News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

New In Here.

Started by Drect, December 16, 2023, 11:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drect

Good day,

Thanks for the add. I'm on the East coast of Canada, so it's stay inside and build your bike weather. I bought my first 91 FJ1200 back in the spring as a basket case and started the disassembly this week. I've rebuilt a lot of bike over time, and prefer the older ones like this. The newest one I have done was my 92 CBX and I just finished a CB900F for a guy this spring. I'm painting it 89 colours as I've liked that scheme the best. It has 44K Km. Does anyone know of a good place to purchase any parts in Canada? It sure saves on the 30% exchange and duty. At the moment, the only things I'm looking for to get started are steering head bearings, carb rebuild kits, and brake rotors that are OEM, or aftermarket that resemble the gold ones. (Less than $200 US for a pair, Thank you.) Also would anyone have the paint codes for the gold on the calipers and white and silver for the body. I'm looking forward to this build, it will be nice to be back on a sport tourer but I'll keep my 02 Geezer Glide. (02 Harley Ultra)

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Cheers

Drect

FJmonkey

Welcome Drect, I cannot wait to watch your progress. You will find plenty of support here. Finding parts can be tricky. Many members here have used of the on-line parts stores. They will take your order, then tell you they are out of stock. So you wait, the ship date passes and you have to call to get your money refunded. Best to call and make sure they have the stock. In the meantime, enjoy our digital campfire.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Drect

Thanks FJmonkey,

I can see how the parts search is hard. but I'm not in a rush, just want it done for next summer.

Millietant

Welcome in Drecht, your 91 should be a great bike when it's done.

A couple things from your opening post confuse me though (I'll mention them later in this post) and I don't think your $200 CDN will get you any decent "replica" original discs - a lot of owners have used Arashi discs (wavy) and are very happy with them.... and they're under $200 a pair  :good2:

There's a couple of things that confused me about you post though - 1) I don't recall Honda makng the CBX In 1992......and 2)
I don't understand what you mean by saying you painted a CB 900 in '89 colours - they weren't making the CB 900 in 89, what colours did you use for your 900. The paintwork in the CB 900 images you posted don't look like any Yamaha colour scheme I've seen.

I could do with a little help  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

aviationfred

Welcome to the Forum  :hi:

It definitely will be fun watching this build.

I can't help with Canadian parts sources. I can help with some links that will help with ideas for what to look for and paint codes.

Here is a link for front rotors. Yes, these are made in China. Many FJ owners have upgraded their rotors using these. The Arashi brand has a long history of usage on the FJ's.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/285327529290?hash=item426ed8954a:g:dwQAAOSwzp1kht80&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4O6LaxMXUIdh1DOdQYde3E3Oum8AvBT25%2BnrOasCItLtTevK8q0V7kT%2BjvUZ4oZWMLBSxjQ%2BHZB5d%2BLCBeIiH1fY3NuKxy%2B9KU1eoL0WV9v9caZMxnjMy7rEWW4VzIXeaY0GVxeFfaRFye%2F1UN46a6MYocXhgoduXuwLhCXms%2FxhBrxzLYJjJDq%2FVYtV3MlaL4IHUsiBz8upzRVL5xSJenF7nZnXxoSK1UVPWx15x7S5cwpW%2BQiaYwhYmvDIQ9yN6GvUyudRtvmjOVl3Ay6MqIMPqpP2bMoe95g7PKnFza5S%7Ctkp%3ABFBMzvbd0o5j

I don't know if Colorrite will ship to Canada. Maybe there is a Canadian distributor.

Here is the color and code for the White.

https://www.colorrite.com/product/yamaha-00ge-silky-white-sw-1752.cfm

Here is the color and code for the Silver.

https://www.colorrite.com/product/yamaha-000l-marble-silver-mas-1810.cfm

For your 89 decals. I highly recommend this site. I believe they are based in Canada.

http://www.bdesigns.ca/88_FJ1200_act.htm

Fred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Drect

Good day Millietant,

Sorry to confuse you with my post, I will clarify.

- I have seen the Arashi discs, I'm not sure where you get them for under $200pr, please pass that on as around $275 CDN here in The Cold Country.

- Honda made the CBX from 79-82, the pic is not mine but exactly the same.

- As for the paint, I was talking about painting my 91, 89 FJ colours, not the CB900 I finished in the spring.

Drect

Hello Aviationfred,

Thank you for the info. I like the rotors but as I said to Millietant, they are $275 CDN, I'll take my time and sand and paint mine first if I have too. Thank you for the colour codes, I have a Friend with a body shop that can mix it for me with all the codes provided. BDdesigns are in Kitchener, Ontario, and I have spoken to them and yes they have all the decals required. Great info Fred, still a couple of weeks of cleaning and sanding before I get to the paint.

Cheers

Dan

Millietant

Quote from: Drect on December 17, 2023, 01:54:27 PM
Good day Millietant,

Sorry to confuse you with my post, I will clarify.

- I have seen the Arashi discs, I'm not sure where you get them for under $200pr, please pass that on as around $275 CDN here in The Cold Country.

- Honda made the CBX from 79-82, the pic is not mine but exactly the same.

- As for the paint, I was talking about painting my 91, 89 FJ colours, not the CB900 I finished in the spring.

Ah, I see now, it's probably just a typo in your first post where you mentioned a 92 CBX.

Arashi discs here in the UK are around £1300-150 per pair, so with the current exchange rate it looks like $200CAD is, as you mentioned, not enough - must admit the last time I was in Canada, the exchange rate was much more favourable to you.

Anyway, good luck with your refurbishment of the original discs, if they're within service limits, sorting out the cosmetics as you're doing, will be a much cheaper option :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.