News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Will modern sportbike engine fit in my 86 FJ1200 for street fighter?

Started by 86FJNJ, September 21, 2024, 03:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86FJNJ

Having difficulty finding a replacement FJ1200 engine that is confirmed to be running well. Is it possible for me to put a modern sport bike engine in this and turn it into a street fighter? I would prefer to leave the bike as stock but if I can't find a replacement FJ1200 engine my only option is to sell as a project bike, part it out, or try to find an alternative engine.

Pat Conlon

I saw your bike for sale.
 If it has a "blown head" why not just replace the head and, if needed, rebuild the engine?

Assuming motor mounts could be worked out, modern sport bike engines are water cooled.
I would worry that there is no clearance on the FJ frame to fit a radiator without contact from the front tire.

Seems like an exercise in futility to me when a simpler solution is readily available.

Cheers
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj1289

I too think you are best off working with what you have. 

Looks like very nice condition - all plastics, etc.   

These engines are easy to work on and parts are readily available.  If that is something you do not want to do yourself, crate it up and send it to RPM.  They can do anything from the minimal repair to a full blown engine build or anything in between.   

fj1289

Any more details on the assessment of a blown head?

The picture of the "blown head" looks to be a valve cover seals leak to me?

Also, if the engine hasn't been running for a while - it will need the carbs cleaned.  This you can also do yourself, but you have to be extremely thorough and diligent about it.   The idle passages are very small and can be difficult to get clean.   

Personally I think you are a lot closer than you think to having a nice running beautiful FJ

86FJNJ

Quote from: Pat Conlon on September 22, 2024, 10:29:43 AMI saw your bike for sale.
 If it has a "blown head" why not just replace the head and, if needed, rebuild the engine?

Assuming motor mounts could be worked out, modern sport bike engines are water cooled.
I would worry that there is no clearance on the FJ frame to fit a radiator without contact from the front tire.

Seems like an exercise in futility to me when a simpler solution is readily available.

Cheers
There are two holes through the head between cylinders 2 & 3. I've not opened up the engine but I imagine there must be major internal damage. I would like to keep it with an FJ1200 engine but having difficulty finding a reliable replacement at a decent price, so though maybe an FZ engine might fit. I'm not looking to Frankenstein it just curious what options are. Thanks for reply.

86FJNJ

Quote from: fj1289 on September 22, 2024, 10:54:25 AMI too think you are best off working with what you have. 

Looks like very nice condition - all plastics, etc.   

These engines are easy to work on and parts are readily available.  If that is something you do not want to do yourself, crate it up and send it to RPM.  They can do anything from the minimal repair to a full blown engine build or anything in between.   
Can you send me the RPM info? There are a lot of engine builders with that name so I would like to confirm which one you are referring to. Thanks.

86FJNJ

Quote from: fj1289 on September 22, 2024, 11:02:28 AMAny more details on the assessment of a blown head?

The picture of the "blown head" looks to be a valve cover seals leak to me?

Also, if the engine hasn't been running for a while - it will need the carbs cleaned.  This you can also do yourself, but you have to be extremely thorough and diligent about it.   The idle passages are very small and can be difficult to get clean.   

Personally I think you are a lot closer than you think to having a nice running beautiful FJ
I have photos of the blown holes in the head, not sure how to attach them here but I could email them. Yes carb and brakes and clutch would need rebuild kits but I can do that and would be happy to do that if I could get it running first, just wondering what my options are. It's a nice bike so would hate to part it out, really just want to keep it as a Sunday rider.

gdfj12

RPM Racing in California. They run this site, and do a little advertising here too.

www.rpmracingca.com
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project

86FJNJ

fj1289

George beat me to the website!

I'm 99% sure those holes are supposed to be there - I think they are cast in drain holes.

Took some pics of the head on my bike project.  The first pic shows the hole better, the second trying to point out the location with a test probe.

You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.

Going forward I would suggest:
1. Remove the spark plugs
2. Remove the left engine cover and try to turn the engine over with a wrench (14mm if I remember correctly)
3. If the engine is free - try cranking it over with the starter. 
4. Check compression - simply with a finger over the spark plug hole or with a pressure gauge. 
5. Get the carbs cleaned and enjoy a nice FJ!

racerrad8

The exhaust side of the head has factory drain holes to drain the water from the center of the head.

Photo is not the best and not sure which side of the head the picture is taken.

If the exhaust side, there is probably nothing wrong with the head.

Randy - RPM

Edit- Chris beat me too it...

Thanks Chris.
Randy - RPM

86FJNJ

Quote from: racerrad8 on September 22, 2024, 08:50:10 PMThe exhaust side of the head has factory drain holes to drain the water from the center of the head.

Randy - RPM

Thanks Chris.
I will post a few more pictures see below comment. If these are drain holes then I will be so happy you have no idea!

86FJNJ

Quote from: racerrad8 on September 22, 2024, 08:50:10 PMThe exhaust side of the head has factory drain holes to drain the water from the center of the head.

Randy - RPM

Thanks Chris.
yes they are on the exhaust side