News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Engine starts and runs fine but......

Started by JohnW, January 23, 2011, 11:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

The engine on my 87 FJ cranks and starts without the clutch being pulled in if the transmission is in gear (it's not supposed to do this) and will stay running in gear if the kick stand is put down (it's not supposed to do this either).
Also, the fuel tap solenoid doesn't do anything when I switch to reserve even though the solenoid itself works when I put voltage to it. The switch itself checks out OK too. 

andyb

Sounds like someone bypassed the clutch and sidestand switches, most likely.  You'll have to start tracing to see why.

Dan Filetti

This by-passed safety feature saved my ass.  Here's how: 

So I was loading the FJ onto the back of my pickup truck.  I had two ramps made from 2X10X8 that I had screwed together to make a 20" wide ramp, 8' long.  I parked the pickup facing down hill to aid as much as I could, loading the bike into the bed of the truck.  Ramps in place, I started the FJ, and without letting it warm up, began to ride the FJ up the ramps and into the back of the truck.  Just as the front wheel crested the ramps and into the back of the truck, I managed to stall the bike.  To make matters worse the ramps had slipped back a bit from the edge of the tailgate, and were threatening to come off.  I was stuck. 

Going back down did not seem like a safe option, the ramps all of the sudden, seemed too narrow.  The ramps were also not wide enough to get off and push, and although I probably could have re-started the FJ, the folly of not letting it warm-up was now obvious to me.  Thinking I needed to do something, I tried to start it anyway, but in my nervousness, I neglected to pull in the clutch.  The starter motor engaged and began inching the bike up the ramp the remainder of the way.  To my great relief, without starting the bike, the starter managed to get me up the rest of the way in a slow, controlled manner, without having to use the raucousness of a cold motor to finish the delicate job.  The ramps were ~ .5" from the edge of the gate and nearly came off.  Had I used the cold motor to finish the job, I think they would have pushed off the remaining bit.  Net net, the whole thing could have been MUCH worse, and I was glad it went the way it did.

In my case, it was good to have the safety feature not working at that time.  Funny thing is, I had always used the clutch to start it, and did not realize that it was even 'broken' until that moment...   

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

rktmanfj

Quote from: Dan Filetti on January 24, 2011, 09:43:33 AM

So I was loading the FJ onto the back of my pickup truck.  I had two ramps made from 2X10X8 that I had screwed together to make a 20" wide ramp, 8' long.  I parked the pickup facing down hill to aid as much as I could, loading the bike into the bed of the truck.  Ramps in place, I started the FJ, and without letting it warm up, began to ride the FJ up the ramps and into the back of the truck.  Just as the front wheel crested the ramps and into the back of the truck, I managed to stall the bike.  To make matters worse the ramps had slipped back a bit from the edge of the tailgate, and were threatening to come off.  I was stuck. 

Going back down did not seem like a safe option, the ramps all of the sudden, seemed too narrow.  The ramps were also not wide enough to get off and push, and although I probably could have re-started the FJ, the folly of not letting it warm-up was now obvious to me.  Thinking I needed to do something, I tried to start it anyway, but in my nervousness, I neglected to pull in the clutch.  The starter motor engaged and began inching the bike up the ramp the remainder of the way.  To my great relief, without starting the bike, the starter managed to get me up the rest of the way in a slow, controlled manner, without having to use the raucousness of a cold motor to finish the delicate job.  The ramps were ~ .5" from the edge of the gate and nearly came off.  Had I used the cold motor to finish the job, I think they would have pushed off the remaining bit.  Net net, the whole thing could have been MUCH worse, and I was glad it went the way it did.

In my case, it was good to have the safety feature not working at that time.  Funny thing is, I had always used the clutch to start it, and did not realize that it was even 'broken' until that moment...   

Dan

Of course, 2 2x10s don't really make a 20" ramp...     :nea:

Randy T
Indy

JohnW

Quote from: JohnW on January 23, 2011, 11:48:42 PM
The engine on my 87 FJ cranks and starts without the clutch being pulled in if the transmission is in gear (it's not supposed to do this) and will stay running in gear if the kick stand is put down (it's not supposed to do this either).
Also, the fuel tap solenoid doesn't do anything when I switch to reserve even though the solenoid itself works when I put voltage to it. The switch itself checks out OK too. 

I've had the bike since 1989. No one has ever worked on the bike but me and I didn't by-pass the safety features, they simply quit working. As did the fuel solenoid. 

Dan Filetti

Quote from: rktmanfj on January 24, 2011, 09:58:33 AM
Of course, 2 2x10s don't really make a 20" ramp...     :nea:

Randy T
Indy

Yeah, right. That's actually 19"....

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

andyb

Well, then something isn't working right, and you're going to have to start tracing to find the issue anyhow.  Start at the switches and see if they function, and work your way up.  Isn't really hard, just need some common sense, a mild electrical background, and a decent meter.

Marsh White

Depends on if you are using finished or rough-cut lumber.  Rough-cut is actually the dimensions specified - the grain would give better traction too...

simi_ed

I was thinking ... "Lucky Dan", but then I remembered the FJ BBQ.  I guess those 2x10s just extended the FJs lifeline a bit longer.   :drinks:
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

ddlewis

Quote from: Dan Filetti on January 24, 2011, 09:43:33 AM

Dan

In the 90's I had an XS11 and can't remember but either it did not have the kickstand safety or it was disabled..  Always put in neutral before I turn it off.  when starting it usually press the button while standing next to it.  Every once in a while I would park on a hill and leave it in gear or accidentally not put in neutral and press the button and it would take off and I'd have to make a saving grab lunge for it.. then look around to see if anybody was looking.  :) 

Bike never hit the ground but there were close calls.  My helmet when boucing off across the parking lot several times though. 

SkyFive

Not to hijack the discussion but, Dan your story reminded me of this video;

Motorcycle Loading Fail

craigo

CraigO
90FJ1200

Dan Filetti

Quote from: simi_ed on January 24, 2011, 12:52:52 PM
I was thinking ... "Lucky Dan", but then I remembered the FJ BBQ.  I guess those 2x10s just extended the FJs lifeline a bit longer.   :drinks:

And me without my marshmellos...
Live hardy, or go home. 

gp1

hi johnw
i would say your control diode in the diode block for the clutch and side stand has failed,
as the fuel solenoid is also powered up via the side stand relay to the relay unit then to the the solenoid.
i had the same problem on my bike where the clutch safety was no working and would start in gear.

hopes this helps
gp1
84 fj 1100
91 yx 600 radian

carsick

Quote from: SkyFive on January 24, 2011, 03:25:04 PM
Not to hijack the discussion but, Dan your story reminded me of this video;

Motorcycle Loading Fail
Ouch indeed. Those moving trucks have a label inside to specifically prohibit motor vehicles or anything with fuel. See, he didn't read the intructions. I noticed that sticker after loading an MG and an ultralight plane in a Penske truck. Too bad a few bystanders couldn't help push, eh? Always trouble when a camera is rolling.