead breaker out of a piece of landscape timber, scrap of 4x4 post, scrap of chain and two hook bolts.  The bolts are the only parts I bought ($2) the rest was just laying around.  got the idea from some similar things I saw on the internet.  Cobbled together in about15 minutes.

The wheel shown is so wide (180 tire) and side wall so narrow I didn't want to take a chance on the dirtbike sidestand trick scarring up my rim.

It worked so easy I couldn't believe it.   Wish I had done this a long time ago.

FJmonkey

I love it! Engineering in a simple but very functional form. Kind of anti Rube Goldberg (http://www.rubegoldberg.com/), simple and to the point...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

markfj

How's Noha gonna steer the ark with the tiller missing??..  Just kidding.  Very clever idea. :good2:
So many projects - So little time

Travis398

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

FJ Flyer

A friend let me use his Motion Pro bead breaker.  Worked so well, got one myself.  $20 is pricey for a piece of plastic, but no muss no fuss.

Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

FJmonkey

Quote from: FJ Flyer on June 22, 2011, 08:43:29 PM
A friend let me use his Motion Pro bead breaker.  Worked so well, got one myself.  $20 is pricey for a piece of plastic, but no muss no fuss.

Looks like them cheep shovels my parents got me when when we went to the beach in the summer. Built sand castles and other imaginary things in the sand.....Good times...

carsick

I have one of those. Good- have not broken it with repeated hammering! Bad- haven't unseated a tire despite hammering the bejeesus out of it.

FJ Flyer

Quote from: carsick on June 22, 2011, 09:19:46 PM
I have one of those. Good- have not broken it with repeated hammering! Bad- haven't unseated a tire despite hammering the bejeesus out of it.

Seriously?  Never had a problem with half dozen plus tire changes using it.  Easy as pie.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

FJmonkey

Quote from: carsick on June 22, 2011, 09:19:46 PM
Seems like you need to use a different or perhaps a more manly hammer with it......?

carsick

Quote from: FJ Flyer on June 23, 2011, 07:48:16 PM
Seriously?  Never had a problem with half dozen plus tire changes using it.  Easy as pie.
Probably operator error. Or the ancient bias tires. I gave up and used an automotive rim clamp tire machine, no troubles.

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 23, 2011, 08:38:29 PM]
Seems like you need to use a different or perhaps a more manly hammer with it......?
Hammer? I thought you got a running start and hammered on the tire with it. Elaborate on this "manly hammer" you have...

FJmonkey

Quote from: carsick on June 23, 2011, 08:43:30 PM
Quote from: FJ Flyer on June 23, 2011, 07:48:16 PM
Probably operator error. Or the ancient bias tires. I gave up and used an automotive rim clamp tire machine, no troubles.

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 23, 2011, 08:38:29 PM]
Hammer? I thought you got a running start and hammered on the tire with it. Elaborate on this "manly hammer" you have...
My thinking of the issue of others (FJ Flyer) wailing away with little success. that maybe the hammer was too small. Not knowing what the original hammer size was I can only suggest that a larger one might do the the trick.... Perhaps he was not not holding his mouth just right....? Hammer size not being the issue.....

carsick

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 23, 2011, 09:29:04 PM
My thinking of the issue of others (FJ Flyer) wailing away with little success
Hammer size not being the issue.....

FJ Flyer whaled away WITH succes, carsick, not so much. Yeah, I've heard it's not the size of the hammer, but how you use it. Maybe I need the right boots :bomb:

FJmonkey

Quote from: carsick on June 23, 2011, 09:36:56 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on June 23, 2011, 09:29:04 PM
My thinking of the issue of others (FJ Flyer) wailing away with little success
Hammer size not being the issue.....
FJ Flyer whaled away WITH succes, carsick, not so much. Yeah, I've heard it's not the size of the hammer, but how you use it. Maybe I need the right boots :bomb:

OMFG!!! I am laughing and trying not to fall on the floor. Thanks for that moment of reality where one gets gets pulled back to a point/moment of venerability. At least my feet were warm on the cold wet rides...Short as they were....

simi_ed

As they say, "If force doesn't work, your not using enough".
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

carsick

Should I air down to make it easier?