News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Starter problems

Started by mijohnso, September 23, 2010, 11:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mijohnso

I have been having starting related issues which I believe I have narrowed down to the starter. The bike usually starts great when cold, but the starter struggles when the bike is hot, turning over slowly several times before firing up. It has gotten progressively worse over the past few weeks, and I am afraid I'll get stranded somewhere if I don't address it.  I have verified that the battery is charging using a multimeter, and I tried jumping the bike with my car, which did not help the bike start any better. I checked the connections at the battery as well. So I have two questions:

1) Is there an easy way to check that this is not a cable corrosion issue? (the cables look clean, no corrosion near battery...)
2) How do you get the starter out? Do i have to take of the air filter housing? Is there some trick to this?

Thanks!
Mike
'86 FJ1200

andyb

First, ask yourself how old the battery is.  Slow cranking when hot isn't uncommon.... but if it's cranking slow off a car battery also, then you're right in looking elsewhere for the problem.

Next, get it hot, and try cracking the throttle open just a pinch while cranking.  Should help slightly, but is it enough to get by with?

To pull the starter you'll have to get access, it's just behind and below the carbs, under a rubber bib thing.  Airbox will be in the way, carbs will almost be in the way.  Not hard to remove, disassemble, clean and reinstall.

To look for corrosion, honestly there isn't much to go wrong there.  Positive side of the battery, two connections on the solenoid, and the big connection on the side (top as installed) of the starter itself.  The ground portion is negative connection at battery down to back side of crankcases, and then the starter grounds when mounted.  Parallel the meter to the runs and see what kind of resistance you're getting, should be little to none.

Bigger pain in the butt getting access to the thing than actually pulling it out, really.

SlowOldGuy

Remove the alternator and you will have ample access to remove the starter.  Might also need to unbolt the slave cylinder.

I don't recall the airbox or carbs being in the way. 

DavidR.

RichBaker

Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

andyb

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on September 23, 2010, 06:24:11 PM
Remove the alternator and you will have ample access to remove the starter.  Might also need to unbolt the slave cylinder.

I don't recall the airbox or carbs being in the way. 

Last time I did it, I did it from the top.  Didn't know you could do it from the side.

mijohnso

Ended up getting at it from the side, much easier method. I took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, now it starts great. Now I just have to deal with my tachometer problem... Do you have to take the fairing off to get to the instrument display?
'86 FJ1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: mijohnso on October 04, 2010, 05:04:19 PM
Ended up getting at it from the side, much easier method. I took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, now it starts great. Now I just have to deal with my tachometer problem... Do you have to take the fairing off to get to the instrument display?
Yes.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

SlowOldGuy

Depends on the year.  On my '85, the whole fairing has to come off. 
On my '93, I can pull the instruments without removing the fairing.   I think I only have to remove the windscreen, and maybe the side grids around the tank.  It's been a while, but I definitely didn't have to remove the main fairing.

DavidR.

Pat Conlon

Off topic, yet related, sorry Mike.

A question for Randy; IIRC in the past, you mentioned that the new generation XJ1300 starter is a upgrade to our FJ starters. Something about a improved design?

If true, will the XJ starter fit all years of FJ motors? Specifically my early '84 motor?

TIA   Pat

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

racerrad8

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 07, 2010, 05:44:23 PM
Off topic, yet related, sorry Mike.

A question for Randy; IIRC in the past, you mentioned that the new generation XJ1300 starter is a upgrade to our FJ starters. Something about a improved design?

If true, will the XJ starter fit all years of FJ motors? Specifically my early '84 motor?

TIA   Pat

Yep, they have a different magnet system and do not have slow cranking issues. They are all the same and the price of the ones on eBay are not anything close to what I can get them for; I buy them off eBay. I think the cheapest I have seen and they were in So-Cal was $76.00 a couple of months ago.

Put a new one on the wife's bike last week before the ride; No more cracking the throttle to get it started when warm...
Randy - RPM