News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Phone holder

Started by twood1972, March 14, 2023, 06:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twood1972

Hey folks.
I'm looking for a phone mount. I've had Ram Mount on some of my other bikes that fit in the stem. Wondering if there are some alternatives. With so many out there, I'm having an issue picking one out. What do you have and do you like it? My bike is stock.
Thanks!
TIMOTHY

Pat Conlon

The best phone holder is in your tank bag....

Geeeze Louise, I just sounded like my dad....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

twood1972

Nice Pat. I'm reluctant to use a tank bag for a few reasons.
TIMOTHY

RPM - Robert

These work well and we have sold a bunch for FJ use. The bag is small enough it isn't up against you all the time, yet it is expandable to accommodate some larger items or more item for longer trips. The ring keeps the bag from resting on the tank and scratching the paint or blocking the vent and siphoning fuel up and ruining the paint. They also have some "hard" shell attachable bags that we can get too as we are a GIVI dealer.

Givi Expandable 15L Tanklock Bag
Givi Tank Lock Ring for FJ 1200

I know what ever ebay special phone holder crashmasters had didn't work as his phone flew off in front of us and almost took a few of us out at one of the RPM rallies.

Millietant

I must admit that I think the only place for a phone when on a bike, is out of sight.

Lots of riders with bar mounts say they only use it for Sat Nav, but every one seen, they leave their text/message and phone notifications switched on - a phone on your handlebar is a dangerous temptation, especially on high speed high density roads.

Inside a tank bag, or in a pocket are the only places I'd have a phone while riding.

I probably sound like your Grandad Pat !!!!!!!!
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Bones

93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

andyoutandabout

Being a cheap bugger, I just velcro it to the fairing panel. Initially I thought it might fly off, but it didn't during a couple of thousand miles round Europe last year, so job done.
life without a bike is just life

twood1972

Andy. Not a bad idea. It wouldn't be a concern but I'm planning on a trip across the Mackinaw bridge this summer and would like to use navigation for the trip. Opportunity to concentrate on the ride and the scenery rather than "am I on the right road?"
TIMOTHY

aviationfred

Quote from: Bones on March 15, 2023, 03:39:26 PM
https://www.quadlockcase.com.au/?tw_source=google&tw_adid=&tw_campaign=19685199073&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2cWgBhDYARIsALggUhrUxTkRLmTLvCRRmjVF0QnPQNNaNjrItADA2vUqkxrph_RLohLmy_UaAuNxEALw_wcB

I second what Bones has posted.

I like the stem mount version. I drilled a hole through the steering stem acorn nut.
There is a drawback for this system. The phone case is what actually attaches to the Quad lock mount. I don't know of all the brands or models that are available. I know for a fact that you can get a phone case for the Samsung Galaxy 'S' series. From the S10 to the S23.

Here is my personal plug for this option. Quad lock has a shock absorber attachment that minimizes vibration and shocks to your phone. This is important on some i phones and other phones. I had a Samsung Galaxy Halo J7 that lost the ability for the lens on the main camera to focus due to a spirited ride on a very bumpy road following Randy and Frank during the 2019 RPM Rally. I have been using the Quad lock on my FJ and 3 of my VFR's for about a year now.

A photo of the mount on Casper and 2 of the VFR's

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

gdfj12

Timothy, if you don't already know, don't ride on the grating in the left lane on the Mighty Mac. It can be done but it is very unsettling and feels like you will lose control.  I did it for a few seconds once on my FJ and it was the diametric opposite of the normal FJ handling, you know, like it's riding on rails.

Quote from: twood1972 on March 15, 2023, 09:10:31 PM
Andy. Not a bad idea. It wouldn’t be a concern but I’m planning on a trip across the Mackinaw bridge this summer and would like to use navigation for the trip. Opportunity to concentrate on the ride and the scenery rather than “am I on the right road?”

George D
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project