News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello Everyone

Started by Meraco, April 11, 2023, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meraco

I go by Meraco, I live in London, Ontario Canada. When I was 19 years old I bought my third bike. The 1988 FJ 1200. I didn't get to keep it long as poor decisions involving a girlfriend made me have to part with it in less than one year.

For years I thought about that bike. I even had dreams about it from time to time.

One day I was randomly looking at YouTube vids where I stumbled onto a few FJ 1200 vids. the sound.. the sight of it.. brought it all back. and I had a craving. So I looked at Kijiji to see if anyone was selling one. I knew it would be a long shot, but I searched anyway.. to my surprise I saw about 4 or 5 being sold. Many of them had long mileage on them in the 100,000 km range

Until I saw one that took me by surprise.  It looked good in the pics. and the price was reasonable at 3,000 CAD. and what surprised me most was that it only had 27,000 KMs on it. Seems the 3rd owner had it sitting in a garage for years taking out maybe once or twice a season to ride it.

So I immediately called him and bought the Bike. He said I was the first caller of 25 and he would hold it for me. I had someone take me to his place which was 300kms away. With the intent to ride it home. It was certified, and I arranged the insurance.

I gota tell you.. after not riding it for 34 years and getting back on I was shaking after my first around the block ride. I thought to myself.  Maybe this was a bad idea.. but I went through with it. Taking back roads I got it home. it took way longer than I was planning with frequent stops.. Seems my 50 year old butt was not like my 19 year old butt was.

This was last June 21, 2022. I have since put on about 6,000 kms and found a bike shop that dealt in vintage bikes. They did a full tear down by my request to make sure all was in good order. and I had a new chain put on,  bled all the fluids, had a valve shim job done on it and a carb cleaning and re-synch done. over the course of the summer.

After all these years it amazes me how my youth was recaptured on this bike. So much so my staff and wife said this was my midlife crisis. Maybe so. but its a good way to explore that mid life.

Cheers everyone...

Meraco

Also after looking for a long time I was able to find a new windshield for it from MRA. Seems it was fabricated in Germany then sent to Miami at MRA then on to London, Ontario. It wasen't cheap.. 400.00 CAD for it.. I of course told the wife it was 75 bucks..

Can't wait to try it.

FJmonkey

Welcome, good looking Theft Deterrent White and Red you picked up. My third favorite color for the stock FJ. So many good things you can do to improve the FJ. Upgrades from RPM, 17" rear, spin-on oil filter... The  FJ rabbit hole can be deep. Very fun, very deep. Enjoy the miles and find an FJ  rally near you.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

gdfj12

I don't consider the '89 Silky White and Silver to be theft deterrent. My example was stolen I 1994 only a couple months after I got it. And after it was rear ended too.
It did get recovered, 2 weeks later 2 blocks from where it was stolen when the thief crashed it. :Facepalm:

I still have it but replaced all of the painted parts with the 1990 blue& black scheme.
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project

fj1289

Welcome back to the FJ fold!

Millietant

Welcome to the Mad House - it's a great place for any FJ owner

:good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

gdfj12

I see you are in or near London, ONT. You should consider coming to the East Coast Spring FJ Rally in Boone, NC (3rd weekend in May) and/or the East Coast Fall FJ Rally in Tellico Plains, TN (3rd weekend in Sept.) There is another Canadian near Mississauga, ONT that used to ride an FJ and usually makes it to one of the rallies. Lots of fun riding, sitting around a campfire in the evenings and lots of camaraderie.
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project

red

Meraco,

Man, that bonfire makes me think of the old Native American proverb:

"Red man builds a small fire, sits up close, and keeps warm.
White man builds a big fire, keeps warm by hauling wood."  
   :biggrin:
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Pat Conlon

Welcome back Meraco, thanks for the introduction, loved the story, esp. the $75 windscreen...LOL I can relate.
When my boss lady finds out the cost of all the parts I've bought for my FJ's, I play the safety card....
.....and it always works.

"Honey, I know it's expensive but it will make my bike safer.....and you want that.....right?"
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3