News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

How to take off the side panel?

Started by caverman, April 21, 2023, 09:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caverman

Ok, here goes with the start of my newbie questions. I've searched on Google and all I can find is how to take the front fairing off. Do they just pop on? When I look at pictures of side panels for sale it looks as though it's mostly brackets. I'm ultimately trying to gain access to the rear brake reservoir.
1991 FJ1200
1986 Fazer

big r

They are just in rubber grommets. Just pop off. If the grommets a old they will be stiff just be careful

T Legg

If they are old and stiff and your worried about breaking a tab you can put a couple drops of oil on them . When you remove the seat to take the side panels off you can easily reach the top tabs. I put a thumb behind on both sides of the tab and pry out to put the least stress on the plastic . If your grommets are new rubber it's easy.
T Legg

red

Quote from: caverman on April 21, 2023, 09:52:20 PMOk, here goes with the start of my newbie questions. I've searched on Google and all I can find is how to take the front fairing off. Do they just pop on? When I look at pictures of side panels for sale it looks as though it's mostly brackets. I'm ultimately trying to gain access to the rear brake reservoir.
Caverman,

The side panels attach with tabs pressed into grommets.  If your grommets are stiff and difficult, spray silicone lube (with the skinny red straw) will help.  Oil rots and swells rubber.  Silicon lube works very well, and it protects the rubber.  You can replace old OEM grommets with round grommets (of the correct size) from any auto parts store.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

caverman

So what I'm gathering is that I remove the seat and then just pull the side panel towards me and it should pop out?
1991 FJ1200
1986 Fazer

Old Rider

Quote from: caverman on April 23, 2023, 02:03:56 PM
So what I'm gathering is that I remove the seat and then just pull the side panel towards me and it should pop out?

No... Like Travis said with seat removed you take the rear of the panel out a little then put your hand up and reach inside of the the backside of the panel.Then try to push it out.
I have fresh grommets and use white grease on them then the sidecovers popp off easy. you can also use silicone as red suggested.