News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

idling issues

Started by bigguy1, July 18, 2010, 06:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigguy1

Hello everyone,

I have an 86 FJ1200 which is new to me. I am having a problem with idling. It seems to be inconsistant. When I start it up and it gets warm it will idle around .5 or lower. Sometimes it will stall. The idle will stay at this rpm until after about an hour of riding. It then goes up to 1.5 I have adjusted the idle several times and always try to get it between 1 and 1.5. No matter what I set it at the bike always runs real low for the first hour.
I'm not sure if temperature has anything to do with it as It is pretty hot in my neck of the woods right now. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S the carbs were cleaned when I bought the bike. Plugs, air filter are both new.

racerman_27410

check and make sure the choke cable is letting the choke linkage fully close.

Kookaloo!

Frank

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: bigguy1 on July 18, 2010, 06:20:16 PM
P.S the carbs were cleaned when I bought the bike. Plugs, air filter are both new.

Did you clean them or did the previous owner tell you they were cleaned before he sold it to you?

I've seen that used to close the deal several times.  "Oh yeah, the carbs were just cleaned."

Usually they weren't.

DavidR.

bigguy1

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on July 19, 2010, 05:19:43 PM
Quote from: bigguy1 on July 18, 2010, 06:20:16 PM

Did you clean them or did the previous owner tell you they were cleaned before he sold it to you?

I've seen that used to close the deal several times.  "Oh yeah, the carbs were just cleaned."

Usually they weren't.

DavidR.

I had them cleaned and sync'd when I bought the bike. Going to lube up the choke cable as much as I can and see if that helps.

fj1250

do a compression check FIRST! Quite common for these engines to have tight or worn valves.
If there just tight, The bike tends to not want to idle when cold, then over-revs when hot.
Check the vavle clearances cold. If the valves have been tight, set them to .006" intake and .008" exhaust. go out and put the bike under a good load with high RPM's
Then re-check your idle. If it continues to not idle cold and over-rev hot, the valves need replacing and the seats resurfaced.

MC

PS: Of course check your carb synch, mixture screw setting... before you pull the head to be certain of the valve leakage.  A leakdown test is the definitive test.