News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Front Fork Rebuild - WANTED - ASSISTANCE IN HOUSTON!

Started by Scooterbob, August 04, 2010, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterbob

Quote from: carsick on August 21, 2010, 10:45:13 PM
Oh Bob.
What. The. Fuck? Turn those wasted pipes around and we'll call you ChopperBob. So, was steering response sharp with your front wheel touching the header? This didn't look a little odd? Your secret penchant for stoppies on the FJ finally bit you in the ass, eh? Sorry to admonish you so sternly but even I'm not that foolhardy (or cheap, don't forget cheap!) DO NOT RIDE THAT! If my 84 tubes won't work I'm sure some saintly member will step up.
Doug

Should have noticed the bend before I purchased the bike.  :hang1: I figure that if I turn both bends towards one side or the other I bet I could corner lika muthurfuker in one direction!
Anyone able to make the call if the tubes will work?  Part numbers match on the fiche, but still not sure. 
Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-----Bob G.-----

SkyFive

There is a pair of forks on eBay that I have been watching (but don't need) for $45.80 including shipping. It's a "Buy It Now" auction so you could probably have them in your hands in a matter of three or four four to ten days. They are for a 1985 FJ though so check to see if you can interchange them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250680931965&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Scooterbob

Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-----Bob G.-----

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Scooterbob on August 22, 2010, 09:11:03 AM
Anyone know if tubes from a 1984 will fit?

Both bikes use the same part numbers for the inner fork tubes...3CV-23110-00-00

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

ddlewis

Quote from: Scooterbob on August 21, 2010, 08:10:05 PM
-Now the worst news.....BOTH of the front tubes are bent! 

Wow, that's a pretty good bend.. take a pretty good shot to do that.  I'd look close at the triple clamps too.  Of course if the bend is uniform it may be hard to tell unless you have a good one to compare to.

Scooterbob

Checked the rest as much as possible and it all looks good. The previous owner either replaced the obvious damage or it was never damaged. Only other clue I had when I bought it was a warped front rotor, which may have been from some sort of impact. Hard telling.

-----Bob G.-----

Mark Olson

wow  :shok:

those are some  bent forks.

the result of running into a car bumper. :unknown:

it is a sign to install usd forks or upgrade to something better.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

carsick

Quote from: SkyFive on August 22, 2010, 12:39:04 AM
There is a pair of forks on eBay that I have been watching (but don't need) for $45.80 including shipping. It's a "Buy It Now" auction so you could probably have them in your hands in a matter of three or four four to ten days. They are for a 1985 FJ though so check to see if you can interchange them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250680931965&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Bob, just buy these, they look nicer than mine, maybe they'll sell you faster shipping. I don't have the time to pull mine apart or ship them right now!

Yamifj1200

Quote from: carsick on August 22, 2010, 08:44:42 PM
Quote from: SkyFive on August 22, 2010, 12:39:04 AM

Bob, just buy these, they look nicer than mine, maybe they'll sell you faster shipping. I don't have the time to pull mine apart or ship them right now!

One things for sure you most likely wont find a better deal than that..

Eric M

Scooterbob

Great deal indeed. Unfortunately I cannot move on them until Wednesday at the earliest. What are the odds they will still be there?......,,.

-----Bob G.-----

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Scooterbob on August 22, 2010, 09:28:59 PM
Great deal indeed. Unfortunately I cannot move on them until Wednesday at the earliest. What are the odds they will still be there?......,,.

I'd say slim and none... Buy them now and pay wednesday thats what I'd do. Hell at that price they are damn near giving them away. You know what the inner tubes cost new.... Thats a hell of a deal for you...

Eric M

carsick

What Eric said. Then sell your surplus anti-dive units to some poor bastard worse off than you.

Scooterbob

Swiped money from wifes' stash.  (she gonna be mad, but she'll get over it  :ireful:)  Purchased the deal that SkyFive pointed out and they are on the way.  Thanks SkyFive and everyone else that helped me located and gather the needed information.  This forum in priceless!   :drinks:

-----Bob G.-----

Scooterbob

Update:(after a friendly reminder that I forgot to)
Got straight tubes installed with new seals, bushings, oil and upgraded springs. It feels like a totally different bike! No more stuttering on quick stops and my front wheel doesn't wobble anymore. (properly aligned now)

Much thanks to all who contributed knowledge, parts, and strong warnings not to ride with compromised parts, especially Carsick and SkyFive.  :drinks:

-----Bob G.-----

racerman_27410

welcome back to a properly handling motorcycle.... she thanks you!

KOokaloo!