News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Gear selector and drum

Started by Gamut, February 28, 2023, 09:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamut

Need some advice - busy putting an FJ1200 donor gearbox into the FJ1100.
First picture - what is the little machined bit on the selector drum (as circled) which is not on the 1100 drum? I know it's standard from the factory, but what's the purpose?
I don't know the year model of the donor motor.
Second shot - my old selector fork compared to the donor unit. Though it shows some wear on it, will it be okay to use for the next couple of years? There is no way I can purchase a new selector at the current exchange rate and the state of our postal services (will probably go missing at customs).
Note that the motor has done 170 thousand km already.
Why is there a difference on the gear itself just out of interest.
'85 FJ1100
'83 XJ650
2016 XT1200

T Legg

If your replacing the transmission because it's jumping out of gear your old shift forks are probably bent by now. The newer longer shift forks are superior.
T Legg

Gamut

Apologies, this "thing" uploaded the same shot twice..
Yeah, I understand the replacement unit but my pocket understands the Rand / Dollar exchange rate better.
'85 FJ1100
'83 XJ650
2016 XT1200

Gamut

Quote from: T Legg on February 28, 2023, 10:30:40 AM
If your replacing the transmission because it's jumping out of gear your old shift forks are probably bent by now. The newer longer shift forks are superior.
Replacing the drum and selector forks. Strangely we cannot see that the original selector fork (2nd gear) is bent though.
'85 FJ1100
'83 XJ650
2016 XT1200

Pat Conlon

Why are you replacing these items?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Old Rider

Im no expert on gearboxes but im sorry to tell that those shiftforks are not good. Also the drum need to be inspected carefully it is hard to see with naked eye use a hi res camera
and look for wear on the groves.The thing you have circled on the drum from the 1200 i think is made for better shifting into second gear. Also take a close look at the geardogs if they
are worn.When i did the engine on my bike i first bought a used gearbox from ebay that turned out to be more worn than the one i already had in the engine.The gearbox i had in my engine
that is a 1200 was a 1100 gearbox that previus owner had installed not sure why he did that but i think at some time the clutchbasket exploded and the gearbox got replaced with a 1100 gearbox  . the bike did not have any second gear problem i just wanted a newer less worn  gearbox since i replaced almost everything in the engine
Anyway i bought a second complete gearbox  on ebay from a 1996 that was almost as new with the longer and stronger shift forks. The grove in the gears i guess is for better oiling.
il post a few picks that show places the drum gets worn

Gamut

Quote from: Pat Conlon on February 28, 2023, 01:34:15 PM
When selecting 2nd and pushing up on the pedal it stays in 2nd on moderate acceleration, otherwise it jumps back to first. I'm just changing the selector forks but the complete gearbox from the FJ1200 just looks better with less wear.
'85 FJ1100
'83 XJ650
2016 XT1200

Gamut

Quote from: Old Rider on February 28, 2023, 01:36:44 PM
Im no expert on gearboxes but im sorry to tell that those shiftforks are not good. Also the drum need to be inspected carefully it is hard to see with naked eye use a hi res camera
and look for wear on the groves.The thing you have circled on the drum from the 1200 i think is made for better shifting into second gear. Also take a close look at the geardogs if they
are worn.When i did the engine on my bike i first bought a used gearbox from ebay that turned out to be more worn than the one i already had in the engine.The gearbox i had in my engine
that is a 1200 was a 1100 gearbox that previus owner had installed not sure why he did that but i think at some time the clutchbasket exploded and the gearbox got replaced with a 1100 gearbox  . the bike did not have any second gear problem i just wanted a newer less worn  gearbox since i replaced almost everything in the engine
Anyway i bought a second complete gearbox  on ebay from a 1996 that was almost as new with the longer and stronger shift forks. The grove in the gears i guess is for better oiling.
il post a few picks that show places the drum gets worn
Thank you so much - nice input from your side especially with the pictures. There is no wear on the drum of the 1200 selector drum and very slightl on the original. The wear on the selector forks worries me a bit as the same wear can be seen on the second gear - the replacement gearbox has no wear or play on the shaft even though the selector fork does show some wear.
'85 FJ1100
'83 XJ650
2016 XT1200

Old Rider

Gamut Where on earth do you live?

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Gamut on February 28, 2023, 01:37:42 PM
When selecting 2nd and pushing up on the pedal it stays in 2nd on moderate acceleration, otherwise it jumps back to first. I'm just changing the selector forks but the complete gearbox from the FJ1200 just looks better with less wear.

Ok, then don't use those short shift forks, use the new longer 3XW forks that came out in 1991 and later FJ's.
Also check the gear for rounded engagement dogs, have it back cut if necessary.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Old Rider

Gamut i asked where you live because i think i still have the shift forks from the 1100 gearbox that sat in my bike when the engine was rebiulidt. And also have shiftforks from the 1200 gearbox that i bought from ebay but did not use because the gears looked worn the shiftforks looks good and my bike when the 1100 gearbox was installed did not have any 2 gear gearbox problems.
You can have them for free.One more thing to check is that the bearing on your shiftdrum runs smooth.

Gamut

Quote from: Old Rider on February 28, 2023, 02:20:27 PM
Gamut Where on earth do you live?
South Africe - the land of milk and honey (once upon a time long long ago). That is extremely kind of you but you're a very long way away. Thanks very much for the offer though.
'85 FJ1100
'83 XJ650
2016 XT1200

Gamut

Quote from: Pat Conlon on February 28, 2023, 02:48:34 PM
Quote from: Gamut on February 28, 2023, 01:37:42 PM

Ok, then don't use those short shift forks, use the new longer 3XW forks that came out in 1991 and later FJ's.
Also check the gear for rounded engagement dogs, have it back cut if necessary.
Will do some cutting on the gears then it's done. Thanks for that.
'85 FJ1100
'83 XJ650
2016 XT1200

Urx

Your shift forks on the left look entirely shot to me and I wouldn't be building an engine back up with the ones on the right either unless it was life/death and no alternative available.....
If you are offered better forks for the price of postage then surely thats a sensible approach no?
Stainless lines
Blue spot calipers but std m/cyl (so far)
Ebc prolite front discs
Ohlins remote adj rear shock
Remus 4:1
Still running original chain and sprockets from new (scotoilers really work)
Krauser k2s

Old Rider

I checked with a route planner and if you live in cape Town south africa it is 14352 KM or 8886 Miles and estimated time to drive shortest route that
is thru trans sahara desert highway is 191 hours and 25 minutes. That is a little too long ride  :biggrin:. But since im coming from the land of santa claus
i will go to the post office tomorow and check how much shipping is to South Africa.If it is not jaw dropping i will send the forks to you for free .
You can PM me your adress and name