News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

New to the forum

Started by RidingAgain, December 20, 2023, 11:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidingAgain

Finally have a FJ1200 a 1990 beautiful dark blue with some minor cracked plastic. Have admired them since the FJ1100 came out. Kids are grown so no more reasons not to start riding again.  Only draw back on this bike is the chain, almost went for a FJR1300 for the shaft drive, but the desire always went back to the FJ1200 so I guess I will learn to maintain the chain.  Started riding dirt bikes as a kid, then street bikes, have ridden coast to coast and am looking forward to doing that and much more on the FJ1200.  but before riding this beast on the road I need to bring my street skills back up with a safety course.  Really looking forward to riding the roads again.
Cheers 
Cheers
1990 FJ1200 new to me 2023

FJmonkey

Welcome to the FJ world. The plastics are fixable, the bike easy to work on. Big plus on the safety course, keep the rubber side down.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Welcome to the Forum   :hi:

Chain technology has come along ways since the FJ was 1st introduced. A modern, high end chain will easily do 20,000 miles with proper maintenance.
All of my bikes use a 530 chain. My go to chain is the EK brand 530 Z3D. It has one of the highest tensile strength ratings and the mileage longevity is there.

The 1st photo is an add photo, 2nd photo is a EK530 Z3D on my Streetfighter 1200

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Pat Conlon

Welcome! I hear you on the chain concerns. What I have learned thru the years is that FJ's are hard on chains, *so buy a top quality chain* After the initial break in, I have found very little stretch thru the life of the chain. I use the DID ZVM chain and I can get 40-50k miles. I replace both my sprockets and chain at the same time. I run my chains on the loose side of adjustment. A loose chain is a happy chain.

Cheers.  Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Millietant

I'm with Pat 100% on this - my chains last 40,000 miles with only occasional cleaning and regular spray-on lubrication (GT85). Hardly ever need adjustment after initial break in........and I don't always ride slowly !!!!!
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Chainlube

Quote from: aviationfred on December 22, 2023, 08:52:01 PMWelcome to the Forum   :hi:

Chain technology has come along ways since the FJ was 1st introduced. A modern, high end chain will easily do 20,000 miles with proper maintenance.
All of my bikes use a 530 chain. My go to chain is the EK brand 530 Z3D. It has one of the highest tensile strength ratings and the mileage longevity is there.

The 1st photo is an add photo, 2nd photo is a EK530 Z3D on my Streetfighter 1200
Fred

Hi Fred.  Where did you find the chain guard?

red

Riding,

Welcome to the madhouse.   :biggrin:   These days, you can get O-ring and X-ring chains.  They ride long and hard. Replace the sprockets with the new chain, as noted above. The take-offs will be backups for you.  RPM owns this forum, and it's a great source for FJ-specific parts and accessories. We can also out-source many parts that will keep you rolling.  This link is for the California model, and there is a similar page for the non-CA bikes.  Several on-line FJ shops have these Parts Fiches:

FJ1200 parts

Keep us posted.  We like pix.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.