News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

exhaust pipe Gasket and clamp!

Started by Rad, February 09, 2023, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad

Hello all,
I recently received a set of new but old pipes for my 1992 FJ. On one of them, the clamp is broken and needs to be replaced the pipe is in great condition so I have no idea how this would have happened. Also, I have a new pipe gasket that doesn't seem to fit. I can put this gasket in the pipe end and the chamber end. I thought this had to go around the chamber end to seal the pipe when cranked down. So if anyone has an idea of a clamp that would work and some info on the gasket as to how to get this installed or maybe I have the wrong one. sorry new to this, I always had my Brother who was a mechanic fix these for me now I want to figure it out for myself. Cheers,
Rad

Rad

Quote from: Rad on February 09, 2023, 10:56:35 PM
Hello all,
I recently received a set of new but old pipes for my 1992 FJ. On one of them, the clamp is broken and needs to be replaced the pipe is in great condition so I have no idea how this would have happened. Also, I have a new pipe gasket that doesn't seem to fit. I can put this gasket in the pipe end and the chamber end. I thought this had to go around the chamber end to seal the pipe when cranked down. So if anyone has an idea of a clamp that would work and some info on the gasket as to how to get this installed or maybe I have the wrong one. sorry new to this, I always had my Brother who was a mechanic fix these for me now I want to figure it out for myself. Cheers,
Rad
OK, feeling kind of dumb, but I figured it out, I ordered the wrong gasket, a couple of beers later and I get smarter. I just have to find a solution to the clamping issue, maybe a couple of more beers and I will figure out that one as well!

red

Quote from: Rad on February 09, 2023, 11:28:01 PMI ordered the wrong gasket, a couple of beers later and I get smarter. I just have to find a solution to the clamping issue, maybe a couple of more beers and I will figure out that one as well!
Rad,

Assuming that the correct part is not available from Yamaha . . . An ordinary (or heavy-duty) automotive hose clamp may be strong enough for the job, just get the clamp with a wrench-headed screw adjuster.  Ask the parts guy for the strong ones, when buying.  Use a socket wrench to tighten it.  Enough force will either break the clamp or maybe do the job.  An ordinary automotive muffler clamp will do the job, but you will need to buy the right size, and it won't be pretty.  Put the fasteners under the pipe, out of sight.
  :yes:
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Rad

Quote from: red on February 10, 2023, 09:56:33 AM
Quote from: Rad on February 09, 2023, 11:28:01 PMI ordered the wrong gasket, a couple of beers later and I get smarter. I just have to find a solution to the clamping issue, maybe a couple of more beers and I will figure out that one as well!
Rad,

Assuming that the correct part is not available from Yamaha . . . An ordinary (or heavy-duty) automotive hose clamp may be strong enough for the job, just get the clamp with a wrench-headed screw adjuster.  Ask the parts guy for the strong ones, when buying.  Use a socket wrench to tighten it.  Enough force will either break the clamp or maybe do the job.  An ordinary automotive muffler clamp will do the job, but you will need to buy the right size, and it won't be pretty.  Put the fasteners under the pipe, out of sight.
Found a stainless steel one today that will look great and will do the job, along with my new re-upholstered seat, we are ready to go soon.

Rad

Quote from: Rad on February 10, 2023, 07:37:49 PM
Quote from: red on February 10, 2023, 09:56:33 AM
Rad,

Found a stainless steel one today that will look great and will do the job, along with my new re-upholstered seat, we are ready to go soon.

red

Quote from: red on February 10, 2023, 09:56:33 AMRad,
just get the clamp with a wrench-headed screw adjuster.  Ask the parts guy for the strong ones, when buying.  Put the fasteners under the pipe, out of sight.
Rad,

Good hunting!  Dat'll do 'er.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Urx

Liking the standard look seat  :good2: rather than the flames  :bad:
Stainless lines
Blue spot calipers but std m/cyl (so far)
Ebc prolite front discs
Ohlins remote adj rear shock
Remus 4:1
Still running original chain and sprockets from new (scotoilers really work)
Krauser k2s

Rad

Quote from: Urx on February 11, 2023, 01:52:46 AM
Liking the standard look seat  :good2: rather than the flames  :bad:

I didn't like the flames at all, still have that seat if anyone is interested!
Today I received my Collectors plates, I went down and insured this old girl right away. I  had the pleasure of about 2 hours of riding this afternoon.
It was a cold day In Vancouver but dry.
I had the pleasure of taking my son out for a short ride, then My fabulous wife who back in the day Bike pooled with me with my old FJ.
My lady would drop me off at work and then come and pick me up after work with my old white one, Love these bikes!
Thanks for all the info, great to see we have a big, huge family of FJ owners!
Cheers to all,
Rad, AKA, Ray

Rad

Quote from: red on February 10, 2023, 11:11:53 PM
Quote from: red on February 10, 2023, 09:56:33 AMRad,
just get the clamp with a wrench-headed screw adjuster.  Ask the parts guy for the strong ones, when buying.  Put the fasteners under the pipe, out of sight.
Rad,

Good hunting!  Dat'll do 'er.
Cheers Red, just needed a push in the right direction!

Pat Conlon

Good for you Rad! Spring is right around the corner and you will be ready! Kudos

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3