News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Replacing my motor gaskets

Started by Rad, January 07, 2024, 03:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad

Hello all.
I have not been on for a while because I have been battling cancer.
I have be dealing with this for over 4 years and had to go through some ugly stuff the last 6 months, hopefully in the next year or so I will have won this battle!

So after saying that, I want to rebuild my fj motor, it has a oil leak I'm think from the bottom gasket.
So me thinking I have to take it right apart I also might look at making this a fj 1300!

I have seen a few people have done this but wonder if it's worth it?

Also does anyone have a video of any of this? Motor rebuild, making it a 1300?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank, Ray
AKA, Rad

red

Quote from: Rad on January 07, 2024, 03:16:05 AMHello all.
I have be dealing with this for over 4 years and had to go through some ugly stuff the last 6 months, hopefully in the next year or so I will have won this battle!
So after saying that, I want to rebuild my fj motor, it has a oil leak I'm think from the bottom gasket.
So me thinking I have to take it right apart I also might look at making this a fj 1300!
I have seen a few people have done this but wonder if it's worth it?  Also does anyone have a video of any of this? Motor rebuild, making it a 1300?
Thank, Ray
AKA, Rad
Ray,

Best wishes on your battle.  We will be pulling for you.

Worth it? Unless you have excess money and time, I would suggest just replacing gaskets, or whatever is leaking, and keeping the bike stock.
First thing though, clean up the oil leak thoroughly, then spray the area of the leak with aerosol body powder.
The white powder will pinpoint the leak soonest, before oil can go everywhere and confuse the hunt.  Repeat as necessary to be sure.
Once you know where the problem lives, you can deal with it without wasted moves.
The successor to the FJ model is the Yamaha FJR1300.  I have an FJ and an FJR. 
I do like the FJ, but the FJR is undoubtedly the best motorcycle I have ever owned: strong, smooooth, and fuel injected. 
I ride both, with my choice depending on the day and the trip.
Hang tough, there.

Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

aviationfred

Quote from: Rad on January 07, 2024, 03:16:05 AM

I have seen a few people have done this but wonder if it's worth it?

Also does anyone have a video of any of this? Motor rebuild, making it a 1300?
Thank, Ray
AKA, Rad

Hoping that your health is on the mend for 2024.

An oil leak at or near the bottom of the engine is most likely the oil pan gasket. The bolts have a low torque of 7.2lbs-ft. The bolts have been known to loosen and even fall out. Easy to check and the gasket can be changed after dropping the exhaust.

As for making your FJ1200 into a FJ1300..... I think that if you want to make it a 1300....You don't need a reason or justification
Just do it.......
Here is a link to my 1297cc engine build. I don't have a video of the build.

https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14834.0

I do have a video slide show of my 1995 FJ1200 rebuild that is NOT done as a tutorial. It may be helpful....

https://youtu.be/4SvXc2o_vR4?si=Jb65omKPTDxW-ruW

As a footnote..... I rebuilt the engine and increased the displacement due to high oil consumption. Could I have honed the cylinders and installed New OEM rings, Absolutely. Have I had any second thoughts after the added expense of bumping the displacement up 109cc's? Not even a glimmer of a thought.

Fred

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Rad

Quote from: red on January 07, 2024, 09:16:59 AM
I have seen a few people have done this but wonder if it's worth it?  Also does anyone have a video of any of this? Motor rebuild, making it a 1300?
Thank, Ray
AKA, Rad
Ray,

Worth it? Unless you have excess money and time, I would suggest just replacing gaskets, or whatever is leaking, and keeping the bike stock.
First thing though, clean up the oil leak thoroughly, then spray the area of the leak with aerosol body powder.
The white powder will pinpoint the leak soonest, before oil can go everywhere and confuse the hunt.  Repeat as necessary to be sure.
Once you know where the problem lives, you can deal with it without wasted moves.
I do like the FJ, but the FJR is undoubtedly the best motorcycle I have ever owned: strong, smooooth, and fuel injected. 
Hang tough, there.

Quote from: red on January 07, 2024, 09:16:59 AM
Thank, Ray
AKA, Rad
Ray,

Hang tough, there.

Thanks all for the info,
As for time I have nothing but time as for knowledge that how by oldest brother comes in. He was a top notch  Motorcycle's Mechanic all his life, and  he really doesn't know what I want to do yet, but he will soon. As I told him
Last year when he came with me to get this bike that even though he is retired if he is getting me back into biking again he has to be my mechanic .
Winter in Vancouver Canada maybe a good time to tell him we are going to be busy for a few weeks.
Thanks again for the info and the good health wishes, glad to be part of this FJ brother hood!

aviationfred

I forgot to mention.....
The photo that I posted was taken the end of September 2023 on The Tail of the Dragon and the 1297cc engine in the bike has about 20,000 miles on it. To the best of my knowledge the engine has not had the bottom end touched.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor