News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

New brakes time

Started by Waiex191, July 30, 2023, 09:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waiex191

When I got my FJ going again a few years ago, the old EBC rotors were corroded from leaking brake fluid.  I bought blue spots and used them as is - pads and seals.  A couple of years ago I bought a new set of EBC rotors from the classifieds here, and ordered new pads and a caliper rebuild kit from RPM.  Time to do this.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Millietant

Stopping is even more important than going Bryan - wise move and hopefully you get to put them to good use for the rest of the summer :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Waiex191

Very true Dean!

I popped out my first pair of pistons tonight.  Thanks FJ Hooligan for the tip:
Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on June 15, 2020, 02:00:22 PM
For monoblocks, I tie wrap one side of pistons in place and force the opposing pistons out.  I then remove the seals and reinstall the pistons, tie wrap them and blow the remaining side out.

As you probably already know, watch out for your fingers.

Hard to get in there to pop out the seals.  Any techniques?  The OEM calipers are easier because they come apart.  I could have kept fussing with it but it was time to call it a night, so I thought I'd ask the group.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Pat Conlon

I do one side at a time.
1) Clamp pistons on one side,
2) use air to pop out the opposite side pistons.
3) with the pistons out, replace the seals on that side, put the pistons back in....
4)  now clamp the rebuilt side and pop out the pistons on the opposite side.

Cheers.   Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Waiex191

Thanks Pat!  I have got that sequence figured out. I'm just having a hard time prying out the old seals and am looking for tips/tools for that task.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Millietant

Quote from: Waiex191 on August 02, 2023, 07:18:54 AM
Thanks Pat!  I have got that sequence figured out. I'm just having a hard time prying out the old seals and am looking for tips/tools for that task.

Once you have the pistons out, the seals should come out easily with a 90 degree/right angle pick tool.  :good2:

I usually use the Pick to gently start off the cleaning process of the seal grooves too.
Dean

Waiex191

Thanks guys, I did get them out with a pick.  I've done the preliminary cleaning and time to put them back together.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Waiex191

Sadly I have not made any progress on this project until last night.  I had found some issues with the airplane, and had some scheduled maintenance due on the airplane as well, so that diverted me for a couple of weeks.  Last night I did get the new RPM caliper seals in and installed the pistons.  My blue spots look awesome inside.  The stock FJ calipers were always a mess of corrosion when I had to service them.  It was easier to work on them though since they came apart. 

Time to get cracking on the FJ though.  My trusty GN400 has killed another headlight bulb, I discovered the tail lights were all out, and the only thing that sort of worked were the turnsignals.  A 6V non-counterbalanced signal is always going to be sketchy electrically.  Thank heavens the ignition is not dependent on the electrical system.

I also bought a new rear tyre and an RPM fork brace.  As much as I'd like to do the whole USD forks thing, the fork brace is probably the more practical route.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Waiex191

Finally back on the wheels. I started bleeding the brakes but had to call it a night. Was brutally hot in the hangar last night.  I may ride it without the fender until I can fix the mounting tabs.  On the airplane topic I've also finished my cockpit lighting. Time to start flying at night.

Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Waiex191

I've had stubborn brakes before.  But my blue spots are killing me.  Not too bad when I first put them on, but since I've rebuilt the calipers I can't get them to bleed.  I'm not seeing any leaks.  What I've tried to do for extra credit is to pop the calipers off, pump the pistons out a ways, then push them back in to force the fluid up.  I've also pumped up the brakes, held the lever to the bar with a bungee, let it set, then cracked the banjo fitting at the master.  No joy.  Any ideas?  I don't see any leaks.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

red

Quote from: Waiex191 on August 30, 2023, 10:31:40 PMI've had stubborn brakes before.  But my blue spots are killing me.  Not too bad when I first put them on, but since I've rebuilt the calipers I can't get them to bleed.  I'm not seeing any leaks.  What I've tried to do for extra credit is cracked the banjo fitting at the master.  No joy.  Any ideas?  I don't see any leaks.
Waiex,

You prolly know, RPM has banjo bleeder bolts for the handlebar master cylinders.  Good stuff.
SpeedBleeders.com may be good help also.  Makes bleeding hydraulic systems into an easy, one-person job.

It's just me, but unless you are launching/landing at an airport in the 'burbs (with lotsa streetlights below), solo night flying may be unwise.  Even then, an area-wide power failure could remove that good ground reference, leaving only blackness below. Got a radar (absolute) altimeter? Your call, of course.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

RPM - Robert

Tie the brake lever back with a zip tie over night. Voila insta brakes. 15 years ago now I had the same problem on an FJ, and someone suggested this, no damn way it would work. Sure as hell brake lever was hard as a rock the next morning.

Millietant

I've had similar issues with both brakes and clutch (not just my FJ) - the solution was "reverse bleeding", pushing fluid in through the caliper bleed nipples and watching the trapped air bubble out of the fluid at the master cylinder. Just do it carefully, with cloths around the open master cylinder top to catch any splashes.
Dean

Waiex191

Quote from: RPM - Robert on August 30, 2023, 11:43:23 PM
Tie the brake lever back with a zip tie over night. Voila insta brakes. 15 years ago now I had the same problem on an FJ, and someone suggested this, no damn way it would work. Sure as hell brake lever was hard as a rock the next morning.
I've tried this a couple of times, no joy.

Dean I may need to buy another tool. But I'm also thinking there is a leak somewhere.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL