News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

RPM fork valves cleaning/flushing

Started by jvb_ca, September 07, 2023, 03:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvb_ca

I am re-doing front fork seals on my 86 with 91 forks fitted with Randy's RPM valves etc. Leaky seals after a few years with these forks has me doing a rebuild....seals/bushing/sliders etc. My question is, what should I be using to flush out or clean the valves? The oil was stinky, as always, and a fair bit of crud in there. Cleaning tubes and legs is easy enough, but I want to flush out/clean the valves, but not sure if varsol, or spirits are good for these? Was there some sort of thread locker used in assembly? Or am I being to anal????
Any info muchly appreciated.
Oh, new brake pads and a good cleaning of calipers and discs are in order as well, as fork oil made a mess of left side.
Cheers...Jake
Cheers...Jake
86FJ1200
Ontario

RPM - Robert

Pop the plastic seals off the outer edge and clean them with whatever you want. The rest of the parts are aluminum, brass, and stainless shims.

jvb_ca

Quote from: RPM - Robert on September 07, 2023, 03:47:22 PM
Pop the plastic seals off the outer edge and clean them with whatever you want. The rest of the parts are aluminum, brass, and stainless shims.

Perfect, Thanks Robert.  :good2:
Cheers...Jake
86FJ1200
Ontario