News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Suzuki Bandit mirrors on '91 FJ1200

Started by caverman, May 21, 2023, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caverman

Since there wasn't a whole lot of info about these mirrors when I got my FJ, I thought I would post the little bit that I had for someone else to have reference down the road.

When I bought my '91 FJ the mirrors were horrible. I could only see my elbows and because they were older and messed up there was no adjustment on them. When I came here on the forum for suggestions, it was recommended to use 2007-2011 Suzuki Bandit mirrors. I was told I would need to slightly modify the mounting brackets but I had no other details than that and no one had pictures for reference. So, figured I would post a few pictures from my install.

I picked up a set of mirrors off of eBay for about $30. I also bought a cheap Dremel tool attachment that had a small rounded head meant for light metal. I've attached some pictures of the stock bracket, plus the amount of metal I had to remove, and then them test fitted on the fairing. I ended up having to elongate both bolt holes plus take off a bunch of the extra metal at the end of each bracket. Hopefully the pics will give you an idea on how much will need to be taken off. Once I was satisfied that enough was taken off and it would fit like I wanted, I taped off everything except for the exposed metal and then sprayed it with a couple coats of flat black. I had about an hour or so of time into cutting and then test fitting to get the right fit that I was happy with.

This set up worked perfect. I could see 100x better and way beyond my elbows. I thought the looked really good as well. I would 100% recommend this mirror upgrade. I don't know enough about which year models you would use these on an FJ but I'm sure someone else can post that. I know there are different mirror recommendations depending on the year of FJ you have.

I no longer own this FJ so these are all the pics I have but I wanted to pass this along for someone else.
1991 FJ1200
1986 Fazer

Pat Conlon

Thanks Dave. After folks comment on your mod, I will move your post over to the Modification Files section for ease of future reference.

You did such a fine job with this FJ, I hope you get another.

Thanks again.   Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

aviationfred

I have been telling people for years that the best mirrors for the 91-96 FJ's are the 2007-2009 Bandit S mirrors. They look good and you can really see what is behind you.

Just like Dave, I no longer own this FJ.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Ted Schefelbein

I have an '89 FJ, and was tired of looking at my elbows. I bought a generic (Chinese copy, $23 on the 'bay) set of CBR600 mirrors for my bike. They bolted right on, no modification to anything, and while they may or may not be the best, they are a tremendous improvement over what I had.

Much recommended.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

Millietant

Quote from: aviationfred on May 24, 2023, 01:07:45 AM
I have been telling people for years that the best mirrors for the 91-96 FJ's are the 2007-2009 Bandit S mirrors. They look good and you can really see what is behind you.

Fred

Your mirrors look quite different to Dave's, Fred and they don't appear to stick out as far (but look better to me, sorry Dave). Are they both the same?
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

aviationfred

Quote from: Millietant on July 19, 2023, 12:26:51 PM
Quote from: aviationfred on May 24, 2023, 01:07:45 AM

Fred

Your mirrors look quite different to Dave's, Fred and they don't appear to stick out as far (but look better to me, sorry Dave). Are they both the same?

After zooming in on the photos. The mirrors that Dave used and the mirrors on my FJ are the same. The difference I'd that that stalks have been swapped. One set is backwards.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor