News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Front Fork Rebuild - WANTED - ASSISTANCE IN HOUSTON!

Started by Scooterbob, August 04, 2010, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterbob

Ok....Got most of it torn down at the moment. I am unable to get the two pieces apart that require more than one person. (loosening the top with special socket and the bottom with the 10mm Allen socket.) I guess that's why "it takes two people".  :dash2:  Problem is I'm alone. My wife is not very strong and my favorite useful neighbor is out until later. Any other methods?  Or shall I continue my hunt for "someone with a strong back and a weak mind"?
Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-----Bob G.-----

Arnie

Scooter,

Last time I took my forks apart, I had no helper either.  Just put your 27mm hex with the extentions into a vise to hold the damper rod, and use your 10mm hex key on the bottom.
It is much easier if you use a 'rattle' gun, but you can do it with a normal allen key held by a pair of vise-grips or channel lock for increased leverage.  Its actually the next step thats hard.  Pulling the tube out of the stantion requires that you slide it HARD to get it out.

Cheers,
Arnie

markmartin

Maybe a 2' -3' length of pipe over the handle of the top wrench---thus making the wrench handle longer?  This should provide more leverage for the person holding the top wrench .

Mark Olson

Put it back in the triple tree so you can loosen the allen bolt in the bottom.

this also helps when you have to pull the tubes apart later. this way you don't crush the tube in a vice or send your helper flying across the floor.

make sure you have jack stands secure under the bike.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Scooterbob

Tubes are still in triple tree. Bike on stands securely. Just don't have enough man-power to do it by myself. Stuck until neighbor gets home.  :mad:
Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-----Bob G.-----

Mark Olson

just let the forks and triples rotate to the stop(like turning right) and loosen the allen.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

RichBaker

Quote from: Arnie on August 21, 2010, 10:26:37 AM
Scooter,

Last time I took my forks apart, I had no helper either.  Just put your 27mm hex with the extentions into a vise to hold the damper rod, and use your 10mm hex key on the bottom.
It is much easier if you use a 'rattle' gun, but you can do it with a normal allen key held by a pair of vise-grips or channel lock for increased leverage.  Its actually the next step thats hard.  Pulling the tube out of the stantion requires that you slide it HARD to get it out.

Cheers,
Arnie

And make sure you remove the spring clip that retains the seal FIRST...... DAMHIK  :dash1:
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

Scooterbob

Most of the way done, but hardly any of this job was good news.....
-Did not heed the "remove spring clip" advice soon enough on the first tube.  I think I got it straightened out enough that it will hold the new seal though.
-The left fork did not have the "D" rod in the correct hole, but that is also fixed now.
-Now the worst news.....BOTH of the front tubes are bent!  I had no choice but to put it all back together, since I must have my daily driver.  It just chaps my ass that it will all be for nothing (except practice) until I get new tubes.  Right now it is all assembled with the bad tubes, but I haven't gotten to the test drive part yet, as it's too damn hot to finish today in this 100 degree Texas heat.

Anyone got a connection on some tubes for my '89?  And a spring clip?

-----Bob G.-----

Yamifj1200

Bob,    DON'T use those bent tubes. They will not work being bent and will be VERY DANGEROUS to ride on. Find another way to get around, this very well may get you killed if you try to ride it that way. No kidding here.....

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Scooterbob

I'm not trying to be ignorant, so please excuse my questions if they sound rude.
Why is that so dangerous? I understand that they are bad, but what makes it so dangerous?  After all, I've been driving them like that unknowingly for about 8 months now. A leak two weeks ago was the only indication of anything wrong. I have no choice but to use them until I can perform a miracle.

-----Bob G.-----

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Scooterbob on August 21, 2010, 09:04:17 PM
I'm not trying to be ignorant, so please excuse my questions if they sound rude.
Why is that so dangerous? I understand that they are bad, but what makes it so dangerous?  After all, I've been driving them like that unknowingly for about 8 months now. A leak two weeks ago was the only indication of anything wrong. I have no choice but to use them until I can perform a miracle.

Have you been riding the bike with the front frok tubes bent like they are in the photo you posted??

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Scooterbob

-----Bob G.-----

Dan Filetti

Wow, how the hell do you bend a fork tube like that without being in a pretty serious accident?  Seems to me that such an accident would otherwise be fairly obvious elsewhere on the bike, no?

Is there any other way to do it?  Could a really hard wheelie landing do that kind of damage?

Dan

Live hardy, or go home. 

Scooterbob

Previous owner. I shoulda looked closer before the purchase. No idea what that idiot did.

-----Bob G.-----

carsick

Oh Bob.
What. The. Fuck? Turn those wasted pipes around and we'll call you ChopperBob. So, was steering response sharp with your front wheel touching the header? This didn't look a little odd? Your secret penchant for stoppies on the FJ finally bit you in the ass, eh? Sorry to admonish you so sternly but even I'm not that foolhardy (or cheap, don't forget cheap!) DO NOT RIDE THAT! If my 84 tubes won't work I'm sure some saintly member will step up.
Doug