News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ1200 1992 revival

Started by smackeyacky, October 08, 2024, 04:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smackeyacky

I bought this bike a couple of months ago - I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I have a mate who knows a few things.  Bike was a non-runner - it did start (kind of) with copious amounts of starter fluid but the carbs were clearly gunked up.  Down here in Australia we have a cheap ethanol enhanced fuel called E10 and I won't use it in my lawn mower, but the previous owner left this bike filled with that horrible rubbish, it evaporated and clogged up the carbs.  I'd guess the bike has been sitting for 2+ years.

When I put some fuel in it and tried to start it in my shed, it leaked fuel all over me, the floor, everything.  Not a great start.

Other issues:  no clutch, no front brakes (well, they did engage but right at the bottom of the lever travel).

So far:

Bled the clutch.  Took me a while to work up the courage to pop the banjo fitting but all the air was trapped up there.  Clutch feels good after bleeding.

Bled the front brakes.  Bit of a worrying amount of crud came out, but I changed the fluid completely.  Lever still didn't excite me so I left it half engaged with one of the carb air filter clamps and it's good now, nice and firm.

Cleaned out the carbs.  So much green varnish.  The emulsion tubes were clogged but did eventually come clean after soaking for a few days in lacquer thinners.  Bought some kits and replaced the needles, seats, idle and main jets.  Once re-installed the bike ran like garbage until I worked out I had forgotten to tighten the clamps on the intake rubbers.  It still idles low.

Does seem to be a bit of oil floating around in it, will change the oil as it stinks of unburnt fuel and sitting around.

Left to do:  I think the fork seals are a bit tired, they leave a slight high-tide mark on the shiny bit of the forks.  My buddy says he can help with that.

I also am not legally allowed to ride it since I only got my learners permit a couple of months ago.  Even on the "provisional" license here you're restricted to smaller bikes.

I can't wait to get on it.  I have a few pictures in my den of iconic things from that period and the FJ1200 is right next to a picture of a Concorde.  It's only been 30+ years but I'll finally ride one.