News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Resurrecting my dad's 3CV

Started by orc4n, August 03, 2024, 02:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orc4n

Hallo from Germany,

About a month ago at a wedding, my dad and another guest talked about motorcycling, re-igniting my wish to start cycling myself. I've always wanted to get a better technical understanding of the inner working of bikes, so fixing up my dad's 1989 3CV was the perfect opportunity to get a bike, and get working :D

The last time he rode it was 1997 - it's been sitting in a garage since then.
You cannot view this attachment.

Here's a picture of how it looked when my dad was on vacation, when the bike was still - running about 30 years ago:

Last week I took off the tarp and cleaned out the garage, allowing me a first visual inspection:

Overall it seems like the fairing and dash are in pretty good shape, and most of the engine block paint is also still present. Obviously I gotta do all of the maintenance a bike needs after all of these years - replacing all fluids and fuel/hydraulic lines, replacing seals where needed, clean the carbs, replace battery and bulbs, ... Hopefully I don't need to open up the engine block and transmission.
 However, there were mice in the rear section under the seat, and there's a few sketchy spots around the bike I'm not too sure about - the white spots might either be battery acid or mice pee. What I'm more worried about is the (potential) leak near the transmission. Again, might just be scratches from the mice, but input would be appreciated :)

Tomorrow I'll roll the bike to the garage at my house so I can work on it properly (thankfully the tyres still hold pressure), but I already have two points where I'd like some input on:

• The fuel cap doesn't open, I can only turn the key approx. 30 degrees. I already tried oiling the cylinder, but that didn't seem to do the trick...
  • Should I replace the oil before trying to start the engine; or repair it, start then engine, and then change the oil when warm? Either way, I probably need to the change the oil again after a few hundred kilometers to get all of the smut out of the system.

Either way, I'm glad this forum exists, and thanks for reading :)

(old first aid kit I found in the bike)
Newbie trying to restore his dad's bike

Millietant

That looks like a great bike to be working on, congratulations.

Regarding couple of your questions, the "Oil leak" Of actually the clutch slave cylinder seals leaking - a common enough issue and one easily tackled at minimal cost.

Definitely change the oil and cooler before you start the engine - you can check them both for debris before turning the engine over.

As well as a thorough carb cleaning, with new seals and o-rings, in addition to all the things you have mentioned, you're going to want to put new tyres on before riding it, and I'd put new brake pads in it too.

Hope it all goes well and keep us updated on progress - and any issues you come across...

Best of luck from the UK.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Millietant

Sorry for the "auto text" typing error - change the oil and FILTER, not the "cooler"
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Pat Conlon

Yes, change oil, filter, brake, clutch fluids. Get and install a clutch slave seal kit. Get a clutch master, front brake master and rear brake master seal kits....You may or may not need them (but probably will)
 Remove the fuel tank, clean (and seal if needed) Replace the fuel lines and fuel filter.
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3A1FK-24560-10
Replace the oem rubber brake lines with new TUV  braided stainless steel lines.
Get a carb screw kit with o rings from RPM,
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=carbkit
Learn about the FJ Mikuni BS 36CV carbs, find someone local with an ultrasound cleaner for cleaning the carbs. Buy new tires, plugs and battery. Plan on possibly needing a new fuel pump.

Remove plugs, squirt some penetrating oil into the cylinders, let stand over night. Remove left side crank cover, with a box end wrench, slowly, carefully rotate the crank back and forth in small increments, easy does it. If the piston rings break free, good...if not, squirt in more oil, let sit, and try again the next day....back and forth little at a time....
Repeat as necessary until the pistons break loose.
Never, never, never use the electric starter to do this... you will break rings, scratch cylinder walls and stretch the starter chain.
 Do it by hand.
Slowly. Little at a time. Easy does it.

Good on ya for doing this...let us know how we can help. Read our Files section
"We have miles and miles of files, pretty files of your forefathers fruit..."

Cheers lad

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3