News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Carb jetting recommendation FJ 1100

Started by balky1, February 25, 2023, 02:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPM - Robert

Sorry, just went a re read, I didn't realize you had the airbox on it still.

A 110-112.5 is what you need. We run a 117.5-120 with the pods and a few degrees of ignition timing on the 1100.

I would change the air bleed to a 155 or change the pilot to a 42.5, however. Either will work but it will make the bike start much easier and get off the need for choke quicker.

balky1

@Pat
Yes, that was the point of restriction I was aware of long time ago, but never looked at the jetting until now.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

balky1

Quote from: RPM - Robert on March 28, 2023, 10:38:43 AM
Sorry, just went a re read, I didn't realize you had the airbox on it still.

A 110-112.5 is what you need. We run a 117.5-120 with the pods and a few degrees of ignition timing on the 1100.

I would change the air bleed to a 155 or change the pilot to a 42.5, however. Either will work but it will make the bike start much easier and get off the need for choke quicker.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the next time, now is all buttoned up. Air pods are something for the future, after the rubbers on the air box deteriorate.
I am having problems in finding new fuel line so the tank is still not in position. Automotive high-pressure line that I tried to fit is just too stiff. Carbs are synced and seems ready to go.
One thing I've noticed while syncing was the slight popping through exhaust when on idle, after blipping. And idle dropping then returning to normal. It seems I've solved the problem with opening the mixture screws for 1 and 1/4 turns out. I hope I did ok (the problem is I have no idea how many turns out they were before, so I don't have the complete number of turns out - before me a mechanic was the last one to fiddle with it 50 000 km ago, always seemed a bit lean on idle so I suspect they were not that far out; honestly, I was afraid to fiddle with mixture screws because last time I couldn't get it to run ok)? But the test ride is still on hold to check. That will give some definite answers.
I did notice also that I went through about 750 mL to a litre of fuel while syncing which lasted some 45 minutes (with a fan). I never payed attention to such things so I'm not sure whether it is too much? Not leaking anywhere, floats at a range of about 22.7-22.9 mm, measured as per instructions here. Fuel level on the bench was spot on, but the manual says the bike needs to be running while measuring. Hence I don't know whether my bench fuel level means anything or nothing? I guess the test ride will give all the answers.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009