News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Suspension Setup

Started by Perez, October 13, 2010, 08:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perez

I have a 1987 FJ1200 (The last of the red/white ones)
What is the correct suspension setup?
I see millions of adjustments, and even with an owner's manual I'd probably only be half way there.
The anti-dive thing on the front doesn't seem to do much if anything at all.
Tire selection, unless you switch to different rims, is next to nothing.
In fact, most of the tires availible seem so-so at best in terms of their performance.
While I am at it, are there any suspension mods that have alot of bang for the buck?
It is a big bike and it kind of handles like the queen mary, I'd like it to be a bit more responsive.
I tried to search for similar posts but found nothing.

Fred

Check the files/mods section. There are many mods that can be done. From springs and emulators to yzf or gsxr wheels to swapping entire suspension from a fz1 or a thunderace.

Perez

How about a comment on the 'bang for the buck' factor?
There is one side of me that says if a bike can't do it in its stock form, just sell it and buy something that handles better or is faster.
The other side of me says to hell with it, go for it, make it work nice or better than it did.....like a new 'resto-mod' style car of today.
A heavily modified bike or car is never worth much at resale. Box stock always most desirable to a buyer.
Are most of these mods un-boltable so the bike can be put back to stock?

rktmanfj

Quote from: Perez on October 13, 2010, 09:25:59 AM
A heavily modified bike or car is never worth much at resale. Box stock always most desirable to a buyer.
Are most of these mods un-boltable so the bike can be put back to stock?

Who gives a rip?

FJs are keepers...                :good2:

Randy T
Indy

Fred

Hmmm..... bang for the buck, that's going to be different for everyone. Everyone has different idea of what a good handling bike is and what they are willing to pay for it. The first question is will you be doing the work yourself and do you enjoy doing it. That will be the biggest cash saver. Next would be is your suspension up to snuff now. Has the fork oil been changed? Is the shock shagged? If you don't know you need to find out. Some maintenance maybe all you need to find the improvement your looking for, there are plenty of folks out there who satisfied with the stock set up. There's a good chance you will want to at least want to replace the fork springs they were a bit weak when new and after 24 years they aren't any stronger. Judging from your post you will still want more. The next level would be to get some '88 or newer fork lowers, later FJ front wheel or '87 or '88 FZR front wheel, blue spot calipers, FJR or FZ1 master cylinder.  Out back a GSXR or YZF 600 rear wheel. This would get you better tire selection and much better brakes. This is what I'm running and the difference was night and day. The other mods are more involved and require you to have more skill or friends with the skill who will work for beer, but you would gain cartridge forks and more modern shock linkage and most can be undone should you wish to return the bike to stock.
In the end the cost will be determined by how patient you are and how good a scrounge you are. It took me over a year but I got my wheels brakes and fork for under 400 dollars.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Fred on October 13, 2010, 10:38:51 AM
Hmmm..... bang for the buck,
Good post Fred. I have an 86' that is very nearly stock. I have changed to the spin-on oil filter adapter and HID headlamp. I am hooked and will keep the bike and make the upgrades that make me happy. I pulled the trigger and now have a GSXR rear wheel but need a few more parts to bolt it on. My rear shock is shot and pogos around in the corners. I thought it was not that bad till I was ridding behind Mike in the SoCal mini rally last weekend and saw him bouncing around on his stock shock. It's a small wonder that I don't just drive off the cliffs from failing to keep a line in a corner (but it keeps my pace around corners sane) . My front is soft like meted butter and makes me really pay attention in the corners. 89' forks (with emulators) and an 87 FZR front wheel is next for me. If your FJ feels like it really fits you but you need a more modern feel or sporty ride then upgrade it. The motor and transmission are bullet proof (except the second gear issue, once fixed that is bullet proof as well), very strong and dependable bike. The upgrades can be done over time if on a budget or quickly if cash is plentiful. You have a enormous wealth of knowledge at your finger tips with this group to fix or upgrade nearly any part of your bike. Let the Kookaloo take you where you want to go.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side