News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Big Bore Cylinder Block - Where to check for cracks

Started by FJ1200W, April 11, 2024, 04:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1200W

Greetings
Where specifically does the older FJ1100 blocks crack after having big bore sleeves installed?
I'm taking mine to be checked, I hope to be able to point them to specific areas.
TIA
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

racerrad8

Are you referring to the cylinder block?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ1200W

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 12, 2024, 09:39:44 PMAre you referring to the cylinder block?

Randy - RPM

Yes Sir,

FJ1100 Block, sleeves for a 1314 kit installed long ago.

Many moons ago you have noticed one of the sleeves had dropped a small amount, so I had it milled.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

A friend has done some checking, I want to be sure we're looking where we need to be
Hope these pictures load:

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

Picture posting is an ancient lost art for me....

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

racerrad8

The dropped sleeve is very common when the sleeves are not properly installed into the block. We see it regulary.

The only place I could imagine a crack would be at the bore. When they machinee the bore of the block, if there isn't enough material, they can break through.

This is the reason we have to use the 1250/1300 cylinder block when installing the 1350 kits.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJ1200W

Thank you! This one is looking crack free - on more than one level
LOL
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

FJ1200W

All fixed - on to the pistons......
As the PO ran nitromethane, it seems the ring lands on the Wiseco pistons may have smashed themselves a bit tight.....
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

fj1289

Do you know what load of nitromethane he was using?  I seem to remember there were some notebooks included with it?  Maybe try half what he was using initially ...  :diablo: