News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Unknown Problems w/ 1985 FJ1100 - GOING TO LOOK AT ONE THAT'S FOR SALE

Started by FJ1100mjk, March 03, 2011, 09:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

Hi:

I'm new to your forum, and my name is Marty.

If it isn't gone by Saturday,  I'm going to look at a 1985 FJ1100 that has been sitting a couple of years. It doesn't have a battery, and the owner says to bring one along, which I will when I check it out.

According to him, it's in good shape for its age. It has over 23,000 miles on it.

Can you please tell me what to look for on this bike, such as problems that it had during its model year, and any upgrades that are necessary to correct the problems?

I'm aware of what problems may be associated with bikes that have been "sitting for a couple years."

Thanks in advance for your help.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

fj1289

Welcome Marty!  I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses soon.

If the bike's been sitting that long, the carbs are probably a mess!  The old gas will have evaporated and probably gummed up the idle jets.  You'll proabably have a hard time getting it cranked or getting it to idle or take throttle at low rpms.  Once you get it going though, it may run just fine at larger throttle openings. 

Would be good to get it running so you can see if it has the 2nd gear issue.  Second gear tends to round off the dogs and jump out of gear in second when you get on the throttle.  It may also want to "miss" second gear. 

Like all bikes this age, suspension is probably shot and rubber brake lines should be replaced. 

Sounds like it has the potential to be a great bike with a little TLC. 

Chris

FJ1100mjk

Chris:

Thanks for the reply. While you were replying, I was perusing posts on the forum. Seems as though the second gear problem is one to look out for. Considering that I may not be able to ride it, I don't think that there's any other way of knowing if it has this issue, besides asking the owner.

I suppose that one would have to take the engine out and split the cases to change the affect gear(s), correct?

Marty

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

VMS

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on March 03, 2011, 10:20:57 PM
Chris:

Thanks for the reply. While you were replying, I was perusing posts on the forum. Seems as though the second gear problem is one to look out for. Considering that I may not be able to ride it, I don't think that there's any other way of knowing if it has this issue, besides asking the owner.

I suppose that one would have to take the engine out and split the cases to change the affect gear(s), correct?

Marty

That is correct
Jim Bucher
VMS Motorsports
1986 FJ1200
2 FJ powered Legends cars

fj1289

Marty,

some guys have successfully "ridden around" the 2nd gear issue until they were ready to fix it on their own terms.  I wouldn't completely backball the bike based on the 2nd gear issue - especially if the plastics are in good shape and the price is right.  Ride it for a while, contemplate the typical suspension and wheel mods, and get to the engine next winter.  A good third gear kookaloo is nothing to sneeze at!

Chris

FJ1100mjk

Everyon:

Thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.

Is this 2nd gear issue a problem with a 1985, or was it fixed by the factory before this model year's release? I ask this because the posts seem to have the problem tagged as model year 1984. Such as beefier shift forks, different dogs and slots?

One last thing before I head over to look at the bike. Are there any other things that I'll need to update on this bike if I purchase it, such as charging system components, carb-stuff (emulsion tubes, diaphragms, petcock, etc?)? At what mileage do you first check and/or adjust the valves? If you can think of anything else, that'd be great.

Once again, thanks.
Marty

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

simi_ed

My '89 has the 2nd gear issue too.  It seems to be more of a generic FJ issue.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

FJmonkey

The FJ of all years is a very sturdy steed even if abused (not road kill). The FJ is like a good horse that that loves to ride. It can be rebuilt /modernized with basic mechanical knowledge (this site is a big plus on knowledge base), keeping the FJ on the road needs more love than $$$. The engine lives on with legends racers as a powerful and light weight power supply. Change the shoes (suspension and tires) and you have a great modern sport tourer. You could buy two or three other bikes to do the same or get the best Kookaloooo machine available...Can you tell I love my 86'?..... :biggrin:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

andyb

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on March 04, 2011, 01:05:23 PM

Is this 2nd gear issue a problem with a 1985, or was it fixed by the factory before this model year's release? I ask this because the posts seem to have the problem tagged as model year 1984. Such as beefier shift forks, different dogs and slots?

It's most common on the older bikes, my 90 has no issues at all in second.  Most yamaha's of the era had problems with it.  The shift forks changed significantly in 91 (much bigger and stronger, and they interchange with the old ones).

Flying Scotsman

If your going to look at it Saturday I hope it passes inspection.I bought mine with a bad trans and drove it a few months before fixing it.
The 85 FJ is a head turner well worth fixing 2nd gear if its bad just adjust the price to suit.yesterday I took mine to lunch at Arbys and was complimented on my bike 3 times by people I dont know,once on the way in by a ex FJ600 owner once on the way in and again inside.The guy going in droped his jaw when I told him it was more than 25 years old.Great old bike that is quite inexpensive you know you want one  :good2:
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

Travis398

Welcome to the group Marty,

Looks like you found a great ride, Good luck with the purchase.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

FJ1100mjk

Hey:

All right, enough is enough. I'm convinced of what I have my hands on now. I will stop by and first, try to get the '85 for less $, but will be prepared give him the $500.

It may take a week to get it home from his place, but I will post some pics of it, and give another report about the condition of it.

Thanks to everyone for all of your feedback.

Marty

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com