News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

91 motor in an 84 frame

Started by Troyskie, September 20, 2024, 11:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troyskie

G'day legends, has anyone ever put a 91 or later motor into an 84 frame? Can it be done?
Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do another lap of Oz

After all is said and done, more is said than done :)

T Legg

Im putting an xjr1250 engine in one of my 84's. I have the engine mounted in the frame. The mounting of the xjr engine is the same as the newer FJ engine's I'm pretty sure . The problem is the lower rear engine mount is different. The engine castings seem the same but the bottom rear mount has a small 1/2" or so hole drilled into it. I drilled that hole out to the larger size to fit the old style engine mounting bushing. the other engine mount holes are the same.
  You can then mount it the same as the old style engines.
 If you wanted the new style mounting for less vibration that would take modifying the frame .
 Here are some pictures of the lower bottom mount.
T Legg

T Legg

I tried to get a machine shop to drill out the holes but none would do the work due to their insurance not covering work done on any motor vehicle.
 I ended up using a hand held drill with a drill bit set that stepped up 1/16" each bit. The hole needed to be 28mm but after using a slightly smaller 1-1/16" bit the hole was just the right size so I never used my 28mm bit.
   It was a pretty nerve wracking operation with my $3,000.00 motor at risk of being ruined but with patience ,plenty of oil a steady hand and drill speed it came out pretty good. The shavings filled half a sandwich bag.
T Legg

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do another lap of Oz

After all is said and done, more is said than done :)